Barrel Threading for future use

Hatrick

Please bare with me on thread placement as I hang on this thread more and I have read alot of post of reputable people on here with suppressors. Thanks, Tom

After using my Contender for 7 years in Florida pig hunting the pigs have become smarter and we are hunting them at night. Some of our pig areas don't let us get closer than 50 yds. The Contender while plenty accurate at that range the red dot and my aging eyes have a problem. I purchased a 23" 223 bull barrel and Choat stock that I saw people do for the kids on here. I also purchased a day/ night vision scope. I will have some down time after April when we head back to NJ for the summer and want to have the barrel threaded to allow future suppressor use. I am looking at what would be the best thread size. 5/8 24 1/2 28 or something else.

Leave as much meat as you can between the threads and the bore. I'd go 5/8 24 if you can.

There are a few things to consider: 1) Wall thickness at the muzzle (as dmoon said, the "meat" between your threads and the bore) and 2) Shoulder thickness (the "meat" between your threads and the outer diameter [O.D.]of your barrel, which will depend on your contour)

1) A general safety rule is a minimum of .070" of wall thickness at the muzzle. Keep in mind that's per "side". So your thread diameter should be a minimum of .140" over bore diameter. E.g. If you're bore is .308", .500" (for 1/2"-28) minus .308" = .192", so 1/2"-28 will work.

2) Again, using a general rule, you want a minimum of .030" of shoulder (remember, per "side") for your suppressor to seat against, so .060" of barrel diameter over your thread diameter is a minimum (if you're going with the direct thread attachment method). E.g. If you have a sporter barrel and you're running an O.D. of .630" at the shoulder, a 5/8"-24 thread (.625") is a no-go (.630" - .625" = .005"). But 1/2"-28 (.630" - .500" = .130") would be acceptable.

Keeping these things in mind, I would recommend threading your muzzle with the largest you can get away with that will satisfy both requirements. E.g. Remington Varmint contour, .308" bore: .830" OD - .625" = .205" or .1025" shoulder; .625" - .308" = .317" or .1585" wall thickness; choose 5/8"-24 over 1/2"-28.

Wait, let me rephrase that: I would recommend threading your muzzle with the largest, COMMON thread you can get away with that will satisfy both requirements. You did good choosing 5/8"-24 and 1/2"-28. These are common for most suppressor and muzzle brake manufacturers. You won't want to run a 17/32"-32 or something goofy like that :)

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.