Good scope for a good price

AH3682

Hey fellas,

I'm new to LRH and I've got 2 questions for you guys.

#1 What would be the best scope for under $450?

#2 What would be the best scope for $450-750?

*looking for something with a power of arround 4-20(or somewhere in that range)

Thanks for your time and your imput is appreciated!

Hey "none of your business",
Under 450? only thing I can think of, new, is the Nikon Buckmaster. I have the 6-18x with target dot and routinely shoot it to 700-800yds with no problem. I have taken it to 1000yds shooting clay mounds, (no real precision there) but it dialed out/back with no problems.

I zero this .300WinMag @ 300yds, have Burris Dual Dovetail rings/mounts (without inserts) and it still has enough MOA to reach 1K.

Not a good scope for early morning/later evening hunting. With the target dot comes fine crosshairs. For the love of me I can't find them at first/last shooting light.

For the $450-750 range, I would look at the "Glassifieds" here. Usually you can find a used Leupold or Nikon Monarch in this range.

I have no experience with the Vortex scopes but others on here vouch for them. Good luck in your ever important search. JohnnyK.

My votes if your dialing in. Under $450 in order of price Bushnell 3200 tac 10x40, swfa ss fixed power x42, bushy 3200 5-15x40, vortex viper (pick your poison) mag and objective.......For $450-750= Bushnell 4200 tac 6-24x50, vortex viper pst 6-24x50, sightron siii 6-24x50.................The bushnell tacticals have served me well at all levels, The swfa ss are typically very reliable as are the vortex and you may just barely get into a Sightron siii lr if you shop around. The more you spend the more likely you are to really appreciate the scope every time you use it. My list here includes essentially tactical scopes because they are already configured in what my experience suggests is ideal for lr-hunting, it covers a vast range of glass and size while retaining what I believe to be adequate reliability and a useful reticle. Your personal preferences may be very different but if I where you, these are the ones I would be looking at in those price ranges.

Get the biggest Bushnell Elite you can find. I've got 5 of 'em and haven't paid over $450 for any of them. Two are the 10x(3200), two are elite6x24x40(4000 series b&L-bushnell), and the last is an 8x32x40 bushnell elite(4200). I've got Nikon too, but they put a bad taste in my mouth when they refused to warranty a binoc. set I sent back because the seals failed and stuff got behind the lenses. A leopold may be a good choice too. I'd say Redfield, but they simply don't have much. I've got a 3x9 of theirs, and it's fine, but they top at 12x for their biggest.

For the up to $750, I would give a good look at Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X50 AO MO with target turrets. You have a choice of several reticles. It is a 1" tube that doesn't have quite as much adjustment as the 30mm scopes but the scope tracks precisely and IMO the Zeiss has the best glass on the planet in that price range. Camera Land has the best prices I have found.

I would also look at the Vortex models that fit in that range. I just ordered a Vortex Viper 4-16X50 first focal plane but that scope is a little above $750. Not much, though.

I'm not even going to recommend anything in the $450 and under. The advise I was given was to save some more money until I could spend up to $1000. That was as good advise as I have ever received. Don't skimp on your scope, base or rings.

Once again, thanks for your opinions. I will take them into consideration. Your time is appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.