Good starter scope

Well, you're not gonna get a great scope for $200, but I would say the best you could get would be the Bushnell elite 3200 10x40mm... 10x40mm I had one on my old .30-06, and it tracked accurately, thought the glass wasn't the best...

If you can save up another $100 I would look at the Super Snipers from www.swfa.com

For a quality long range scope, very hard to beat. Will take the 308 Win out a LONG way with the vertical adjustment the Super Sniper offers. The 10x model has over 100 moa of vertical adjustment.

For the money very hard to beat for a long range scope. This all depends on what you want to do with the rifle though. For low light shooting they are not the best but the 10x is not bad at all.

Kirby Allen(50)

mueller are super sniper. i have both and they are great scopes for the money. the mueller has great glass for the money and tracks real good to. the mueller 8.5x25x50 is like 220.00 to your door on ebay. i have three of them and a friend has one on his 30-06 all work great

Emphatically dissagree on the rifleman. They will not track accurately. At least mine didn't. I think a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 will run about 200. The 4.5-14 about 289. They track well.

Ditto what Kirby said.

I have SSs in 10 and 16X. I find the quick focus diopter thinger very helpful also. It's pretty much a must have for these ol' eyes. Not all scopes have it.

They track very very well. But the turrets need to be cleaned and re siliconed when you first get it otherwise the clicks are stiff. I recleaned and siliconed mine again @ 4 below zero.

Nikon Buckmaster line. I have yet to see anything track as well as these scopes that costs less then $700 dollars. You could probably find one on ebay or some other websites close to what you can spend. If you can I would get the 4.5-14x40mm. Do not even bother with the bushnell elite. I have had a few they do not seem to track well at all.

Can you absolutly say the Muller will track? I would love to try one in the 25 power version but I don't want to throw 220 of a good scope down the drain. I have read all about them and they say they are Guaranteed for about everything for life.

well i can say that all of them i have and my friends have track great that's a total of six 8.5x25x50. i have my 223 zero at 200 and shoot out to 600 all the time the only time my scope has been off was after i turned it the wrong way. after i found out what i did i turn it back down to my 200 zero and it was still on that was a total of three up and three down the mueller has a lot moa in it as well. go over to savage shooters.com and look up the reviews on it there great. i think you will be real happy with one of them i know i have been /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you are not against a used scope. Keep an eye on Ebay. I just bought a Weaver Tactical 4.5-14x44 for $225. They are very highly regarded and have a FFP reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.