Future Build

areyoujelen

Hi guys I am considering a future build. It may be a little ways down the road, but wanted to get everyones 2 cents. Between all of the members here there is quite a bit of knowledge at my disposal. So here is my plan I have a Sako 75 270 wsm I got years back and love it. I have yet to run a action that feels better, and plan on shooting it as is until time for re-barreling. Then I would be swapping for a 24" proof sendero or sendero light chambered in 270 wsm again. I would like to go with a light weight stock like the proof/lonewolf or a edge, but I'm not having luck with compatibility with the Sako 75 action. Can anyone shed some light on that issue? Also on my list is having the bolt fluted for a little extra weight savings, milling the top of the action and tapping it so tally style mounts can be installed, and a few other things here and there. My plans for this gun is a long range lightweight pack rifle for western hunting, with my target game being anything from Coues Deer to Elk. Happy hunting and thanks in advance!

Looks like McMillan makes the Hunters Edge for a Sako 75. For western long range, I'd up it to a 300 WSM and shoot the heavier berger 210 VLD or maybe even the 215 Berger. Talleys are nice, as long as you have a scope that can dial the distance without a 20 MOA rail.

I shoot a 300 WSM with Berger 210 at 2880 FPS. For a 800 yard shot at 5500 feet elevation I need 16.5 MOA and have Velocity of 1975 FPS and energy of 1820 ft-lbs.
That should be plenty for elk sized game. If I use a Vortex 30mm scope, I should have about 35 MOA of upward elevation adjustment. So I don't need a rail.

I am running 7mm wsm and pushing 168gr Bergers at a little over 2900. I could push them much faster but they are accurate and I would like to save my barrel and expensive fireformed Norma 300WSM brass.

Sighted 1.5" high at 100 puts at point and shoot for elk out to 325ish and 14.4 MOA out to 800 YD. The light bullet only holds 1500 fl-lbs. I prefer lighter recoil, but after 600 yards 300 seems to take over. I could switch to a 180 but I had my barrel custom throated for 168's at mag length and touching lands. 180's would never fit in the case without taking up all the capacity.

270 WSM is lacking in bullet selection. I would move up to a 300 or .284 or if you want to stay small 6.5's bullet selection is good, but barrel life may suffer.

Sounds like a cool build, I've ran a 270 WSM a lot, 165 Matrix at 3060 fps will do destroy an elk, taken many out into the 900+ range and it'll absolutely crush elk!

I have though about the 7wsm but the brass issue has somewhat deterred me. I have never fire formed any brass, and was trying to avoid it if possible. How much work is it to fire form 300 wsm to 7wsm? Is there any advantage of the 300 over the 7mm or vise versa? I like the 270 wsm but am not dead set on it. However, I would like to keep it limited to wsm or rsaum.

A true 7 WSM is a dead cartridge as it's a little longer than all the others, if a guy goes with a 7mm you use a 300 as the parent case so just sizing down and GTG. However, loading all three to the best they can do you won't get a nickles worth of difference inside a mile and there are truly only a couple top bullet choices in each. My favorite is the 270 with a 165 Matrix, then a 300 with a 215 Berger!

A true 7 WSM is a dead cartridge as it's a little longer than all the others, if a guy goes with a 7mm you use a 300 as the parent case so just sizing down and GTG. However, loading all three to the best they can do you won't get a nickles worth of difference inside a mile and there are truly only a couple top bullet choices in each. My favorite is the 270 with a 165 Matrix, then a 300 with a 215 Berger!

Mine will survive through fire forming. Brass is pretty much nonexistent already from win these days, but I already had all the dies so stuck with it at least for this barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.