H50 bmg

tribb

Is it possible to use h50 bmg in. 270 win.or any other calibers than 50 bmg or other large clibers Safely ? I found 8 lbs have not bought it yet Thoughts and experiences please . Thanks Tribb

I ran it in a 300RUM pushing heavys
A couple years back it worked good but all ways ran out of case capacity retumbo and H1000 for that rifle

Is it possible to use h50 bmg in. 270 win.or any other calibers than 50 bmg or other large clibers Safely ? I found 8 lbs have not bought it yet Thoughts and experiences please . Thanks Tribb
That powder needs extremely large case capacity to be worthwhile. I use in it a 30-378 Wby, 33 XC and 408 Cheytac.
Completely worthless in a .270

It still might be worth buying so you have it to barter or trade for something else, very few shooters want to outright sell there stuff. Components are just to hard to come by.

Dean

PS: 8 pounds of powder is good to make only 200 rounds.
Ouch

Last edited:
I agree with it needing a much bigger case than a 270. I wanted to try it out in my 300 RUM, but the recipes I looked at showed running out of capacity and running compressed loads. I would look into scope-eye's idea about buying it and use it to trade for something you want.

I use it in 300WM, 270Bee, 7STW & 338-416 Rigby Improved. Trying it in 264WM, looks promising with 142g ABLR. Yet to get my hands on 156g Berger EOL.
Problem with anything smaller than a belted mag is case capacity, it is large kernel powder and takes up a lot of room. Every load I run is quite compressed.

Cheers.

It still might be worth buying so you have it to barter or trade for something else, very few shooters want to outright sell there stuff. Components are just to hard to come by.

Dean

Ouch
Come on now....238! 🤣 And the primers here in Canada are ONLY 53.00/100! 49 years reloading and the 50 before Treau-dumb banned it is the only caliber that actually costs MORE TO RELOAD...than factory shells cost!

Yup... you won't be at full speed though. The 50 cal. powders make for good shorter range paper punching with cartridges like the 270 win. I use wc872 in my 270 with a 130 blem for farting around loads. I'm at 69.5 grains with the pill seated to the lands. With 50bmg being a stick, you will prolly drop down to the mid 60's for top charge and still be rather compressed, but 2500-2700 fps should be on tap with a 130. You will want to either use vibration or a drop tube to get better load density in the case.
It might be a better option to find a slightly faster powder but if it's your only present option to shoot do it... Put enough load on the powder though (minimum of 130 grain pill- use mag. primer too..

Last edited:
Come on now....238! 🤣 And the primers here in Canada are ONLY 53.00/100! 49 years reloading and the 50 before Treau-dumb banned it is the only caliber that actually costs MORE TO RELOAD...than factory shells cost!
Hey, what do you care Skipy? You are wealthy and handsome. True-doe, or is it True-Dough, will surely give you an exemption if you take him to the hunting camp and show him all the beauties of nature. He can wear some of his costumes from other countries and maybe he will be your substitute gun-barer, though I like the original much better.

You can use it in a number of rifle cartridges, but you should not expect top velocities except in the more overbore cases. In the 90's, I bought a fair supply of inexpensive 8 lb jugs of mil surplus 50 cal powder, and I used a lot of it to make reduced velocity loads in everything from 6mm through 338. In my 300 RUM's, it gave decent results, and a couple of 25-06 loads. If the price is right and in our current environment, it can be an emergency powder for future needs, or as others have stated, buy and use for barter.

Last edited:

Dean

Ouch

8 pounds is good for only 200 rounds ?
That is in a .50 BMG case at 280 grains powder per cartridge ?

H50 big is very slow burning. You could completely fill the case but your velocity would be greatly reduced. Kind of like a 22-250 and using a big cartridge powder. A gunsmith told me the velocity would be way less but the accuracy would be very good. I tried it and was very accurate. Might be interesting to try the h50 in the 270, definitely will be down on velocity but could try for accuracy

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.