Future of 7MM Calibers of Interest

One things for sure anything based off time tested 30/06 isn't going anywhere in our lifetimes and is a good bet. I think the saum cartridge for whatever reason has gotten a raw deal from most shooters. Anyone who shoots any of the saum's is always impressed with their accuracy. 7 saum sounds perfect but only if you get your hands on a few hundred casings, I bought a model 7 stainless in .300 and 300 casings..still have all of them and still using the original 40 I started with.

Looking at your sport list I can't help but mention 7 saum. That is what I settled on. Worth a look if you haven't already.

Many say it is right in that 280 ai vicinity

Thank you for the suggestion. I hadn't considered the & SAUM, but I'll look into it a bit . . . again thanks,

Rachel

One things for sure anything based off time tested 30/06 isn't going anywhere in our lifetimes and is a good bet. I think the saum cartridge for whatever reason has gotten a raw deal from most shooters. Anyone who shoots any of the saum's is always impressed with their accuracy. 7 saum sounds perfect but only if you get your hands on a few hundred casings, I bought a model 7 stainless in .300 and 300 casings..still have all of them and still using the original 40 I started with.

She doesn't reload.

Agreed. For what it is worth I had no problems getting brass from midway

She doesn't reload.

Thank you for the suggestion. I hadn't considered the & SAUM, but I'll look into it a bit . . . again thanks,

Rachel

The 7mmSAUM, much like the 7mm WSM, is an excellent chambering and seems to be popular with the benchrest shooters. However, good luck finding off-the-shelf ammo for it.

I can appreciate your dilemma as you mentioned an attachment to the 280AI. For whatever reason I've had an affinity for the 7mm Rem mag for 30+ years, but thankfully it is a massively popular chambering.

However, regardless of the rationale for that affinity, my 'on-game' experience over the years has served as solid, conclusive support for my preference.

Maybe handloading could be in your future? It sure would open up a lot of possibilities - and an enormous hole in your pocket!:D

I bought a Tikka '06 a couple of years ago, putting off venturing into to 7mm land, and I am satisfied with its performance based on shooting range and hunting experiences out to 350 yards with HSM 168g VLDs - I'm pretty sure I could stretch to 500 yds with a little more practice behind the weapon, something that interests me just because. All in all, the '06 seems like a fine cartridge to me. But as with many things in life, if its working OK why not mess with it and see what happens . . . or some variation thereof. :D

I've always thought I'd like to have a 7mm of some kind and the three that have the most appeal to me are the 280 AI, 7WSM and the 7mm Rem mag. There are other great 7mm platform calibers out there but that's my shortlist.

Since I'm now definitely in the elder's group, I'm either going to have scratch this itch soon or show a little grace in the matter and be a little less "out there" - not a particularly attractive alternative, for I'm definitely one of those going quietly types wherever people think they are going while they are still here! :rolleyes:

So friends, in the next 5-8+ years or so is there any reason to eliminate on of these fine calibers based on whatever reason you may want to offer, and thank you all for even reading this much considering to reply.

Rachel

P.S. I kinda lean towards the 280 AI, 7mm RM and 7WSM in that order, but that's just me and it5's not cast in stone. I don't hand load but would definitely want ammo developed around 168g VLD or ABLR with the custom build and then have the cartridge custom loaded a few hundred rounds at a time.

What you might want to consider rifle from Jarrett Rifles - The World's Most Accurate Hunting Rifles - Jackson, SC he custom load ammo for it.

If you are still undecided, As I said earlier the 280 Rem would be the simple choice to re barrel a 30/06 to a 7mm caliber.

There plenty of ammo for it and brass is available. it is a straight forward build with no changes to the action rails, mag box or bolt face. just re barrel and you are good to go.

The 7 rem mag is still a good choice but would require extensive action and bolt work. If you do get into reloading the 280 AI would still fit the action and performance is on par with the 7 Rem Mag.

The 280 rem case and the 270 Winchester brass is the same length and 270 brass can be used for the 280 in a pinch just by necking it up to 7mm (.277 to .284).

There are plenty of good choices, but the 280 would be the least expensive change from the 30/06
and performance is better with less recoil.

Just my opinion based on your needs.

J E CUSTOM

JE Custom is a wise man and it's apparent he's been around and it's not his first rodeo !!! The .280 R is a fine round capable of doing anything you ask it too with the appropriate bullet. So why drive youself nuts for a hundred or two fps. Also since your not doing bolt face work and extractor issues and everything else that goes along with change a lot less expensive. I feel bad seeing on this site and others fellow shooters looking and dammmm near begging for certain types of brass, some having been looking for years..why drive yourself nuts !

Wow:

Another bevy of great comments. Again, I really appreciate the input and the interest shown to a fellow member as she considers her fate in the world of the 7's.

I've read some now on the 7mm SAUM. It seems like a well conceived cartridge that makes a lot sense, but one that ran into several other good offerings and just never gained a firm foothold in the marketplace. It's a bit of shame but like a lot things the marketplace is heartless and fickle.

I do wish I had the space for hand loading; it would make for good enjoyment and open up my options (and pocket book) in my shooting pursuits. Going the custom ammo route is the next best alternative fro me.

Take care all you fine Long Rangers, gun)

Rachel

Wow:

Another bevy of great comments. Again, I really appreciate the input and the interest shown to a fellow member as she considers her fate in the world of the 7's.

I've read some now on the 7mm SAUM. It seems like a well conceived cartridge that makes a lot sense, but one that ran into several other good offerings and just never gained a firm foothold in the marketplace. It's a bit of shame but like a lot things the marketplace is heartless and fickle.

I do wish I had the space for hand loading; it would make for good enjoyment and open up my options (and pocket book) in my shooting pursuits. Going the custom ammo route is the next best alternative fro me.

Take care all you fine Long Rangers, gun)

Rachel
Rachel there are a number of people out there who will take your rifle (send it to them) work up loads and then load up as much ammo as you want with the bullets of your choice etc. It isn't an inexpensive way to go but if the budget is not a major consideration it's certainly a good option.

Even with that though my recommendation is to stick to calibers that you can count on finding factory ammo for. Nothing ruins "The Trip of a Lifetime" like getting to your destination and finding out that somewhere along the way you got separated from your custom ammo!

This has happened to quite a few people over the years, some my customers, so it's always a major consideration for me.

Dear Wild Rose: Thank you for posting to the conversation. The ammo availability matter is why I went with an '06 a few years ago, that and it seemed the best all round rifle for the money w/o getting into the custom rifle thing as I am considering now. That probably means a 7mm Rem Mag or the 280 Rem, both great and reliable hunting cartridges.

Thanks for your input and happy shooting,

Rachel

Dear Wild Rose: Thank you for posting to the conversation. The ammo availability matter is why I went with an '06 a few years ago, that and it seemed the best all round rifle for the money w/o getting into the custom rifle thing as I am considering now. That probably means a 7mm Rem Mag or the 280 Rem, both great and reliable hunting cartridges.

Thanks for your input and happy shooting,

Rachel
That's what we all come here for. Personally I think this site is the best overall source of information relating to this sport on the net.

The wealth of quality people with real experience here is utterly amazing. I have been doing this for over 3 decades and I can learn something new with every visit.

Best of luck with your project.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.