Hammer bullets

tagging in too. I have the 131 hh really zipping in a .280 AI. Deer or bear only targets this fall... Normally don't aim to hit the shoulder but this is hunting not shooting.

I think this has more to do with shot placement then anything along the lines of bullet problem. If I hit a shoulder I expect loss of meat, no matter the bullet/cartridge used. Looks like it did it's job to me.
Is that a bone fragments I'm seeing in the picture?
Nope. Bullet broke a couple of ribs that's it. Both leg bone structures were completely intact. I've punched both shoulders with barnes and accubonds and loose almost no meat. Both lungs would be jelly.

Tagging in. I just got some 155 HH for my new 284 Win. Also picked up some 124 HH for my 6.5x47.

Nope. Bullet broke a couple of ribs that's it. Both leg bone structures were completely intact. I've punched both shoulders with barnes and accubonds and loose almost no meat. Both lungs would be jelly.
I gotcha, sometimes things don't work 100% the way we want. Hitting living things with bullets going really fast is definitely an unpredictable event at times. I've lost lots of meat using Barnes, they zipped through and the animals weren't found for several days. I'd rather lose a little meat from a shoulder than the whole animal. We have different tastes and different experiences.
I will be admit to being a big advocate for the Hammer bullets, but will be the first to say I do not use them exclusively. For an extremely accurate close to mid range (600+ yards cartridge dependent) do-all hunting bullet I will recommend them most every time, I've nothing but exceptional experience. If you want a long range (or ELR) bullet for hunting or target then I'd say go for the Berger, Hornady, Cutting Edge Lazer offerings. If you shoot high volume and do not have unlimited funds, these may also not be the bullets for you.
Congrats on your successful deer hunt by the way, got any more pictures? Some of us aren't blessed in such a manner and have to live vicariously through others.:D

I gotcha, sometimes things don't work 100% the way we want. Hitting living things with bullets going really fast is definitely an unpredictable event at times. I've lost lots of meat using Barnes, they zipped through and the animals weren't found for several days. I'd rather lose a little meat from a shoulder than the whole animal. We have different tastes and different experiences.
I will be admit to being a big advocate for the Hammer bullets, but will be the first to say I do not use them exclusively. For an extremely accurate close to mid range (600+ yards cartridge dependent) do-all hunting bullet I will recommend them most every time, I've nothing but exceptional experience. If you want a long range (or ELR) bullet for hunting or target then I'd say go for the Berger, Hornady, Cutting Edge Lazer offerings. If you shoot high volume and do not have unlimited funds, these may also not be the bullets for you.
Congrats on your successful deer hunt by the way, got any more pictures? Some of us aren't blessed in such a manner and have to live vicariously through others.:D
I completely understand. Not bashing them. I have another hunt coming up so we'll see what happens. I'm set up with these bullets already.

The deer was a meat buck. It snowed the week prior. CA alpine blacktail are woosies. All they need is good rain storm and they migrate out. Our local zone was a bust for the wife si I filled the freezer with the only buck I saw in 3 days. I have a CA X zone tag also. I love they way they shoot. Hope this buck was a fluke.

Attachments

• IMG951592.jpg
    IMG951592.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 231
That was definitely hammered. how big was the exit?

I am running that bullet 200fps faster makes me wary now. i guess stay well off the shoulder for me.

My experience with light bullets going at fast speeds will do the type of damage that you have experienced with this bullet. To me that is hydrostatic shock, simple physics. If that deer had been shot with a 45-70 at that distance, the meat could have been eaten right up to the entrance hole. My experience with Barnes on black bear has been almost total destruction of a shoulder, or in the case of soft tissue massive hemorrhage on both the entrance and much more so on the exit hole; 225gr Barnes @2700fps (Whelen) and 180gr Barnes at 2800fps (30-06). I shot a 170lb doe @ 285yds with a 140gr Nosler partition bullet out of a 6.5 RemMag (3100fps), deer was facing me head on when I placed the shot center mass. Field dressing was quite simple as mostly everything inside ran out when the deer was opened. I would not be looking so much at the bullet, but more along the lines of muzzle velocity and shot placement. I have a .270 AI that I recently built, 150gr bullet @3300fps, that I intend to use on a deer hunt this year, I expect to experience the same meat damage on a deer.

