gunsmith pricing

What I've learned is pay what a good gunsmith is asking. I have a gunsmith that his prices have steadily gone up over the years. Part of it is to keep up with rising costs, mostly it is to keep his workload manageable. Once a GS earns a reputation of providing a quality product they usually have more work than they want.

A lot of good GS have had issues when they can't handle the workload their skills bring them. More than one has ruined their reputation and livelihood. The really good ones find ways to manage demand for their services, from hiring skilled employees, price increases, and not taking on new customers.

Three smith I wanted to try that aren't taking new customers.

Gre-Tan Rifle
Karl Kampfield
Shaen Rifles

Why not get a CarbonSix pre-fit for $850. TS Customs, Travis Stevens, also has or had a pre-fit barrel sale going on over Labor Day you may still be able to get the sale price, Travis uses Benchmark blanks.

I guess I'm fortunate that my friend does all my gunsmithing for me. We just chambered my 338 RUM on Saturday. IBI CF barrel came threaded for a break and I'm using the SRS self timer. So chamber and put the whole gun together and ingrave it cost me $280 Canadian with reamer rental.

Cheap gunsmiths are not usually good and good gunsmiths aren't going to be cheap. Most of the good ones keep their prices at a certain rate until they start getting more work than they can do in a reasonable time then they start raising their prices.

I just need to find a GS here in SD.
if you live East River I would go and talk to Randy at Sioux Falls Scheels I have had him do work for me and it was priced fairly and do quickly, they also do rifle builds also. you could also call Travis at TS Customs in Miller,SD he builds customs and is great (I have 2 of his) not cheap and is backed up, I do not know if he would do what you want done but give him a call or Randy

So, I am in the process of putting together my first truly custom rifle. I have a Gunwerks GRB SA, Hawkins DBM M5 bottom metal, Trigger tech trigger, and still thinking about the stock. I will likely go with a 22" (proof) carbon barrel and plan to chamber it in 6.5 PRC.
Now, the question: how much should I expect a gunsmith to charge for chambering, and fitting the barrel to the action as well as threading the end and having a blended thread cap constructed?
Anyone knows a gunsmith around the twin cities in MN who can competently accomplish it? (I have mixed experience with previous smiths...)
Thank you for your help, Ferenc

Ps.: If you have an unchambered 22" (proof) 6.5 mm carbon barrel lying around please let me know, I might just buy it ;-)
Greg Wahlstrom at Straightline in Ogilvie MN. An hr and 15 min north of down town Minneapolis

I just had Long Rifles Inc. spin up a bbl for me. Pre-fits are definitely cheaper but you can't beat their customer service. if pre-fits can be made for your action you can send them tenon prints and you can have it assembled locally. Mine is for a Terminus Zeus QC.
375 - Action fit & Chamber
125 - Muzzle thread - no protector
154 - shipping

Emailed updates for process steps and actual pictures of you product along the way.

Attachments

• LRI BBL.png
    LRI BBL.png
    270.6 KB · Views: 46
  • LRI Order.png
    LRI Order.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 50
Why buy it all and then send it ti a smith to put together? Total cost is probably less if you gave the smith your specs and he purchased and put it all together for you. Would probably cost you less and make him a little more.
I put together 2 rifles last year purchasing components. For an extra $200 i could have ordered them from a smith done right.
SnT

Why buy it all and then send it ti a smith to put together? Total cost is probably less if you gave the smith your specs and he purchased and put it all together for you. Would probably cost you less and make him a little more.
I put together 2 rifles last year purchasing components. For an extra $200 i could have ordered them from a smith done right.
SnT
I agree with allowing the GS to order the parts for you. However, not too long ago sourcing parts was difficult due to supply chain issues. It would have been an additional several months, if I did not find the barrel and stock elsewhere. Some GS's have preferential standing with manufacturers depending on volume. I do believe you need to consult with your GS before acquiring components when possible. They can help you in avoiding problems and also help you consider options you may not have thought about.

I just paid $350 for cut, chamber, crown, thread muzzle, and he screwed it on my action too. I told him the only thing I cared about was a concentric chamber. Got it home, scoped it, went back, gave him another $100 and told him he was way to cheap.