Future of 7MM Calibers of Interest

Qrachel

I bought a Tikka '06 a couple of years ago, putting off venturing into to 7mm land, and I am satisfied with its performance based on shooting range and hunting experiences out to 350 yards with HSM 168g VLDs - I'm pretty sure I could stretch to 500 yds with a little more practice behind the weapon, something that interests me just because. All in all, the '06 seems like a fine cartridge to me. But as with many things in life, if its working OK why not mess with it and see what happens . . . or some variation thereof. :D

I've always thought I'd like to have a 7mm of some kind and the three that have the most appeal to me are the 280 AI, 7WSM and the 7mm Rem mag. There are other great 7mm platform calibers out there but that's my shortlist.

Since I'm now definitely in the elder's group, I'm either going to have scratch this itch soon or show a little grace in the matter and be a little less "out there" - not a particularly attractive alternative, for I'm definitely one of those going quietly types wherever people think they are going while they are still here! :rolleyes:

So friends, in the next 5-8+ years or so is there any reason to eliminate on of these fine calibers based on whatever reason you may want to offer, and thank you all for even reading this much considering to reply.

Rachel

P.S. I kinda lean towards the 280 AI, 7mm RM and 7WSM in that order, but that's just me and it5's not cast in stone. I don't hand load but would definitely want ammo developed around 168g VLD or ABLR with the custom build and then have the cartridge custom loaded a few hundred rounds at a time.

Availability of brass must be taken into account when choosing any cartridge these days ! Why drive yourself crazy 5 years from now trying to find brass. I think most would feel comfortable picking the 7mm rm, when brass for this ole' warrior becomes scarse everything else will be non-existant. Why go nuts for an extra 100-200 fps. You stated you don't handload so I would never stray far from the time tested 7mm rem mag !!!

I went with the 280ai, and load 168 grain Berger VLD's. To me there isn't a more perfect cartridge. BUT, I do reload. Commercial ammunition would be limited, but good quality at the same time.

The problem for you however, out to 500 yards or so, you good old 30-06 with 168 grain ammo would perform nearly identically.

I would have to agree with the previous gentleman. A 7mm RM is going to be far easier to work with. It's going to kick a bit more, but you'll also get a bit more performance.

The 7 wsm is a fantastic cartridge, but brass is already hard to find. As deserving a cartridge as it is, I'm not sure of it's fate.

There is nothing wrong with the 30/06 and it has held many 1000 yard records. "BUT" if you have the itch, a 280 Rem or the 280 AI would definitely cure the itch, and would be a simple re barrel
of your 30/06.

Brass is still available from the factory (280 Rem) and if the AI is a choice, the factory ammo can be fired to fire form to 280 AI brass.

With the 280 Rem, Recoil will be reduced and ballistics will be improved because of the bullet selection used in the 280.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

The only one I'd probably cull is the 7mmwsm. And the reason has already been given. Getting a hold of ammo and brass are on the difficult side and could get worse in the future. I don't know how much recoil you would consider acceptable, but I almost always go with a muzzle brake on anything much more than a 25-06. If it's not comfortable to shoot I won't shoot it enough to become proficient with the rifle. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

The only one I'd probably cull is the 7mmwsm. And the reason has already been given. Getting a hold of ammo and brass are on the difficult side and could get worse in the future. I don't know how much recoil you would consider acceptable, but I almost always go with a muzzle brake on anything much more than a 25-06. If it's not comfortable to shoot I won't shoot it enough to become proficient with the rifle. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Do not roll out 7-300 wsm. Most barrel makers chamber it. I still have a 7mm wsm but fireform Norma wsm brass (300 or 270). I do not mind since I have 12 reloads on first round of brass.

Well.... since you don't reload/hand load I'm thinking the 7mm Rem mag is the way to go.

The 280AI seems like a great chambering though I don't know if off-the-shelf ammo is available. If it is (I am doubtful) available off-the-shelf, I'd bet it's hard to come by. Meanwhile the 7mm Rem mag can be found just about anywhere.

The 7WSM, despite it's amazing-ness, is nearly like a rainbow-horned unicorn. Good luck finding ammo for it.

I bought a Tikka '06 a couple of years ago, putting off venturing into to 7mm land, and I am satisfied with its performance based on shooting range and hunting experiences out to 350 yards with HSM 168g VLDs - I'm pretty sure I could stretch to 500 yds with a little more practice behind the weapon, something that interests me just because. All in all, the '06 seems like a fine cartridge to me. But as with many things in life, if its working OK why not mess with it and see what happens . . . or some variation thereof. :D

I've always thought I'd like to have a 7mm of some kind and the three that have the most appeal to me are the 280 AI, 7WSM and the 7mm Rem mag. There are other great 7mm platform calibers out there but that's my shortlist.

Since I'm now definitely in the elder's group, I'm either going to have scratch this itch soon or show a little grace in the matter and be a little less "out there" - not a particularly attractive alternative, for I'm definitely one of those going quietly types wherever people think they are going while they are still here! :rolleyes:

So friends, in the next 5-8+ years or so is there any reason to eliminate on of these fine calibers based on whatever reason you may want to offer, and thank you all for even reading this much considering to reply.

Rachel

P.S. I kinda lean towards the 280 AI, 7mm RM and 7WSM in that order, but that's just me and it5's not cast in stone. I don't hand load but would definitely want ammo developed around 168g VLD or ABLR with the custom build and then have the cartridge custom loaded a few hundred rounds at a time.
Sooner or later brass is going to become hard to come by for the wsm's I think. The .280 AI isn't always easy to find factory ammo for which is a red flag for me.

I shot the 7mm Rem Mag for decades before moving up to the 7mm STW but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Rem. Next only to the 300wm when it comes to a "do it all" hunting cartridge it's extremely hard to beat.

Thanks Everyone. I appreciate the feedback - all great comments!

I'm emotionally attached to the 280 AI, but the 7mm RM does make the most sense given that I don't reload.

Thanks again,

Rachel :)

P.S. Supposed to talk to the gun smith later this week.

I'm not sure if you are aware that 280AI and 7mm Rem Mag do not have the same bolt face.
280AI - .472" Standard bolt face
7mm Rem Mag/7mm WSM - .535" Magnum bolt face

I'm emotionally attached to the 280 AI, but the 7mm RM does make the most sense given that I don't reload.

The 280 AI isn't going anywhere, it's been around since like the 1940's as a wildcat. Than recently introduced as a commercial cartridge by Nosler to SAAMI. But yeah, it's going to live on, but it may live on mostly as a reloaders cartridge.

A 280ai can, by the way, shoot regular 280 Rem ammo also. Anyway, I don't want to talk you out of the 280ai, but a 7mm Rem Mag is going to be far easier for someone who doesn't reload.

The 280 AI isn't going anywhere, it's been around since like the 1940's as a wildcat. Than recently introduced as a commercial cartridge by Nosler to SAAMI. But yeah, it's going to live on, but it may live on mostly as a reloaders cartridge.

A 280ai can, by the way, shoot regular 280 Rem ammo also. Anyway, I don't want to talk you out of the 280ai, but a 7mm Rem Mag is going to be far easier for someone who doesn't reload.

I appreciate your post. Thanks very much . . . Rachel

Looking at your sport list I can't help but mention 7 saum. That is what I settled on. Worth a look if you haven't already.

Many say it is right in that 280 ai vicinity

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.