I think this has more to do with shot placement then anything along the lines of bullet problem. If I hit a shoulder I expect loss of meat, no matter the bullet/cartridge used. Looks like it did it's job to me.
Is that a bone fragments I'm seeing in the picture?
I think you are correct. I am trying to do neck shots. Deer won't recover even if the bullets goes right through.

This deer got shot saturday morning. With a 155gr hammer hunter from a 284win LA at 2950fps. The shoulder or what was left of it had been removed for packing out. Lost 50% of the shoulder due to blood shot. Steep up hill shot at 425 yards. Bullet didn't hit any hard bone beside a couple ribs. Not sure what to think on these bullets. Deffineatly fragmented. The B.C. testing we did revealed .204 G7 for the 155s and .238 G7 for the 177s @ 240ft elevation 155s from a 1:8.5 and 177s from 1:8. B.C. much lower than advertised. Excessive damage to meat. Think I'll go back to Barnes unless I'm missing something.

i had a good friend who had something similar happen. he had read that the BCs were over stated, so that wasn't a surprise and he knew that going into it, but his blew up like that as well. He went back to barnes LRX. Accuracy was never a problem with the hammers - he was able to get some good groups with a little load development.

I've had the opposite I won't run Barnes anymore based on how guardian they are and longer shots not opening. The hammers on the other hand have been amazing. I shot a audad last year with my 6.5 at just under 3000fps and took out both shoulda and didn't have damage like that. Matter of fact they have all been perfect so far. Now keep in mind each bullet can have an issue. Say the stock it was cut from was just a bit softer that will happen but I will take that meat damage and a downed deer every time over a Barnes zipping through. Just my opinion.
I may be biased though as I've put down a lot of game with these Bullets in different calibers and have always had perfect performance.

i had a good friend who had something similar happen. he had read that the BCs were over stated, so that wasn't a surprise and he knew that going into it, but his blew up like that as well. He went back to barnes LRX. Accuracy was never a problem with the hammers - he was able to get some good groups with a little load development.
I'm going to try them again hoping it was a fluke. The BC is similar to barnes. Slightly better. I've shot barnes in the wind plenty so I good and wind calls on low BC any how. Just wasn't happy with this one experience. Time will tell. The shootability of these bullets are incredible. Hope it was just a one time or rear instance.

I've had the opposite I won't run Barnes anymore based on how guardian they are and longer shots not opening. The hammers on the other hand have been amazing. I shot a audad last year with my 6.5 at just under 3000fps and took out both shoulda and didn't have damage like that. Matter of fact they have all been perfect so far. Now keep in mind each bullet can have an issue. Say the stock it was cut from was just a bit softer that will happen but I will take that meat damage and a downed deer every time over a Barnes zipping through. Just my opinion.
I may be biased though as I've put down a lot of game with these Bullets in different calibers and have always had perfect performance.
Between 3 of us we have killed 200 plus animals from wild pigs to elk with barnes bullets and great success. I love the way the hammers shoot and will give the a second go in hope this was a rear thing.

This deer got shot saturday morning. With a 155gr hammer hunter from a 284win LA at 2950fps. The shoulder or what was left of it had been removed for packing out. Lost 50% of the shoulder due to blood shot. Steep up hill shot at 425 yards. Bullet didn't hit any hard bone beside a couple ribs. Not sure what to think on these bullets. Deffineatly fragmented. The B.C. testing we did revealed .204 G7 for the 155s and .238 G7 for the 177s @ 240ft elevation 155s from a 1:8.5 and 177s from 1:8. B.C. much lower than advertised. Excessive damage to meat. Think I'll go back to Barnes unless I'm missing something.
That is the norm for any fragmenting bullet. Their advantage is great accuracy and expansion at long range. If you are shooting less than 500 yards any bullet that will shoot accurately will work. Many of monolithic bullets like barnes tsx, Hornady gmx, etc will not open up consistently at longer ranges often just punching a pin hole. I rather lose a shoulder than a deer

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.