Gun build time frame

Well if one place makes them another can! If there was enough in it, tooling yourself is an option! My "stance" has served me well for 66 years and I'll never change or regret it! Say what you think..Tell the Truth..Don't Take Crap..and There is always another option...

For the uninitiated...

The way this works is we order the action which comes WITH the bolt. Unfortunately for the OP, Stiller has PT&G make their bolts so any hiccup from PT&G shows up with the Stiller action orders. This is yielding an 8 month deficit for the bolts while the action body is finished and deliverable.

8 months though,
the demand is high for their products , PT&g makes good parts,

raise price, add staff, inventory/stock all ... they'd be unstoppable ...

Well if one place makes them another can! If there was enough in it, tooling yourself is an option! My "stance" has served me well for 66 years and I'll never change or regret it! Say what you think..Tell the Truth..Don't Take Crap..and There is always another option...

AMEN Brother!:D Charge the line, don't hold anything back, believe in the righteousness and show every ounce of indignation for the world to behold!;)

I suggest that you start this business of making bolts for custom action manufacturers and show the rest of us how it's done. Your experience and expertise is made for this endeavor!:)

if you were an action manufacturer that relied on consumables and knew your suppliers lead times, wouldn't you inventory the consumable parts you needed ??

i just cant understand how this industry, is forced to except .. long lead time for parts , common parts .. the bolt were talking about is the same as the 100 before it

nothing will ever change until they feel the loss themselves,

Last edited:
Being in the home remodeling business. I fully understand the GS situation. I have customers ask how long a project will take. I always explain that depends on what they choose for materials. I can rear out a kitchen and have it back up running in 2 weeks.....but the2 month wait for cabinets...6 weeks for countertops... waiting for appliances to show up and battling subs schedules all factor in. Then they pick some back ordered items and it all goes out the window.
Asking for custom one off style components is always a wait and see. Without him whittling a bolt or finding one from God know where, what is supposed to do? I bet he wished all the parts would show up just as bad as you do. Nothing is worse than a job that drags on and on while you have no control over that. I also lilet the customer know that once I place the order....its their whether they like it or not and we are at the mercy of the supplier.
But I fully understand the anguish.

If I read this right you want the gunsmith to buy you out of your parts, at full retail, because the manufacture did not make a delivery date on a key part of the build and because YOU think he has use for the parts.

This is why most smiths have daily thoughts of suck starting a shot gun!

If the manufacturer can't make the delivery date they should offer full refund. Not the customers fault they can't produce. I would think the gunsmith would have made some phone calls and could have come up with different action choices. I had similar experience that could have been solved with a little bit of thinking vs excuses.

If the manufacturer can't make the delivery date they should offer full refund. Not the customers fault they can't produce. I would think the gunsmith would have made some phone calls and could have come up with different action choices. I had similar experience that could have been solved with a little bit of thinking vs excuses.
So what's the options for an action available immediately that will drop into a Stiller 408 inlet?

bigngreen,

Good point.

I think this is the drawback to so much of the discussion and suggestions. The members really don't understand the full range of the ramifications of this project. They are not connected to the actual size of the action, the bolt or the barrel. Their frame of reference is the Remington 700 and the clones.

These components are not only big but they are expensive. Finding an additional buyer or someone who needs something this big is much more rare than something for the Remington/Savage crowd.

I don't know of anywhere that will refund you fully for custom, one off anything. I would bet the GS isn't to happy about all this either. He has parts taking up space and that's a valuable commodity for most. If he is telling you the truth about what is going on, how is it his fault the part you want doesn't exist and is backordered? I go through this on a regular basis. People watch home improvement show that do a 6 week job in 30 minutes. They always fail to see that not everyone is at your beck and call and have their own scheduling problems. One part not showing up on time can stop the whole show for weeks. The guy being held up has his schedule messed up and so does the next guy. It's not easy to make firm schedules when you have no control of what or when things show up. Try ordering a door from Home Depot and see how that goes...I will put my soap box back in the closet now :)

I apologize i missed that part of original post. I fully understand what the gunsmith is dealing with. I deal with same problems just different trade. Some manufacturers can be very frustrating to deal with and a few seem to Not care because they know they have you over a barrel.

If I read this right you want the gunsmith to buy you out of your parts, at full retail, because the manufacture did not make a delivery date on a key part of the build and because YOU think he has use for the parts.

im not against the gunsmith either , im against this industries idea that they can take your money and take as long as they want and give excuses , and you just gotta accept it

was the gunsmith aware of these key parts before the promise was made? and did he know ahead of time that if he makes promises he cant keep, that he may end up with parts he cant use

no, gunsmith should call the manufacturer of the parts and the cancel order and they should sit on those parts that they took 8 months to still not build ( maybe theyd be ahead of schedule for the next guy )

i doubt this post woulda came up if the gunsmith said in writing "i can not give you a promise date" because of action manufacturers terms and conditions

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts