Fur friendly solids.... Does anyone still sell them?

HNDLDR

I have a 25-06 and a 7mm-08 that are my only two options for varmint rifles right now. The 06 shoots the 87 GR Speer TNTs like crazy but I don't think they are going to leave enough critter left to skin. Is there anyone making a pointed solid/FMJ nonexpanding bullet for a reasonable price in .257 or 7mm? I'm Not too worried about coyotes but I'm thinking of going after bobcats and I'm not really interested in turning them inside out.

I have had great results for skinning coyotes using the Sierra 100 MatchKing. Probably be a little rough on cats. I just bought a 222 Remington & have just worked up a very accurate load. Got it just for cat calling. Going out tomorrow to give it a try with a handfull of calls!
The 102's out of a 25-06 may pencil through on a cat with a good broadside shot.
Good luck & keep us posted!
Thanks, Kirk

I could go with a light load but the country is quite open out here in the Utah desert and the coyotes have been hunted hard. Sometimes the best you can expect is that they come and hole up 300 to 500 yards out. I guess I was looking for a do it all bullet. Maybe that's asking too much. I've never called in a bobcat and maybe never will. It's just something I'd like to try. I have seen their tracks on several occasions so I know they are here it's just a matter of whether I can convince them I'm worth checking out. If I did manage to call in a cat it would be a huge accomplishment for me and I would be very upset if I demolished the hide.

Sorry HNDLDR, I meant Sierra 120's. By the way, where are you from in Utah? I am from Utah. Grew up in Paradise up near Logan. Been in Idaho for 13 years & love it!
Call me when you have a minute & we will talk 257 bullets. You won't meet many people who have killed the amount & variety of game that I have with a 25-06.
Thanks, Kirk
208-716-2432

I was born here in Vernal. Lived here til I was 10. I'm back in Vernal after being gone for 21 years or so. I fell in love with the 25-06 at age 13 in Montana. It seemed to drop deer instantly better than any other rounds I've witnessed. I have a Ruger #1 that started as a 25-06. It's since been a 257 Arnold Mag and it's currently a 257 WSM. As you can see I'm a 25 caliber fan. I'm on nights currently out in the oil field but I will definately try and give you a call.

I have 2 other friends in the oil fields in that area. Look forward to chatting with you. Have a question about your 25 Arnold. I am heading out to do some calling today with a new 222 Remington.
Thanks, Kirk

to answer your question, barnes does make the "Banded solids" in 90 grain 0.257" and 140 grain 0.284"

Now debate will rage over whether these are appropriate bullets for animals. The only true answer is that any animal with a hole in its vital organs that wasn't there when it was born can't expect to live too long.

my apologies I didn't realized the BATF was investigating those.

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something the BATF made Barnes cease production because they were determined to be armor piercing. Barnes has been trying to get a petition to release them from the list since 2011???? Is this old outdated news?

Not sure you will be able to find a fur friendly bullet for the 25-06 , maybe heavy hard bullet located down. And for the price cat skins are going for out there , I wouldn't shoot them with anything but one of the smaller 22 centerfires

I have had a Remington sendero in 25-06 since 1994. Have shot several coyote with it over the years as it was the smallest center fire caliber I had until 2002. I used many factory loaded rounds from 90gr power points to 122gr remember extended range ammo. At closer range depending on where I hit the dog it would either leave a large exit or quarter sized. When I got back into reloading I tried some 75gr Sierra varminter bullets and they were pretty hard on fur also if shooting smaller coyote or if broadside and hitting ribs. Those shots were under 200yds or so. At longer distance they were not so violent. If I had a straight on shot I never had the 75gr exit. It would destroy the insides like crazy though. Sounded like you were shaking a plastic bag full of water.
One year I tried my target load with the 100gr match kings and had mixed results. At closer range they would anchor dogs. I had a few run several hundred yds when hit at longer ranges. Don't think they expanded much if any. That's when I would aim for shoulders when taking longer shots. If I broke bone I wouldn't see as many run.

With all this said I don't think the 75gr will be worth a darn out to the 1000 yds you were asking about. The 100gr would do it but I'm sure it would only pencil through at that distance. I have only shot steel and paper at that range so I couldn't say on live targets. Furthest I have taken a coyote with my 25-06 was 500yds and was with a factory 122gr Remington extended range Cartridge. Was deer hunting and we didn't see anything other than the one coyote looking for a meal. Lucky shot for me.

With all this said I don't think the 75gr will be worth a darn out to the 1000 yds you were asking about.

Thank you for your input. You may be a little confused on my original post. I have no intentions of shooting coyotes at a 1000 yds. What I'm getting out of all this is my best bet is a thougher expanding bullet that will enter and exit without doing huge amounts of damage and in the end I may still get mixed results. The lighter explosively fragmenting bullets can not be relied on to stay in a yote broadside and will do extensive damage to pelts but they do well with frontal shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.