Getting started

I have been reloading 40+ years. If I had one piece of advise to give. Buy the best equipment that you can afford to start! I started with a Lyman Kit, that worked for many years and I still have some of the parts to that original kit over 40 years later.

I have used all kinds of different die sets. For rifle dies I lean towards Forester owning several sets. I also have Redding and RCBS rifle dies. I have one set of Hornady rifle dies and they are OK for economy dies. Adding a Lee Collett die to your reloading process can eliminates a lot of issues.
Pistol dies I only use RCBS Carbide die sets. Price point is right and quality is excellent. I've got a lot of older RCBS dies.

RCBS Rock Chucker press is what I use. Watch eBay and sometimes they can be bought reasonable. Reliable tough press. I use the primer seating attachment on my RCBS press to seat primers. I also use RCBS bench mount primer tool as well. Both do an excellent job, Bench mounted tool is much more positive se

Scales I prefer balance beam scales over electronic! That is just me, any reliable scale with check weights to make they stay true is a must. I currently still use the Original Lyman 505 scale that I purchased over 40 years ago. Keep them clean dust free and scales will last a lifetime. I also have a vintage Redding 325 scale on my bench.

When it comes to brass trimmers, to me L.E. Wilson is the only way to go. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. There are others, but Wilson is a mini lathe that uses case holders instead of collets and pilots. Slows down the trimming process, but Wilson trimmer will provide the most accurate brass trimming you can buy. Tool can also be used to inside neck ream and clean primer pockets. Again, expensive but you buy it once and it will last a lifetime of brass trimming.

Powder measure I use old Ohaus that I purchased used a couple years after I purchased my Lyman kit. Great powder measure if you can find one on eBay. Electronic is way too expensive for my taste and will not throw charges as accurate as my old Ohaus.

Good Calipers are essential. Dial are fine, but I have used Digital for years. Buy the best that you can afford. I use Starrett, Mitutoyo are excellent as well. Some people will tell you that the calipers from China at Harbor Freight are fine. Made in Japan ok stay away from made in China. I have made that mistake, waste of $30. You can shop around, but expect to pay $150 and up for any quality digital caliper. Quality dial calipers are less $$ nut not by much for good quality set?

You can use lube pad and case lube for your rifle cases for sizing. I have switched to using Hornady Unique Case Paste. Non petroleum product that will not contaminate powder or primers. Remainder of equipment are powder funnels for different cases, powder trickler, reloading manuals (More the Better) I like the Lyman Manuals. Read them and read them. I have a bookcase of manuals old and new.

The above mentioned will set you back some significant $$. Reloading is not cheap to get into, but once you get started it will become an habit! If you think that reloading will save you money, think again. Equipment will never pay for itself. To be able to make reloads for specific purpose and succeed is Priceless!

If you are looking to dip your toes gradually, I would start with an RCBS or Lyman kit for starters and build up your reloading equipment over time. Much easier on the wallet!

Welcome to the Insane World of Reloading. Stick to this site for information. Good bunch of Guy's here.

Get a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press to start and the customer service is excellent l. I like Redding Dies and the customer service. Get a nice basic media type brass cleaner. I have a media brass cleaner from Cabellas I paid $45 for and it's lasted me over 10 years now and over 10000 pieces of brass. I have a RCBS digital scale and also a RCBS beam scale and both serve me well. I use the beam scale when doing load developing and the digital self feed scale when standard loading. I just finished redoing my bench and upgrading some. Get case gauges as well as they save you from some serious headaches. Get a hand priming to by RCBS.

View attachment 196129View attachment 196130
That looks like a nice set up

Hello all I'm am wanting to get started reloading and need some guidance on what all I will need I know I'll need a press and does and scale and oal gauge and coal gauge but not sure what else I'll need and I'm also trying to find mast stuff used as well
Glen Zediker's book Top Grade Ammo is good. The Sierra manual is also good.

There is a lot of good equipment. The thing I would add is you mentioned you want to reload for several people and several different rifles. What are your goals? Accuracy improvement? Saving money? Those are the two goals most common for reloading. My opinion is, unless you really need to pinch a penny for your brother and dad let them shoot factory ammo for awhile. You focus on one rifle for you and learn the basics. Any reloader can make a round that will shoot in any SAMMI spec .308 chamber. How ever by doing so you won't be learning much about producing accuracy in any one rifle.
Buy the basic reloading equipment from any top manufacturer.
I would pick what you assume to be the one rifle you have that has the most accuracy potential.
Start reloading and developing a load for that one rifle.
Start with a known accuracy load for .308.
Learn about accuracy reloading basics. Bumping the shoulder back, seating depth and jump and so on.

If your interest is learning accuracy reloading don't start by working on four different rifles.

In addition to equipment, you need a place to work and a system for taking notes that you can refer to later. Bottom line: ORGANIZATION! It is super important for purposes of safety and consistency.
Okay thank you.i have a good place to set everything up at I just need to build a bigger work bench

There is a lot of good equipment. The thing I would add is you mentioned you want to reload for several people and several different rifles. What are your goals? Accuracy improvement? Saving money? Those are the two goals most common for reloading. My opinion is, unless you really need to pinch a penny for your brother and dad let them shoot factory ammo for awhile. You focus on one rifle for you and learn the basics. Any reloader can make a round that will shoot in any SAMMI spec .308 chamber. How ever by doing so you won't be learning much about producing accuracy in any one rifle.
Buy the basic reloading equipment from any top manufacturer.
I would pick what you assume to be the one rifle you have that has the most accuracy potential.
Start reloading and developing a load for that one rifle.
Start with a known accuracy load for .308.
Learn about accuracy reloading basics. Bumping the shoulder back, seating depth and jump and so on.

If your interest is learning accuracy reloading don't start by working on four different rifles.
Yea I'm wanting to do it for accuracy and save some money cause I do shoot alot and also something I've always wanted to do.i do have ideas of what bullets I want to use just not sure of what powders but I'm still researching it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.