ELR build advice

So I have been shooting 1000-2000 yards with a 300 win and 225 eldm for awhile and am looking to upgrade to a new ELR rig. These are my thoughts for the build:

Stiller tac 300 single shot receiver

30" 338 cal bartlein or benchmark " thinking sendero contour but could go heavier

Mcmillan A5 fully adjustable "I shoot a lot of McMillan a series and like the"

pretty set on going 338 edge and running 300 grain sierras or Berger's

Tell me what I should do differently or could improve on hanks for the input!

I'd start by saying that a 30" or around barrel will be fine given it's not used in a field type ELR. Inches matter in mobility. If it's used more as bench/range/Palma then sure makes sense.
I'd go with a straight taper. Doesn't have to be exactly but around .96 at the muzzle. M24/m40 contours have never let me down.
You'll have to do research, because I can call out cartridges to you but you'll want to get a cartridge that has the right dynamics and availability for components or if you using factory ammo, availability.
.300 Weatherby would be a good starting choice. It has good cartridge dimensions that are more tolerant in chambers, while still giving enough external performance that it replaced the .338 lm for some in the military. .338 edge is cool too, it obviously won some ko2m comps.

So this was going to be my straight long range steel gun no hunting with this big boy. So From the advice give I am gonna look into heavier coutours like maybe heavy Palma and MTU possibly? Also what brakes are you all running on your larger calibers I heard terminators mention I have never owned one but have heard good things. I have used MBM brakes and like them a lot.

I have one to try !

Rum Man
20191124_184156.jpg

It's been Amazing to shoot !
My third 338 edge is 14.5 pounds I packed that around after my Heart Surgery and Wow it was to much . I started looking for a Proof ! I found two Crabon barrels from a Member here !
One in a 30 " Benchmark carbon in 338 Rum and the Edge Proof ..they both shoot lights out . It took some work to get the loads but that's the fun part ! The two on the right .
Rum Man View attachment 160351

I would be hard pressed to look at the .338 Lapua Improved, .338 Norma Improved (which I have), or a 300 NM. Those three will fit your bill easily. Add in a 28-32" barrel to squeeze an extra 50-200 fps. I am running with the 300 SMK's and Berger. I will be trying the gAy Tips once they release their 338 bullets.

If you are going Edge, good choice, I would try a longer barrel to get that extra velocity for ELR. I personally like the big 338's because of brass availability...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.