Mailman's future ram spotted!

Re: Mailman\'s future ram spotted!

[ QUOTE ]
Cam

There are also California sheep. You know how to tell a California Sheep from the other sheep?

[/ QUOTE ]
They the ones wearing sunglasses & cell phones and
drinking bottled spring water?

DK

GG
Those are some brutes!!
Its hard to believe they fight so hard to have those battle scare's!! just incredible.
Magnificant animals!!
I have some pics of some smaller sheep by Sunnyside, and have seen them at Lake Powell, Moab, and a few in Colo.
Its always a joy to spot some game in new areas.

Thanks for taken the time to post the info and pics.
So are you linked up with Karl for the hunt?

Ever see any mulies in that back country? or is it just to dry?

CAM

Thanks Cam.

Those rams by Sunnyside are in the unit I'm currently applying for. That is the range creek/nine mile unit and it produces several book rams every year.

I am not personally hooked up with Karl on this hunt but a friend of mine will probably be the one he books with and I will tag along if he lets me. Karl is fairly skittish when it comes to being out in the open on hunts. One of my other friends ran across him on an elk hunt several years ago and he kind of hid and let his body guards do all the talking. I guess he doesn't like all the publicity when he's hunting. Can't blame the guy.

As far as the mulies go, yes there are some brutes out there. In fact, the Buck of Justice came off the plateau just east of where I shot my ram. There are lots of guys who hunt it and I have compared notes with them and they all seem to say that there aren't many deer out there but the ones that are there are huge and smart. They are so smart that they don't really even chase does too much. They just live out their old age up on the plateau away from everything.

Then of course, you have the Kaibab in Arizona just across the border from these sheep units and the deer migrate right over hwy 89 into Arizona. One night while driving to sheep camp at 4:00 am, I locked up my brakes on what I swear was a state record buck crossing the road. It crossed in front of me and just kept moving into Arizona. This thing was huge!! It had points all over, was over 35" wide, had cheaters, trash, mass, and a drops on both sides!

I really paid attention to the pics of bucks taken in that area since seeing him and to my knowledge, he is still out there probably living a completely nocturnal life among the super dense juniper forest on the border.

On Christmas of '06, I looked for my skid marks in the road where he crossed and they are still there about 8 miles out of Kanab.

GG
Can't blame him at all!
Hunting is to get out and away from it all!
Man! that road to two weeps can be muddy in the winter!!
Sure is a nice view looking into the river bottom!
There are some good people in Kanab, the pressure for big deer has made alot of them make some bad choices.

Did you see the seeps buck?

Those deer look nice in the headlights!! thats what dreams are made of!! mine was in Colo about "82" but was broad day light we were Elk hunting, couple days to deer season.
sittin on our horses watchin three 4 points come out of the oak and side hill around the ridge, we were eating, laughin, watchin them bucks, they keep looking back into the oak so we waited and waited...... The oak parted and everybodys mouth hit the dirt he was NICE! biggest body and antlered deer I have seen to date! walked up the ridge and over the other side in slow motion, never to be seen again!! except in my dreams! sloooow moootion swinging that head up the hill and over the ridge, I know it wasn't but he looked three times the width of his butt!!

CAM

GG,I forgot to mention earlier about your restraint from trying to get close to a Band of wintering Rockys just to get a better picture!!! Five months of winter is stress enough!! Good job, and plenty good pics!!!---RHB

Cam, looks like the sheep have you hooked for sure!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Uncle B. and Grouper actually drool like Homer Simpson on a pork chop, when they start talking Sheep. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif---RHB

GG,

Incredible stuff. It's really too bad that the sheep are so scarce that it's nearly impossible to draw for the hunts.

Hunts like these are the stuff that long distance hunters dreams are made of... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

$bob$

An update to this thread:

After another good spring and summer of growth, Karl's ram put on another .5" more mass in the bases and became an absolute monster.

Karl shot him on the 5th of October and I just got the scoresheets back this week. His ram went an incredible 188.5"!! So much for full curls! This is an automatic entry to the B&C for Karl. The sheep was 9 1/2 years old was was one of the original sheep that Karl helped put on the mountain way back in the mid 90's.

The other guy who drew this tag (Karl bought his tag) got to hunt a month after Karl had already shot the biggest ram but still managed to pull out a 176.5" brute out of the same herd. That ram is the lighter colored ram under the big one and to the right in my fourth picture. He was a great ram too.

Now the biggest ram in this herd I have seen since these two were killed is around 172" and a great looking, boxy and square horned ram. I managed to sneak in above him last week and take some cool pictures of him:
abovearockyram.jpg

8sheeponaledge.jpg

I wish my camera was a super nice one for great pictures but I decided instead to get a lightweight, small camera simply for backpacking. It is a Minolta Dimagex with a Minolta 5.7-17.1mm lens. Then there are some other numbers underneath that I have no idea what they mean. They are 1:2.8-3.6

And I believe it is a 3 megapixel too.

That is exactly the same camera that I carry on my belt when hunting. I like it a lot for this purpose.

The mystery numbers refer to the speed of the lens.

montanapanopost.jpg

From my Montana hunt. Six or seven images stitched together in a panorama shot.

You must have been pretty close to those sheep.

Len,
Does your camera have a hard time when it's cold out? I usually can turn mine on and as soon as I go to zoom, it says the batteries are exhausted and shuts off even when I just charged them up. Perhaps my batteries are bad but they last for days when it is warm outside.

That is a cool panaramic picture by the way!

Thanks

My camera stays under my jacket so I suppose the battery is warm. On mine it is a single lithium battery which holds charge the best of any in cold weather.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.