had it with chemical solvents? try an enzyme!

The ammonia is said to be in the tenth (.1) percentile or thereabouts. It is almost non-existent in the product. However, it does have a pretty strong ammonia smell but the instructions that come with it say that is actually the smell of the enzyme itself. The smell is not near as bad as CR-10 or Sweets though. I can clean with Coppermelt indoors with no fans and I can leave the windows closed. I can't do that with Sweet's.
Whatever is in the stuff does not hurt steel. I have had two of my barrels borescoped after using this product for 10 months and there was no damage at all. It was the first time that we could actually see all the way down to bare steel through all the moly residue. In my first post on this stuff, I mentioned putting this product on the outside of some barrel steel for a long time and it never even made a discoloration!

Hey goodgrouper,
I see that your at it again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Trying to convert some people who use crap to clean their barrels with - is like trying to switch poopsies nugie(security blanket). I sure am glad that you helped me switch my nugie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
See Ya Later,
slygunner

I was wondering about breaking in a new barrel. Is this cleaner a better way to break in a new barrel too?? If so what method should one follow? Thanks

This stuff is great for barrel break-in because it turns a 5 day job into about a 1 day job.

In the instructions that come with it, there is a whole section on how barrel break-in should be done with this product. It is fairly similair to normal product break-in, just a bunch faster! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have got to add a few comments on this topic,while I am as enthusiastic about coppermelt as goodgrouper ,I do not use a 17cal rod to clean my .22cal barrels. it is easy to take a 22cal nylon brush put it in a drill use a little sandpaper and make the brush the correct size then you dont have to use those whimpy 17cal rods.
Coppermelt works like nonother on copper but it's one drawback is that it does NOT remove hard carbon fouling so on some hotrod guns you must clean them the old fashioned way with a bronze brush once in a while to scrub out the hard carbon.
B

I just finished cleaning my .300 mag after my cow elk hunt and thought some of you might like to see a pic of how well Coppermelt works. I shot 43 shots down this barrel since the last time I cleaned it and it only took 5 patches to get it spotless. This barrel is well worn, and normaly takes about 2 hours to clean with Sweet's or Cr-10. But with coppermelt, it took about 15 minutes!!

patches.jpg

Hey G.

I'm glad you brought this topic back to the top. Not so much for the picture (which is quite impressive) but I remember when it was first posted I thought you wre some salesman trying to sell some all natural polyrazzmatazz Amway cleaner. That was before you got our attention with the elk thing. I never even noticed your name was on as the original poster until today. After reading this whole thread for the first time I must say I'm very interested in the product. It is a bit steep but if it gets all the fouling out in 10 or less patches it would seem worth it.

Thanks.

4ked Horn,
Yeah, my first post on this stuff did sound like I was a salesman. I wish I was, then maybe I'd get a discount on the stuff!

The price may seem high, but it actually isn't when you consider how much of it you use per cleaning. In the above pic, I only used 8 drops per patch. That is 48 drops per cleaning! It also saves you a grundle on patches. I have only used 1/4 the amount of patches this past year that I would have normally used with Sweets!

If you would like to try some, the Meridian, ID Sportsmans Warehouse should have it in stock.

If there is only one thing that people ever try that I have spoken of in all my posts on LRH, I would hope this product would be it. It is that good.

A few stupid questions but, you say wrap the patch around brush, are you literally rolling the bush up in the patch? Also what's the shelf life of this stuff? and do you use the standard patch size for the specific rifle size or a smaller or larger one?

Also I see on the website they say not to oil the barrel, have you oiled or not and if not have you noticed any rusting?

Thanks,
Ben

[ QUOTE ]
If you would like to try some, the Meridian, ID Sportsmans Warehouse should have it in stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they stock this stuff like they stock their J4 and SMK bullets then I will only find an empty space for it on the shelf. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'll go take a look when I get a chance. I only pass by that store 12 times a week.

OK Mr., what's up. Today 2/24/05 you post. - Yeah, my first post on this stuff did sound like I was a salesman. I wish I was, then maybe I'd get a discount on the stuff!

and then back on 12/29/04 you posted,
We just started carrying it at my place of work and I've got several dozen people started on it and all of them can't believe how good it works.

Are you trying to keep the best deals for yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif , didn't your mother teach you to share? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Come on you know you can do better than their $49 for 8oz and come on $8 shipping, that's $1 per once to ship, so what's our price/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif come on give it to us?? OK then e-mail it to me I don't much care where I recieve the good news as long as I recieve it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just picking, playin, messin with your head as I happened to be reading entire thread when I posted my other questions and seen you had just posted ahead of me. So I thought I might get ya going.

Have a Great Day!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Ben

Shadowman,
Yes, you actually wrap the patch around the brush so that the brush itself (wich has to be nylon) never actually touches the bore.
You buy a brush that is 3 or 4 calibers smaller than your bore then wrap a slightly larger than normal patch around the brush to make up the difference in brush-to-bore ratio.

Shelf life seems to be as long as any other solvent. I used just 1 bottle all year long and it was as good on the last drop as the first.

The instructions that come with the product say something about oiling only if you are not going to shoot your gun for a month or so, but I have been running oil in all my guns after cleaning just to be safe.

4ked Horn,
I see that you have shopped SW before! SW has been out of my 300 grain MK's for months now! Maybe when they open Cabelas 20 miles from my home this fall, I will be able to get my bullets finally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

One other thing I would like to add:
I just broke in the barrel on a .338 Lapua mag Improved today, and it has a 36" 3 groove, 10 twist Krieger 1.5" muzzle diameter barrel. It only took four patches to get it spotless for the first 8 shots. Then the barrel broke in and it was only taking 2-3. I got ten shots out of it in under 4 hours! I have broken in enough barrels with all the other popular solvents to know that I would only be on shot 4 or 5 by now, and Coppermelt more than doubles the speed of break-in. What used to take weeks now takes a day and a half!
I am VERY anal about doing break in right, and I am a local legend for wearing out brushes and using up whole cotton fields getting my guns broke in, but now it is easy. I shoot one shot and clean for the first 10 rounds, then shoot 2 and clean for the next ten, then shoot 3 and clean for the next ten. I also won't fire more than twenty rounds at a time until there are 100 rounds fired. Then I won't let it get even warm for the first 200 rounds.
And when I clean, if I detect even a hint of blue on the patch, I will keep cleaning until it is white,white, white!
I'm telling you that Coppermelt has turned this chore from a nightmare into a simple trip to the range one day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.