300 win mag advise

GrantDim

Hello guys, I was hopping someone could advise me. I have encounters a problem while trying to develop a load for my Winchester mod 70 300 win mag.

I'm pretty new to reloading but I have done a fair amount of research. I have asked a few friend for help regarding the distance my bullet needs to jump before it hits the lands but none are able to help me.

I hope someone here can help me, I'm questioning my rifle at this stage.

All measurement are in inches. The brass I am using are hornady, trimmed and measured to 2,620. I'm loading nosler balisstic tip 180gr. If I seat the bullet to just touch the lands my over all length from base of the case to the tip of the bullet is 3,530. At this length the loaded round will not fit in the magazine. To fit in the magazine the over all length will need to be 3,390. My concern is the the jump the bullet will need to make before it hits the lands is quite a big one.

So is this acceptable? If not is it possible that there is something wrong with my rifle?

Please forgive me if this is a silly question. I can't see how a long jump like that is going to give me good accuracy. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

I'd run them at max COAL you can feed properly in your rifle. Your bullet choice isn't overly sensitive to seating depth (in my experience).

I'd start low with the reloads and work up in .5 grain increments and see how it shoots. You may have to try a couple different bullets out. I'd stay away from sensitive bullets, like Berger VLDs. Some people have jumped them with great results. They can just drive you nuts, if you rifle doesn't like them. Unless you want to single feed.

Good advice above. Load to mag length . Develop a good load. Then play with seating from there. Some rifle / powder / bullet combos like a big jump.

I jump the 215 Berger Hybrids .070" so they fit in the mag and they shoot superbly. I wouldn't get too wrapped up on the measurements of the jump. If they shoot well, it doesn't matter.

I would try two coals. Max mag length and Noslers load oal. March up the powder like martinaki said and u should find a node.

Thank you so much for the advice guys. I will load to max COAL that feeds properly in my rifle and work on loads from there.

GrantDim,

Welcome to the forum.

Ur post was very well constructed producing a straight forward topic.

I shoot the same load from a longer action/or magazine at 3.525".

That is somewhat of a problem with Winchesters. You can make the box longer & then load with the bullets farther out. I did it with my custom 22-250 that is built on the model 70. My cousin has a model 70 that would not group well so he cut his box longer & now it shoots little ragged holes at 100 yards.
Thanks, Kirk

Hello guys, I was hopping someone could advise me. I have encounters a problem while trying to develop a load for my Winchester mod 70 300 win mag.

I'm pretty new to reloading but I have done a fair amount of research. I have asked a few friend for help regarding the distance my bullet needs to jump before it hits the lands but none are able to help me.

I hope someone here can help me, I'm questioning my rifle at this stage.

All measurement are in inches. The brass I am using are hornady, trimmed and measured to 2,620. I'm loading nosler balisstic tip 180gr. If I seat the bullet to just touch the lands my over all length from base of the case to the tip of the bullet is 3,530. At this length the loaded round will not fit in the magazine. To fit in the magazine the over all length will need to be 3,390. My concern is the the jump the bullet will need to make before it hits the lands is quite a big one.

So is this acceptable? If not is it possible that there is something wrong with my rifle?

Please forgive me if this is a silly question. I can't see how a long jump like that is going to give me good accuracy. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Welcome and enjoy our friendly forum.

I have a very similar situation in my Kimber 8400, the 180gr Accubond I run in it needs to be 3.550" to touch the rifling, my mag box is 3.400", I load them to 3.390" just like you to fit the mag.
I have found that doing the normal seating depth test of a starting load and seating bullets IN by .010" in 3-4 increments often finds that the mag length max is about right. Then just do normal work up and pick the tightest group.
There really is no hard and fast rule that best accuracy is found with EVERY bullet being close to the rifling, in fact, Berger recommends a long jump with their Hybrid type bullets.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with your rifle, some manufacturers feel there is less possibilty of a problem arising with high pressure when a long throat is used.
All of my comp barrels have longer
throats than SAAMI for this very reason.

Cheers.
:)

Many points above well stated. I too have a short box on a Ruger tang safety. Don't be afraid to try the Bergers at mag length. The 210 shoots better than the 215 in this rifle. Both loaded to 3.35" to ensure feeding/reliability.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts