Future of my 7mm rum?

I currently have a ziess conquest 6.5-20x50 mounted with leupold dove tail sights. Like I said before I am green and going to ask some dumb questions. But I figure if I ask you guys it would be like getting engine building advice from Penske motorsports. :)

I didn't see you post what kind of performance you're getting with the way it's currently set up. If you are getting acceptable velocity and accuracy then I say give it a go as is, sounds like you are doing fine. I'm actually envious of your success. If it hasn't got any kind of bedding then I would probably have it done to help with consistency. Your rifle is more then capable of what you ask- 700yard elk & 1000yard predator.
My LR rifle started as basically the same as yours, just laminated .338RUM. I never even gave it a chance. I sent it straight to Kirby Allen. Do I like what I have, absolutely! Do I wish I would have given it a chance with the original barrel, sometimes. I just wanted to have something different, a LR .338 Edge.
As far as the budget, I have less total in my rifle then you have just for upgrades. You should be fine. The scope you have is a good one, just limited on total adjustments. Check it to see how much elevation you have to play with after initial zero, then decide whether you need to upgrade mounts and or rings.
Sounds like you (like the rest of us, especially myself lately) need to spend more time and energy (and money) into pulling the trigger at longer ranges instead of upgrading things that might not need upgrading. Practice for that 1000 smaller target-shot, if nothing else it'll make that 700 yard bull that much easier. Or build the rifle of your dreams. Just be warned, you will never be satisfied if you start down that road!:D

This would be a question for a gunsmith, but with your current setup, I don't know if you could change to a different 7mm case than the rum as the feedrails would be to wide for say a 7 RM or 7-300WM cartridge.
But if it was doable, I would go with a 7-300WM due to RWS brass quality, and long neck design.
Otherwise, a 338 EDGE is the ticket. 28" barrel will get you 2850fps in a Broughton tube.

Like others have said. I'd take it to Shawn carlock and have him put on a new barrel in 7 RUM, true the action and put it in a McMillan stock. I'd probably have him put on his muzzlebrake too.

EGW makes pretty decent rails, I'd get their HD rail. The Burris xTR rings are pretty good too. If you in your budget look at seeking rail and rings, or badger ordnance.

I'd stick with the 7 RUM because you have everything for it and a feel for it can do.

Great news guys,
Just received my rifle back from the gunsmith. Had him float the barrel,
glass and pillar bed the stock, complete rebluing, and he inspected the throat
for wear. Everything is great, turns out my barrel has plenty of life left in
her.:D I'm a lefty, so im always looking for the next rifle deal I cant pass up. I was trying to decide on what to do with my 7 rum after the barrel went south when I wrote this post and many had me thinking along the lines of 300/338 or 338 rum. I have since solved my problem and jumped on a great deal for a rem 700 338 rum lefty LSS. Problem Solved. Wait lightbulb... now I need to build that gun. *CRAP*

your good to go man! You dont get much better exterior ballistics than the .338 and 7mm RUM! Im jealous. Its always nice getting new guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.