future builds

John hunter

I have a rem 700ADL SA in 243 built in 1971 and a 700 BDL LA 30/06 from the early 80s. Both guns have been pillar bedded with Holland pillars and Steelbed.I have also done some work on both triggers. My plans were rebarreling the SA to a 260AI and the LA to a 280AI. I do not compete but i do like to beat my friends and also hunt. Now my problem is reading forums. I keep hearing about new rounds like 6.5 and 7 mm Shermans and SS, 6.5/06, using LA for a 260 to use longer bullets, and so on. nowI am second guessing myself. I have a range where I can shoot 200 to 1500 yds.
money is an object so I dont want to buy fully custom dies and reamers but Im open to just about anything. The ADL will be for hunting and target and the BDL will be a target gun only. I would like to hear what some members would rebarrel them to and why, I still like the 260 and 280 but someone may change my mind.

I have a rem 700ADL SA in 243 built in 1971 and a 700 BDL LA 30/06 from the early 80s. Both guns have been pillar bedded with Holland pillars and Steelbed.I have also done some work on both triggers. My plans were rebarreling the SA to a 260AI and the LA to a 280AI. I do not compete but i do like to beat my friends and also hunt. Now my problem is reading forums. I keep hearing about new rounds like 6.5 and 7 mm Shermans and SS, 6.5/06, using LA for a 260 to use longer bullets, and so on. nowI am second guessing myself. I have a range where I can shoot 200 to 1500 yds.
money is an object so I dont want to buy fully custom dies and reamers but Im open to just about anything. The ADL will be for hunting and target and the BDL will be a target gun only. I would like to hear what some members would rebarrel them to and why, I still like the 260 and 280 but someone may change my mind.

IIWY, I'd stick with your original plan.

If you think you're second guessing yourself now, just wait ................... :):D:rolleyes:

stick with what you are thing nothing wrong with it,but on the bdl go with a heavy bbl and put a good brake on it even though there is not a lot of recoil have fun

If you're going to rebarrel a short action to a 260 AI then you need to have it machined to accept a Wyatt's extended magazine. A standard remington short action magazine box is too short for that round using long VLD type bullets.

One reason I was thinking of using the long action for a 6.5.
I have to finish a Grendal upper before I can start on one of the 700s.
By then i will have changed my mind 10 times!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts