Getting started need advice!!!

Firearrow

Just got all of my basic reloading stuff and I am starting off on 5.56 for my AR, with the intention of moving to 300 mag in the near future, once I get the hang of loading 5.56. The 5.56 are just fun rounds for the AR. What I have so far is,

RCBS press
RCBS elct scale (the smaller one)
RCBS hand primer
Uniflo Powder Measure with micro meter
Lube pad
Various brushes

Now the question is, the different types of head space gagues, calipers, and other tools confuses me when people say "you need this, or don't get that" for precision reloading. My goal is to load the best round I can for my 300, and leave the rest up to me, and the rifle. I want to be able to take shoot well out to about 600 yards for hunting. So what more do I need, and where do I get it. Would rather pay alittle more up front so that I don't need to up grade latter. I know this is a drawn out question, but I appreciate your time. Thanks

Garett

This isn't a simple question!
It really depends on how far you want to go!

Headspace gauges won't necessarily improve accuracy, but a bullet comparator will!
Calipers and a micrometer are indispensable tools for making accurate ammunition, as are concentricity gauges and a good balance beam scale, I would recommend you get one, electronic scales can and do go out of whack regularly.

A good set of bushing style dies will go a long way for extreme accuracy, normal dies just don't cut the mustard, IMHO!

The other most important factor is bullet choice!
Get it all right with the best bullet and you can't really go wrong, even with the 'wrong' handloading components!

Just got all of my basic reloading stuff and I am starting off on 5.56 for my AR, with the intention of moving to 300 mag in the near future, once I get the hang of loading 5.56. The 5.56 are just fun rounds for the AR. What I have so far is,

RCBS press
RCBS hand primer
Lube pad
Various brushes

Now the question is, the different types of head space gagues, calipers, and other tools confuses me when people say "you need this, or don't get that" for precision reloading. My goal is to load the best round I can for my 300, and leave the rest up to me, and the rifle. I want to be able to take shoot well out to about 600 yards for hunting. So what more do I need, and where do I get it. Would rather pay alittle more up front so that I don't need to up grade latter. I know this is a drawn out question, but I appreciate your time. Thanks

Garett

You didn't mention what dies you have. I use the Redding type S neck sizers sometimes and the redding and forster full length sizers as well as the redding competition seater. The competition seater is about $90, but it is well worth it , especially if you will be loading more than one type of bullet. You will eventually need a case trimmer, chamfer and deburring tool. You do need a caliper, micrometer is optional, so are the gauges you refer to. Thats all you need to reload, however you will find once you start down this long road there is no stopping! You will constantly find things that you need to add to your collection. So, to finally answer your question, I would get the basic things you need to start loading, then as you gain experience you will have a better idea of the tools that will best fit your individual needs.

your electronic scale is good to keep, you will find it useful while sorting bullets and brass, but workin with powder will prove it obosolete

case trimmer. dies, components, primer pocket brush, champher/de-burring tool (vld?) a loading manuel helps alot. and so does a funnel. good luck

RCBS press
RCBS hand primer
Lube pad
Various brushes

Garett

To what you have, for getting started, I'd add:
1) A case length trimmer. Wilson if you want the best.
2) Case deburring tool
3) A vibrating cleaner and some sort of seperator for cleaning cases. Dillon makes a really good quality vibrating case cleaner and rotary seperator. The smaller size each is all you need.
4) Set of electronic calipers.
5) 0-1" micrometer.
6) A bullet makers reloading manual from every bullet vendor whose bullets you are using.
7) A good balance beam scale.
8) Set of scale check weights.

There is lots of other stuff, but if you add those 8 items you can reload a heck of a lot of good ammunition.

Micrometer adjusting and bushing dies aren't needed to get started, or maybe ever, if all you reload is AR plinking ammo and ammo for hunting at PBR distances.

If you get into shooting beyond 300 yards you will start to look at making more precisely reloaded ammunition. If and when you get to that stage you will "know" what other things you need.

Fitch

IMO put the lube pad away and go to the one shot lube sprays.

take a look at the Forester BR dies with micro seater. Half the price of the redding and just as good. $40 and the sizer can be converted to bushings by Jim Carstenson at JLC precision (www.6mmbr.com under the Tools section is his info) when you are ready to go bushings

Get a sinclair catalog www.sinclairintl.com and one from Harts. www.rwhart.com read the articles on the sinclair site on how to's

good tumbler and chrono will be essential

Darrel Holland sells great case neck mikes at great prices and has lot of reloading and shooting speciality items. He as a website and catalog and sponsor here

BH

Iam new at this to. What about a primer pocket uniformer and a flash hole uniformer? I am looking in the 2010 Lymans catalog Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

I've loaded thousands of rounds and don't own a primer pocket uniformer. I do have one of the Sinclair flash hole tools - I've only had it for the last year. I use it on new brass. It's one of the many tools in the nice to have but not strictly necessary category.

Fitch

i dont used the tumbler for rifle ammo it dings up the neck i have work hard on getting uniform but i do with pistol to get all junk the they collect when on the ground with an ar i might being it already bounce around on the ground still havent got into reloading the 223 i still find cheap ammo the wm is different way cheaper to reload for qualty ammo i like the dial caliber no worry about being off with a good set like a starret or brown & sharp and the dial is cheaper than elec too i find the load book of the bullet manu being pretty close to the load i go with a chrono is a must for pushing the load up if u stick to std or close too u could hold off on it this is a never ending process you will always be adding new stuff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.