Gunwerks LR-1000

Wow skip! Thats a lot more stuff into the rifle than I thought! Thank you for showing us whats so awesome about the Gunwerks LR-1000.

Keep shooting straight! :)

Man - Custom gun building is a tough business! I'm thankful that my customers
dont expect me to divulge so much information on cost / profit. Of course the value
of any product or service is related to what you are getting that you cant do / build yourself. I wonder what cost / profit percentages are for the $500.00 mass
produced guns ? Or the glass that we love put on top ? :D

For accuracy, we are really only interested in how well it shoots in our Gunwerks off the shelf ammunition (Bergers and Hodgdon Powder), and, like velocity, we are looking at extreme spread.

After break in and testing, we expect the LR-1000 to shoot less than 1/2 MOA--three shots one after another (just like hunting). Cold bore shot, fouled gun (or properly prepped bore) will be less than 1/2 MOA from group center.

We build 8-10 guns a week, and our running average is closer to 3/8 MOA.

If a guy wanted to tweak a custom load per gun, I would expect sub 3/8 MOA.

With the package (gun, ammo, etc) we also expect to see sub 1/2 MOA at 1000 (shooting in good conditions).

We work very hard to make sure every customer gets a sweet shooter, and we stand behind every gun we put out.

I had a chance to shoot side by side with a LR-1000 agaist my Edge. This is my opion and a opion only.

1- Looking and holding the gun I was not impressed with the overall craftsmanship or fit and finish.(6200 dollars)

2-6200 dollars kept going through my mind again and again!!!!

3-The proof is on the paper. 800 yards and beyond the shooter and the rifle were not worth the 6200 dollars.

4- I shot the gun at 1080 yards for 5 shots. Not the fit I am use to. Grouped 10 inches. Might have got better with more practice. 6200 dollars!!!

5-paid 4000 for my Edge with Nightforce NSX. Will shoot 10 inch groups out to 1600 yards(the gun is capable of much better)

6-My opion not worth6200 dollars!!!!

Some might say this is comparing apples to oranges but this is all I have to compare it to untill my 284 THOR (300 norma mag necked down and improved) shows up.

Probably not worth the price for most serious LR hunters. But then again, load development is worth something. He who has the time to hit the range won't buy one anyway. For those who have the money but not the time I feel they provide a valuable service. Get me on the paper anyway....

Any competant smith can take a trued 700, Stiller, Borden or BAT action with a quality barrel and good bedding job and make it shoot.

I don't own a rifle of theirs or plan to buy one. But so what if someone else does.

I had kirby build me a wildcat and am in to the gun about $2500.00 did my own load and it shoots a 4 inch group at 1000 yards and a 6 inch at 1500 yards. I have a semi custom on a howa action and had a local gun smith put it together and it cost $1500.00 it shoots 5 inches at 1000 yards and 10inches at 1500 yards. Both are piller bedded, the full custom has a manners crbon fiber SL stock the semi has a bell and carlson stock both with custom barrels. If a guy wants a turn key system there are plenty of guys out there that can do that for them and get the same results and save $1000.00 to $1500.00 in the process.
But I can't fault a guy for making a living doing what he loves, more power to him if he can.

opinion are like butts, everybody has one

Aaron I applaud you in your efforts in long range hunting. $6000+ in a turnkey setup isn't out of the ordinary. I know my full customs I have more than that invested after I have the work invested in making them shoot. Especially when you consider your time and equipment.

Can a savage with a little work shoot as good as my customs at $5000+. Yes why do I have customs. Because I want them.

As far as cost goes, well supply and demand will take care of that for you.

Brent

Last edited:
I feel like if a guy wants to buy a turn key system because he doesn't have time to reload or put one together and just wants to get out and do some long range huntin, then he probably doesn't have time to practice either. Without taking the time to learn about exterior ballistics and alot of practice, I think it is a disaster waiting to happen.

ahhh the human factor as I call it. I mentioned this on an earlier thread.

The rifle is a tool, much like a vehicle. You can't stop all the people from driving much like you won't be able to stop people from shooting. What about the automatic transmission, how many still have a manual in their daily drivers? I am neither for it or against it. I just want people to see a different perspective on it. Aaron is making things easier. Much like many things that have come about.

Brent

ahhh the human factor as I call it. I mentioned this on an earlier thread.

