getting started

Jscrapmetal

I am wanting to start reloading some 300 Win Mag ammo. Where should I start? What brand of reloading equipment and so on? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Jscrap, check for reviews of presses, dies, scales and all equipment you need on custom search. You will see most every brand suggested as the best by posters. Choose the equipment YOU want based on research, your budget and needs. As we approach the holidays many online shopping deals on complete kits are found. If you are like most hand loaders you will never finish adding to your equipment. Lots of enjoyment and lots or $$$$$$. Good luck

Jscrap, check for reviews of presses, dies, scales and all equipment you need on custom search. You will see most every brand suggested as the best by posters. Choose the equipment YOU want based on research, your budget and needs. As we approach the holidays many online shopping deals on complete kits are found. If you are like most hand loaders you will never finish adding to your equipment. Lots of enjoyment and lots or $$$$$$. Good luck

agree, find a kit (I like most of the Lee stuff out there but, for rifle the aluminum presses don't do it IMHO), and add to it, if it comes with a digital scale add a beam model, get yourself a trimmer and a second manual (all kits come with a manual) and you should always cross reference your load
your dies I like the Lee dies (FL, collet and seat), Also RCBS and Hornady are very good for the money
if the kit you choose comes without a primer pocket cleaner get one. A brass tumbler is nice but not really needed I just got a tumbler 5 or 6 years ago and have been reloading since the 70's

If you haven't reloaded anything before, the best place to start is a good manual or reloading book. I'm a big fan of "The ABCs of Reloading" but there are plenty of other good ones out there.

While it may be tempting to go cheap, I've found that you end up saving in the long run if you buy quality parts and tools from the beginning. Buy once, cry once :)

Corey Schwanz
Berger Bullet Technical Support

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.