Buying a Gunwerks LR-1000 a good choice?

I have a Magnus chambered in 300 RUM and it's a fantastic rifle. Fit and finish is top notch and the GLR action is extremely smooth.

I've only put ~ 200 rounds or so through it, but I'm definitely impressed. Gunwerks ammo shoots great and with their help, was able to duplicate the load.

I've spent quite a bit of time behind my brother's Magnus in 6.5 PRC and it flat out shoots as well. Hornady 147 ELDM ammo prints cloverleafs. Easily a sub-MOA rifle out to 1100 yards.

I'd love to have a Clymr 7 SAUM at some point!

Personally... I think it's a Great idea.... I would love to have that whole setup myself, because long range is my passion. And the money is really not that bad because all those crying out there about the price tag, think nothing about blowing that much money on a new truck's first year of payments and insurance... which turns into money wasted without anything to show for in a recoup-able way. To me... Gunwerks is not about a rifle... not even a custom rifle... it's more... it's about a system that is ready to do something in a hunter's hands that he might have only thought was possible... but not probable.

Last edited:
Lol good lord that's a ridiculously stupid price to pay, or even ask...I've had rifles that were 1/3 of that shoot 1K just fine. You can have a solid rifle/scope combo for $2500 that will do everything that overpriced, over rated gunwerks rifle will do. A system is any good rifle/scope/ammo that's all. I feel like they market and cater to the rich... Then again, it's not my money, spend it as you wish :)

Last edited:
Lol good lord that's a ridiculously stupid price to pay, or even ask...I've had rifles that were 1/3 of that shoot 1K just fine. You can have a solid rifle/scope combo for $2500 that will do everything that overpriced, over rated gunwerks rifle will do. Then again, it's not my money, spend it as you wish :)
I've heard that before.

But apparently some people get it, there's hundreds of custom gun companies making rifles that are just as expensive. For the rest, Savage (insert any high volume production co) employees are thankful!

All I'm saying is it doesn't take a $7K "system" to shoot 1K these days...One of my most accurate rifles was a $600 factory Rem 700 custom deluxe in 7mm Rem Mag that would shoot 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards. It had a $400 leupold vx2 6-18x scope. $1000 setup did the job just fine. Still holds my longest big game kill of a spike bull at 1125 yards, and that was 12 years ago. It easily shot along side my semi customs, with custom barrels, stocks, and scopes that I had 3x or more money into.

A kia rio drives 55mph straight down the road, but no effing way I would settle for that experience.

Who cares if a $349 ruger american shoots sub 3/4 moa groups. It's an impressive manufacturing feat. Not the shooting experience I'm looking for.

I get it, a Mercedes isn't for everyone, but if all you've ever driven is a kia, how relevant is your critique that mercedes drivers are stupid because your kia has 4 tires and drives 55 mph?

Lol good lord that's a ridiculously stupid price to pay, or even ask...I've had rifles that were 1/3 of that shoot 1K just fine. You can have a solid rifle/scope combo for $2500 that will do everything that overpriced, over rated gunwerks rifle will do. A system is any good rifle/scope/ammo that's all. I feel like they market and cater to the rich... Then again, it's not my money, spend it as you wish :)
A good scope is most of that $2500. It may be technically possible to buy a cheap gun and scope and shoot good 1k groups I suppose but extremely unlikely.

I will agree a guy can shoot 1k for much less money. One thing that makes this country so great is that we have the option to buy whatever suites our needs for most any situation. If I don't like the price, I can shop somewhere else. I do believe that Gunwerks builds a quality product and definitely know what they are doing when it comes to this sport. A person doesn't need a $300 Cutco knife to cut a PB&J sandwich either but it happens everyday. Lol.

Oh it's very possible to do it for a lot less than $7K, and highly likely...These $7K systems just make it a little easier, that's it! I love it when I outshoot these guys with $7K status symbol systems with my lowly $1000-2000 systems...Puts a nice fat smile on my face everytime :) Its the idiot behind the trigger 99% of the time, who can read the conditions, not the $7K rifle. I know lot of guys who are crap shots no matter what rifle you give them...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.