The rifle is a tool, much like a vehicle. You can't stop all the people from driving much like you won't be able to stop people from shooting. What about the automatic transmission, how many still have a manual in their daily drivers? I am neither for it or against it. I just want people to see a different perspective on it. Aaron is making things easier. Much like many things that have come about.

Brent

To each his own. Only in this country(for now) can discussions like this take place.

I think that it just rubs many in this community the wrong way when a company
like gunwerks takes something special like building a precision long range rifle
and makes it more readily available to a greater number of people. What had been
very special - requiring knowledge, skill and a lot of time to develope is now readily available to any guy with a wad of cash and a reasonable degree of shooting ability. We feel like somebody has started selling maps to our favorite honey holes. And like it or not - their marketing works. More and more people are getting on board with long range huntin.
From a business perspective their doing things right. If they dont have a good profit margin, they dont stay in business. They dont do it for personal satisfaction or as a hobby for enjoyment like some of our small local smiths do.

My rub with BOTW / Gunwerks is that they are putting too many guys out there
who can shoot , or at least will be trying to shoot a mile. I want to be the only guy on the mountain that can cover so much country. When too many LRH are in the same area it really shrinks our space. Anyway thats me being selfish.

DanMan, you are correct that it is bringing more to this shooting discipline. I guess as far as the ones who don't practice and truely love it. They won't be doing it for long. There is a sense of pride when you can do something very few are able.

I figure it will cycle, the ones who truely love the sport and want to learn will. The ones who won't will soon give up and have a 100-300yd rifle they can take to their buddies and tell them how much the spent on it.

On a side note, we have people on this forum from all walks of life. Managers, workforce etc. You can learn from the discussions more than just shooting. Learn how to handle people, an intelligent debate is a wonderful thing. You might find yourself at work/home in a debate with your supervisor/spouse and think back to some of your discussions here and use the tools you practiced here to maybe get the raise/promotion/your way you wanted. I know it sure helped me out.
Like we always say practice, practice, practice:rolleyes:.

Brent

Last edited:
Amen,
Actually I did not intend to bash Gunwerks or BOTW, really. I enjoy their tv show and have picked up pointers from them to use myself. I purchased a Huskemaw
to put on a rifle that I already had. That shows my confidence in their company,
I think that they are here to stay.

And on a lighter note I've thought of something good that can come from more
LRH being in the woods. That is more guys /gals who will be able to reach out there and knock down wolves! In that case the more the merrier. :D

Wow!! I was afraid that this post might go in the wrong direction and it did. I never had any intention to bash Gunwerks and their rifles. I was just curious to how they shoot. The Greybull rifles that I have seen shoot I never asked the price of them as it did not matter to me. Now let me explain myself as far as costs. I have been building my own rifles for seven years now and have not built one that would not shoot 1/2 moa fairly easily. I am not wealthy and could never afford a LR-1000. I have a sheep hunting rifle that I had built on a Remington Titanium, replacing the barrel and trigger and I did the bedding. This is the only rifle that I have had a gunsmith build. I saved for 2 years to have this rifle built. It was after having this rifle built that I decided to learn to use a lathe so I took a machining class first then a gunsmithing class at the local college. This has given me the ability to build my own rifles. Most of my rifles start out as factory rifles and I modify them as needed. Some need very little and some have needed total blue printing and re-barreling. I am fortunate to have access to a lathe and mill, my 86 year old father is a machinist. ( no he did not teach me to use the equipment, he recommended I take the classes so he would not have to yell at me!!) My point is I cannot afford a Ferrari but I am perfectly happy with my Ford. I watch the BOTW twice a week and enjoy the show but as with anything I am concerned with the guy who thinks he can buy a shooting system and go out and shoot game at a 1000 yards without practicing. I know, this is the same guy who buys a Ferrari and thinks he is Michael Schumacher. The only difference is we as hunters have the constant scrutiny of the press and legislators who think we are neanderthals and are looking for any reason to take away our rights. And a hunter shooting a 1000 yards that is not properly trained/practiced is a possible tragedy waiting to happen. For this reason I also cringe when I hear of target bullets being used for hunting. There is a reason why the manufacturer marks them for target shooting only. This is why applaud Berger Bullets for developing their VLD's for hunting. Every bullet maker should follow suit. Enough of my rants, shoot straight all!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts