Savage 110FP 300 WIN Mag "Starter?"

rdc

I've been playing with different ideas on a Savage starter rifle. One is to just buy the 110FP 300 WM, put a brake on it and shoot.

If the 110FP doesn't come with a light trigger or a good barrel, then I'm just wasting money and should go with a parts gun ie Savage PTA or Stevens built with after market parts.

Will the Savage barrel give me 1/2 MOA?

================

Called Savage, the 110FP has a 1.5-6# trigger.

Last edited:
I have a savage 300 win mag and it does shoot 1/2 moa. It would probably shoot even better than that if i did my part. I got the 111 and got new stock and trigger but its pretty hard to shoot 1/2 moa with it since its only 7 lbs. I have two and they both shoot better than i can hold it. If you get one plan on buying another stock but you will still have less than a remmy in it. You wont be sorry you got one

Last year I bought a Savage 16FCSS in 7WSM, detachable mag, SS, etc. Had the plastic stock. I called Savage and they sent me a replacement wood stock with steel pillars for ~$70. Makes a great starter type or carry rifle ...

Also have a 25 WSSM barrel for it, feeds great from mag and switching is easy!!!

i bought a savage 114 classic in 300win mag. out of the box it shot 1/2 moa at 100 yards. i tuned the trigger which is not a problem at all. it comes with a wrench that looks like a peg and you stick it in a hole and twist. simple. after tuning the trigger it now shoots sub moa at 100 yards. i shot 2 bullets in one hole! its a sweet rifle. i fitted it with a leupold 3x9x50 VXII with a long range duplex reticle. i shot a rootbeer keg with it the first shot at 550 yards. the barrel isnt even broken in. i love it.

You can use the cheapest donor action you can find (Stevens 200)
For $270 you can screw on a premium custom barrel from Shillen or McGowen.
$28 recoil lug
Add a $80 trigger from Sharp Shooter Supply.
Bed the action and you'll have a shooter.

rdc,
I think it would make a great starter LR rifle! I've owned 110FP's in both 7mmRemMag and .223Rem. Both were capable of .5", and better, @ 100yds with reloads. I never tried factory loads in either one. Both had the non-AccuTriggers, so I replaced both with Timneys (<$100). The one you're looking at sounds like it has the AccuTrigger.
Never cared for the cheapo Tupperware stocks. These are pillar bedded but still flimsy around the forearm area. I've always wanted to try stiffening the stock with aluminum rods and JB Weld, or something similar.
I just bought (01Aug) a used 112BVSS in .300WinMag for $500. The previous owner worked behind the counter, so I got a good feel for the history of the rifle. He hadn't shot it very much (<100rds), but did neglect to get the copper fouling outta the barrel. After 25-30 patches of Montana Extreme she was no worse for the wear. I mounted a Leupold 6.5-20x40 on it and reloaded some 165gn NBT's using H4350/69.0-73.0gn/9.5M. Best group was 72.0gn @ .4175" with average velocity of 3269fps. Smokin!
Two days ago I tried 180gn NBT's with H4350/9.5M. 69.0gn produced the best accuracy at .370", and 3094fps.
At 10lbs (bare) it's no lightweight, but it is steady! Good luck. JohnnyK.

I have a Savage 116 in 300 win. It shot OK at first but I have had the action trued and trigger added. I had a Stockade stock put on it, it has a reciol reducer and a alimbsaver pad on it. Kevin Rayhill did the stock and the machining. It now will shoot .5 with me at the trigger w/ RL-22 and 180's and it almost makes one hole at 100 with H-1000 and 200's. This is when I am having a good day obviously.The barrel isn't the fastest but it works and it isn't too hard on the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.