ELR build advice

Coloradomuley

So I have been shooting 1000-2000 yards with a 300 win and 225 eldm for awhile and am looking to upgrade to a new ELR rig. These are my thoughts for the build:

Stiller tac 300 single shot receiver

30" 338 cal bartlein or benchmark " thinking sendero contour but could go heavier

Mcmillan A5 fully adjustable "I shoot a lot of McMillan a series and like the"

pretty set on going 338 edge and running 300 grain sierras or Berger's

Tell me what I should do differently or could improve on hanks for the input!

How far do you want to shoot?
338 edge is a great cartridge, but I personally would lean towards one of the 338 lapua improved cartridges for brass reasons. Sort of splitting hairs.
338 norma or one of its variances would also work well with good brass options.
Other than that, sounds like a nice rig.

For regular shooting past 2000, I'd lean toward a cheytac based round. My 375 cheytac makes hits at 1 mile+ quite a bit easier than my 338 lapua, but is heavy and hungry. Cost between the two is closer than you might think though.

Good luck with it, sounds like a fun project.

if its a true ELR rig I would move up to a standard varmint contour a lot stiffer and weight is your friend ..

also another thing to consider …. while the A5 is a great stock the butt hook doesn't lend itself to tracking under heavy recoil from what ive found and is also limited too for and aft adjustment for vertical. look at a stock with low taper from grip to butt like the A3 or manner t2A PRS2 EH1A etc. these key features help the rifle track straight like a ruder

Those .375 rounds are tough to beat. You can push those 379 grain projectiles up around 2990fps and at 200 yards they're still humming along at over 1300fps and still carry over 1500 pounds of energy. If I was wanting to shoot 2000 yards I think that is where I would look. Of course you have over 100 feet of elevation to deal with and God knows how much wind drift, but I think that a 375 something or other would be a better option than the 338 who see whats it.

Give some serious thought to what kind of optics you want to use at 2000 yards. A lot of guys have these dreams of shooting 2000 yards and have never looked at something 2000 yards away through a scope. LOL. I know that the first time I took a gander at something a mile away I started laughing thinking that I couldn't even see it with the 14 power scope I had on my ol' trusty hunting '06 LOL.

I would expect a .300WM to sling 225's close to the same speed as a .338 Edge will a 300 grain Berger. If you just look at the numbers as far as external ballistics at those ranges the numbers do not seem exactly lopsided. They are almost compatible except for energy. Don't let the numbers fool you, spotting a .338 at longer ranges is lopsided and definitely a step up. If you are already shooting a .300 at that range you know what it takes to do so and the .338 should make things "easier". Good luck with your quest. I will admit that stepping up another notch in caliber/cartridge will make an even more enjoyable experience.:D

I'm no pro so do what you like but I'm working on my goal of 2000 yrds. Also
My set up ..
Trued Remington action
30 " heavy Palma Kreiger plus brake
55 moa nightforce base
Vortex Razor 5 x 20 x 50
B&C a 5 adj.stock
It comes in at 18.7 pounds
300 gr.bergers OTM @ 2889 fps.
1500 yds.so far then hunting Season opened .. adj. base is next .
Just took my Bull this year at 1244 with my light weight 338 Edge .
Best of luck in your Choice !
20190808_175615.jpg

It's easy to Shoot .

Its 10.6 on a certified scale ..
Remington action
30 " proof plus T-3 Termanator
Mcmillian Hunter Edge
Burris XTR ii 5 x 25 x 50
Leupold mk 4 rings ( I'm changing this )
After my Mountain hunt this fall I'm looking at the weight very seriously.
Rum Man
20190928_203216.jpg

It's been Amazing to shoot !
My third 338 edge is 14.5 pounds I packed that around after my Heart Surgery and Wow it was to much . I started looking for a Proof ! I found two Crabon barrels from a Member here !
One in a 30 " Benchmark carbon in 338 Rum and the Edge Proof ..they both shoot lights out . It took some work to get the loads but that's the fun part ! The two on the right .
Rum Man
20190203_134234.jpg

One thing to consider with the Sendero contour and 300 grain bullets is barrel whip. If your going to push them hard, the Sendero is too light of taper. I have a 338 Texan (375 rum Improved necked down to 338) and I can push the 300's 3150 but my barrel whips around like a leaf in a gale. I would consider doing a straight taper or at least a heavier contour. If your heart is set on a 30" Sendero. I would sell you my Brux interrupted fluted barrel with an Assassin brake attached.

Attachments

• A0FAA45A-BFFC-4D32-A880-5813FF6634F3.jpeg
    A0FAA45A-BFFC-4D32-A880-5813FF6634F3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.