Gunwerks LR-1000

Hey do not forget.... You are not just getting a shooting system but you are paying for HD Cameras, cowboys to shoot the rifles, bear hunts, deer hunts, and elk hunts. None of that stuff is cheap and somebody has to pay for it.

sounds like the latest political argument:) The have's and have nots. I went to school and am finally finishing up with my PhD, Ive worked hard, make good money and spend it on custom recurves and fine rilfes. I just paid $4500 for a McWhorter rifle, still need to put another $1800 into it for a scope, but the point is, it isnt about lawyers and doctors needing a safari gun as suggested. It is what we choose to do with our time. I applaud anyone who can build a rifle, bed a rifle, ect..........for me my time went into education and now I can afford to hunt and have what I want in a rifle. This is America, if you build something then you can sell it for what you want, why we have kia and lexus, to each their own. What I see from a lot of these posts is people who cant afford a LR 1000 and bash those who do or the company for selling them. I hunted with an old savage, no blueing left on it with a cheapo tasco scope for years while going to school and it shot under 1 MOA with factory cheapo power point ammo. If that is all i had I would still hunt, that is what it is to me, about the hunting. SO if you worked hard, went to school or started a business then good for you, buy what you want, those that didnt.......quit whining. :D

Skip I stumbled across this thread looking for something else but after reading it I have to say... .

I've seen a couple of your rifles. Damned well made and damned accurate.

Would I pay $6000.00 for a rifle? No, but then I can't afford to. I sure as hell won't berate a man for producing a quality product, standing behind it, and consistently giving good service though just because it's out of my price range.

You have the patience of Job my friend for taking the unwarranted whipping by a bunch of guys with zero class, and remaining a gentleman throughout and my hat is off to you.

they said the 7mm rem mag has more energy than the 30-378

I don't remember the exact language but I know for sure that the issue was that the 7 RM with a sleek VLD bullet has more energy than normally more powerful cartridges in factory ammo with blunt, velocity losing bullets.

I quit watching BOTW When they said the 7mm rem mag has more energy than the 30-378 :rolleyes: What a ridiculous comment........ Beyond ridiculous..

If you've watched the Berger hunting bullets advertisement they show you how the 7mm has more energy than the 30-378. The graphic was better explained in one of their videos (I believe it was How to Shoot Beyond Belief 2). The Berger is a 7mm 180 VLD with a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps. They 30-378 was shooting a 165 grain Barnes (Might have been a 150) at around 3500 fps. The 30-378 has WAY more energy for the first few hundred yards, but by 600 yards their velocity is equal (so the heavier 7mm bullet has more energy) and at 1000 the 7mm is way ahead of the big Weatherby.

Now the test is quite misleading when you first watch it because they're comparing two very different bullets in very different cartridges. If you put a 210 grain VLD in a 30-378 it should outrun the 7mm all the way out there.

Their point was that you didn't need to shoot a super fast magnum (with a light bullet for more velocity) to kill things way out there. You're better off shooting a slower bullet (within reason) that has a great BC so that it better retains it's energy at longer ranges.

sounds like the latest political argument:) The have's and have nots. I went to school and am finally finishing up with my PhD, Ive worked hard, make good money and spend it on custom recurves and fine rilfes. I just paid $4500 for a McWhorter rifle, still need to put another $1800 into it for a scope, but the point is, it isnt about lawyers and doctors needing a safari gun as suggested. It is what we choose to do with our time. I applaud anyone who can build a rifle, bed a rifle, ect..........for me my time went into education and now I can afford to hunt and have what I want in a rifle. This is America, if you build something then you can sell it for what you want, why we have kia and lexus, to each their own. What I see from a lot of these posts is people who cant afford a LR 1000 and bash those who do or the company for selling them. I hunted with an old savage, no blueing left on it with a cheapo tasco scope for years while going to school and it shot under 1 MOA with factory cheapo power point ammo. If that is all i had I would still hunt, that is what it is to me, about the hunting. SO if you worked hard, went to school or started a business then good for you, buy what you want, those that didnt.......quit whining. :D

Exactly! I'm back in college doing the same thing. Buisiness not medicine, but stop bashing things (top end cars, big houses, nice guns etc.) Just cause you can't have them. When I would go to work when I was in the navy I would see at least 3 $100,000 or more expensive cars on the 4 mile drive. The number of times I stopped to get coffee or food and saw a guy get in or out of one I would comment on his car. Most were humble and excited to talk about it. I wasn't jelous, I was admiring of a nice piece of machinery. Its just like guns. A honda will get you to work just like a lamborgini but its not the same. Niether is a savage and a full up gunwerks package. Why aren't the other gunsmiths or len bashing them? Ever think of that? None of the top shooters on here are doing it either (the shawn carlocks and the like)! Sounds like the guys bashing are the same ones that didn't get picked for the football team if you know what I mean.

Looks like all of us who have never shot a Gunwerks rifle really side tracked the thread.
But it does give the OP lots to think about.
I was in the Navy as well.They didn't pay much back then
So I shot Savage.
Not nearly as nice as my customs, but shot good

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any bashing.
Just pro or con discussions(as anyone should hope for), and a bunch of whining over it...

But OP can seperate objective from personal.

I was lucky enough to shoot a LR1000 this last hunting season and that is a great gun. I've heard of several people just graving this gun turning the turrets and killing game out to 600-700 yards with out ever shooting the gun including my dad. I'm talking my dad into buying one so I can shoot it. Everything about this gun is nice and unless you Handel one or shoot one it's hard to imagine it's worth the big price tag

Glad to hear ....I just bought one today. Be done around may. Mike Davidson seemed like he knew his stuff. I ordered the 7LRM with spiral twist fluting....muzzle brake and the IRC foam case.

Can't wait

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts