Buying a Gunwerks LR-1000 a good choice?

Nope. I just like the load development and data collection. I make time for that. But I take shortcuts too. I do the BDC turret deal instead of data tables, much less ranging and doping the mils out in my head like my snipers did in the service. I just am not that good. :D

Next gun though, you may want to have built by a gunsmith piece by piece, with better components and you will see that it will probably come out a bit cheaper, and a tighter shooter. I know, that takes time, and research, but it is food for thought. Your time is probably worth more than mine. ;)

You have a helluva a rifle, have fun with it! Wish I had the shooting range out my back porch!

Ya I might. Too many hobby to little time. All my hobbies are hunting related but access is the big challenge here in Alaska. My rifle should be here tomorrow or the next day. I will spend some range time with it then head up the river in a couple weeks and try it out on a caribou or 3. I guess $4500 didn't seem that steep to me. The only gunsmith I have used is selling rem. 700s
with a new barrel and trigger for $4k without a scope. I run a business myself and need 25%+profit to make it. Mabey gunwerks is getting filthy rich off suckers like me but I don't think so.

Ya I might. Too many hobby to little time. All my hobbies are hunting related but access is the big challenge here in Alaska. My rifle should be here tomorrow or the next day. I will spend some range time with it then head up the river in a couple weeks and try it out on a caribou or 3. I guess $4500 didn't seem that steep to me. The only gunsmith I have used is selling rem. 700s
with a new barrel and trigger for $4k without a scope. I run a business myself and need 25%+profit to make it. Mabey gunwerks is getting filthy rich off suckers like me but I don't think so.

I don't fault them. I am a market based free marketer myself. Whatever the market will bear.

The other gunsmith is tearing you a new one though, but if no one steps up to challenge, that is what you get. But he is taking a 350-450 dollar action, 100-250 for the trigger and safety, spending 5 hrs truing, bedding, and threading and chambering the barrel. Depending on barrel he is using, his cost is around 250-500 bucks, then a decent stock is 300-500 bucks, premium, up to 1000. So he is costing out at 1000 low end-2200 on the higher end. His time and machinery couldn't be more than 300 bucks, probably more like 150. So his margins are pretty high.

Just FYI though on gunwerks, you should be able to build that Gunwerks gun for about a grand less, easy, with Lower 48 gunsmiths that is. But they aren't raping you or anything, but I bet they make their 25% and then some. Good for them.

I don't fault them. I am a market based free marketer myself. Whatever the market will bear.

The other gunsmith is tearing you a new one though, but if no one steps up to challenge, that is what you get. But he is taking a 350-450 dollar action, 100-250 for the trigger and safety, spending 5 hrs truing, bedding, and threading and chambering the barrel. Depending on barrel he is using, his cost is around 250-500 bucks, then a decent stock is 300-500 bucks, premium, up to 1000. So he is costing out at 1000 low end-2200 on the higher end. His time and machinery couldn't be more than 300 bucks, probably more like 150. So his margins are pretty high.

Just FYI though on gunwerks, you should be able to build that Gunwerks gun for about a grand less, easy, with Lower 48 gunsmiths that is. But they aren't raping you or anything, but I bet they make their 25% and then some. Good for them.

Ya it is a bummer what things cost here. I know a lot of people that spend over $1000 a month to heat there house. All my work is on the bases and I have to pay my carpenters $54 a hr.
Personly I burn firewood and eat game so I can afford high dollar toys for hunting. A small price to pay when I live in a state were I can harvest 5 caribou, 5 deer, 1 moose, 1dall sheep, 1goat, 1muskox, 5 black bears, 1 elk, run a trapline, and shoot unlimited predators every year with no special tags.

I hear ya. I may live in AK on of these days. It has its downside, but it has its ups too. Plus, I will already have my rifles all built by then. :D

Well I took possession of my LR 7mm a couple days ago. I can't find a flaw. It shoots great. I loaded up some 168 bergers pushed by 71 grains of h 1000. I hung my target on a tree and the first shot blew about a 1 1/2" hole in the paper so I can't tell just how tight it grouped but the following 3 shots didn't enlarge the hole. It is -57 outside right now and we only have a couple hrs of daylight so I haven't shot it any more. Dealing with Gunwerks is great. I ordered this gun right before christmas and have it already. They always answered the phone and e mails.

Well I took possession of my LR 7mm a couple days ago. I can't find a flaw. It shoots great. I loaded up some 168 bergers pushed by 71 grains of h 1000. I hung my target on a tree and the first shot blew about a 1 1/2" hole in the paper so I can't tell just how tight it grouped but the following 3 shots didn't enlarge the hole. It is -57 outside right now and we only have a couple hrs of daylight so I haven't shot it any more. Dealing with Gunwerks is great. I ordered this gun right before christmas and have it already. They always answered the phone and e mails.

