Starter rifle

ebagwell

Looking for a good starter rifle for predator hunting. Looking at the savage predator model but not sure I want to go with the 243 or 223. Any thought?

More info would help. If you are talking coyotes and smaller the 223 is good out to 3-400 yards roughly. Can be shot further, but doesn't have much poop left in it. If you are talking longer shots being the norm a 22-250 or the 243 are a better bet. If you're talking wolf...I'd say the 243 is good...but I'd even go bigger than that for them.

Also another variable is if you're planning on minimizing pelt damage.

More info would help. If you are talking coyotes and smaller the 223 is good out to 3-400 yards roughly. Can be shot further, but doesn't have much poop left in it. If you are talking longer shots being the norm a 22-250 or the 243 are a better bet. If you're talking wolf...I'd say the 243 is good...but I'd even go bigger than that for them.

Also another variable is if you're planning on minimizing pelt damage.

+1! Reloading also is a big plus.

rem 700 varmint from dicks. or rem 700 from SW. not sure where you are. more fox (.223 ) or more coyote (.243).

I have a savage predator max 1 in 260 rem. I love it. Reloading really helped me fall in love with this rifle. A 243 is (IMO) is more versatile than a 223. It's strong enough for deer, and flat enough for varmints. Just about every ammo company makes loads for a 243.

Coyotes and fun des mostly. No wolves around here. It would be n further than 400 yards. Reload will be next after I get started.

Have a Savage Axis in 22-250. Only thing I altered was the trigger....easy to do. Other than that it is "standard issue" and shoots 55gr Sierra Blitz over CFE-223 extremely well. This is the third Axis I have bought. The other two were "tricked out" with Boyd's Thumbhole stocks and target trigger springs and also shoot well.

Coyotes and fun des mostly. No wolves around here. It would be n further than 400 yards. Reload will be next after I get started.

With that in mind I'd seriously look at the Ruger American with the newer stiffer stock and get it in 22-250. It has a 1-10 twist and would be great with most any bullet you'd ever want to reload in it. The only down fall (albeit a small one) of most 22-250 is that they've been 1-14 twist for ever.

There's also nothing wrong with the 223, but the 22-250 will be flatter out at 400yards edge...it'll be a bit easier dealing with the drop out at that range.

With that in mind I'd seriously look at the Ruger American with the newer stiffer stock and get it in 22-250. It has a 1-10 twist and would be great with most any bullet you'd ever want to reload in it. The only down fall (albeit a small one) of most 22-250 is that they've been 1-14 twist for ever.

There's also nothing wrong with the 223, but the 22-250 will be flatter out at 400yards edge...it'll be a bit easier dealing with the drop out at that range.

I too am interested and have been hearing lots of good reports on them. The one I was looking at comes threaded for MB/suppressor for $419 at my LGS.

I shoot alot of 22-250 and 243, both are very flexible calibers. Nosler has there e-tip in 55 gr that works well on deer in my 22-250. Another rifle you may consider in your list is a howa 1500. The new ones have ajustable triggers great shooters to boot. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.