New build?

Ackool

The wife's 6.5 saum from gap will be done in a week or two so now it's time to start on the next one. Looking to build a rifle for out west big/dangerous game. Looked at the 338 lapua or the 300 Norma. Thinking weight anywhere under 20lbs. Open to other calibers just thought these two may fit the bill. Rifle will see 1000+ Yard shots and not to worried about barrel life as its a strictly hunting platform. What do you guys think will fit this build? Not looking for super exotic due to finding brass and bullets.

My 338 Lapua finish 3 weeks ago, and turned out amazing. I did end up buying a custom reamer to get the correct chamber to load Berger 300gr OTM, and be able to magazine feed. Many guys end up loading the OTM well past mag length, or end up with a big jump from reaching the rifling.

There are a lot of 338 Lapua variants I went with the CIP since it is the longest mag length at 3.850. Now I can load and have the Bergers touch the rifling and still have .040 gap in my magazine. If you would like PM me your email and I can send you target pictures.

You may keep in mind some states like idaho have a hunting rifle weight limit (idaho) 16 lbs.

You could easily have a 300 norma or lapua done to fit that and be pretty comfortable to shoot. I am running a 338 norma topped with a nf nxs and i am rite at 15lbs with a 29" sendero barrel with brake, tac 338 action.

Good luck with your build

I sent my TRG-42 to GAP and converted it to a 300 Norma Mag. and couldn't be happier! Not only is it more accurate, and the percentage of hits higher, my neck is thanking me too!

Less recoil + less pain = Better hits! Just as effective Ft. Lbs. + just as efficient BC wise = big dividends! Need I say more!

Maybe im old school but honestly the 30-06 with 180 grain vullets will down any thing you want out here in the west. A 300 norma sounds great.

What ever you choose make it awsome.

I love my 7 saum and would use it on dangerous game if need be, but if building a gun with dangerous game as an intention I'd probably go 300 RUM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.