gunsmith pricing

You are probably looking at around $900 to do what you are looking to have done.

As far as gunsmiths in the Twin Cities area, the only one I have experience with is Ahlman's in Morristown, MN. (https://www.ahlmans.com/gunsmithing.html). That being said, it was over 15 years ago that I used them, so take the recommendation with a grain of salt and if you do decide to check them out, I would call them and discuss your needs in detail before making the trip down to them.

If you don't mind shipping, then LRI in Sturgis, SD is a very good option for you. Chad and his crew do great work.

$500.00 on up, depending on action work. Just chambering and install on the low end. Single pointing threads, recutting lugs ,recesses,bolt face, all adds up.

I'd expect to be 1k or so . I'm in the build process myself and expect to be 1200 to 1500 . Action is a kelbys nanook ,proof 26 inch sendero lite, trigger tech Dimond, greyboe bdl bottom metal ,silencerco asr break, and manners lrh stock. Going to build a 280ai. Find a great gunsmith don't worry about cost as it's cheap compared to the sum of all the components you've already spent on .

KD Gunsmithing did a few for me when I was in Oceanside.
Karie D Dunks, (760) 533-2330, Fallbrook

I don't have Facebook, but google it and it says he is on there. Comes up, I jsut can't see anything. He used to have a regular website, but can't seem to find it anymore. Has a shop on his property in Fallbrook.
I cannot find it on FB. There seems to be a scarcity of gunsmiths in San Diego. I guess it is no surprise to me. I am fortunate to have access to 10 reputable gunsmiths less than an hour's drive away, one of which is 2 miles from my house. My go-to gunsmith is 20 minutes away. Kirby Allen is about half an hour away. There are no shortages here in MT. 😇

So, I am in the process of putting together my first truly custom rifle. I have a Gunwerks GRB SA, Hawkins DBM M5 bottom metal, Trigger tech trigger, and still thinking about the stock. I will likely go with a 22" (proof) carbon barrel and plan to chamber it in 6.5 PRC.
Now, the question: how much should I expect a gunsmith to charge for chambering, and fitting the barrel to the action as well as threading the end and having a blended thread cap constructed?
Anyone knows a gunsmith around the twin cities in MN who can competently accomplish it? (I have mixed experience with previous smiths...)
Thank you for your help, Ferenc

Ps.: If you have an unchambered 22" (proof) 6.5 mm carbon barrel lying around please let me know, I might just buy it ;-)
TS customs, SAC, SCR , APR or LRI all do great work. Over the last year I-have had 12 barrels chambered on custom actions.
Have the smith check the action and timing out. (None better than SCR) But I doubt you will need any "blueprinting" done on the custom action.
TS customs just did my 7wsm for $500 (chamber, muzzle thread, protector) 50$ total shipping.
Use a service called SHIPPO saves lots of money

Last edited:
Well, my pricing in Down Under runs a bit different.
For action blueprinting, either REM 700 or Model 70 $250AU.
Chambering only $250AU.
Barrel fitting (chambering, threading & fitting) $500AU.
Muzzle threading/cap turning $150AU. (Not including brake)
Fitting triggers, recoil lugs and extending mag wells varies with time.
I know a couple guys here that charge for barrel engraving separately…I always looked at such things as part of barrel fitting pricing, anyway?!

Cheers.

Thank you! Honestly, I am a bit surprised about the prices, but I guess inflation affects all aspects of life... If this is the going rate, I will just have to pay it ;-)
Getting the actual quote directly from the GS that will work (the exact work required) on your rifle is best. I was looking at my receipt on my last build (March 2023), and my GS charged me $940 to chamber the barrel ($350), thread the muzzle ($125), inlet/carbon paint/bed the stock/action ($250), and custom-built a hydraulic forming/sizing/seating dies ($215 - he provided one blank die).

Last edited:
Getting the actual quote directly from the GS that will work (the exact work required) on your rifle is best. I was looking at my receipt on my last build (March 2023), and my GS charged me $940 to chamber the barrel ($350), thread the muzzle ($125), inlet/carbon paint/bed the stock/action ($250), and custom-built a hydraulic forming/sizing/seating dies ($215 - he provided one blank die).
Thank you Sir,

Following some advice from here, I did some google-ing, and it appears that the going rate for cut, chamber and crown the barrel is usually ~350 and another 100-150 for the muzzle threading.
This gives mea good starting point. Now I just have to find somewhere a 6.5 proof 22" barrel on sale ;-)