-57, yikes! Is that with wind chill or straight up?........Rich

Ya it is a bummer what things cost here. I know a lot of people that spend over $1000 a month to heat there house. All my work is on the bases and I have to pay my carpenters $54 a hr.
Personly I burn firewood and eat game so I can afford high dollar toys for hunting. A small price to pay when I live in a state were I can harvest 5 caribou, 5 deer, 1 moose, 1dall sheep, 1goat, 1muskox, 5 black bears, 1 elk, run a trapline, and shoot unlimited predators every year with no special tags.

I realize this is an older post but you should try living here in Canada. A Gunwerks LR-1000 + G7 Scope cost $7800 + 15% NS sales tax = $8970 + shipping.
I also would like to say that if I could afford one I'd buy it. I don't see why everyone likes to criticize Gunwerks, BOTW etc. If you feel there products are overpriced simply don't buy them.
I simply like the looks of their rifle and I'm pretty sure it would shoot. Yes, I realize I may be able to get the same for less, maybe not. If someone feels they can then great.
I also like the BOTW rifles, Long Range Rifles LLC and Greybulls. I simply like the looks of the Gunwerks rifle best.

If you want to shoot 100 to 1000 and hit what you are aiming at all the time in different wind conditions, elivations etc.etc.. you need the right equipment. You neel the right range finder, balistics data and the ability to dial your scope to the correct settings to match your dope.

You can try to go the inexpensive rout and spend a lot of time practicing and learning how to dial into your dope. Like everything else in life things are simply easier if you have $$$$$$$. I build my own .338 win mag on a mod 700 action, shoots .5 min of angle, I went with the Nikon 5-20 with standard 1/8 MOA scope turrets. If I were to do it over again I would buy the Gunwerks shooting system and the range finder. Hell the N.F scope is 2k of that price you quoted, you should read up on those scopes.

All depends if you want to be shooting longer range effectivly in a shorter amount of time of if you would enjoy the learning experience and spend the time building your rifle, going to the range and figuring it all out.

For $3,500 you easily put together a brand new long range package with top quality components and scope. That is including things like a Krieger barrel, Mcmillan stock, jewell trigger, trued or custom action and top notch gunsmith these outfits that sell long range rifles have a HUGE mark up. Nothing wrong with them selling their product they aren't making you buy it.

hound _hunter
the long range rifles by GunWerks are very nice rigs and in my mind should last someone a life time. To get a factory rifle to do what there does it takes a lot and it probably will not still do it unless you get a custom barrel, but then the rifle is not factory anymore. like someone posted earlier you are paying for a precision instrument and then you are paying for a great bit of knowledge that is backed behind the product that is produced. It does take a lot of shooting and knowledge to just getting the basic down for LRS. The GW rifles are expensive rifles hands down but when looking at what you are getting it can be worth it. If it was me spending the money I would also have a custom load developed by the GW crew with the load data so I could reproduce the load myself so now you have a custom rifle and a load tailored exactly to your rig. That being said there are a lot of great gunsmith that can produce a quality rig on this site as well. So really you have many options. For me I have a stock savage that shoots great, and I a new sendero that is showing a lot of promise with the first 15 shots I've put down the barrel. For the sendero it will be getting a muzzle break soon and since the barrel is off I may have it blueprinted. So in reality it not a factory rifle anymore. So when the elk of a life time is standing out there at 600yrds or futher and your confident in your system is it worth 3000 or up to 6500. To me it is. But like I said there are a lot of great gunsmith or rifle builders on this site so its your choice and make the best use of you money. My next rig will semi custom 7mm mag. Looking at a blueprinted savage action, custom barrel and trigger, custom bedded stock and possible a muzzle break as well. :cool:

I know this thread is dead for the last 4 years now but I'm bored so wth. I think we need to remember why these forums were started & the importance to not only new shooters, but also experienced shooters! We all love the sport of hunting & shooting! I live to hunt, & it means the world to me! I also started to get into long range shooting 4-5 years ago & it means the world to me as well. We should remember & understand that are posts once typed out should try to help people learn the sport & get them in the right direction. It really bothers me to see people insult other peoples post's & it doesn't help anyone learn which grows the sport! Although they do make me laugh sometimes:). The reason I went on this post was to try & learn what action/stock, trigger etc that gunwerks uses. I'm in the process of buying the action, barrel, stock, trigger etc & sending to a gunsmith as I want a custom gun that I researched built. My opinion is that it will be a better gun then from what I can buy from a company. Now I will say that since I have been reloading that for what gunwerks & botw charges I completely understand as it takes a lot of time & patience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.