Frankford Arsenal co-ax press

Why would a company deviate from the typically lock rings that work in any and every other press made? I will not use proprietary "rings". I have and use multiple presses.
I was under the influence, before your post, that the Forster also used a proprietary plate or block that slid into them just like the Frankford but less bulky. After some research I see that is not correct. However, as I am just getting back into reloading so rather than spend $700 on a Forster if I can even find a place it isn't sold out, I could spend 70% less on a Frankford press and buy (b)lock rings for my 4 sets of dies and still be money ahead.

I guess the next question would be, is the Frankford press worth buying or is a Rock Chucker supreme or something similar a better option? I'm running the Lee Precision press that came in the 50th Anniversary kit and I'm in the process of upgrading about everything now that I have a bench again.

I was under the influence, before your post, that the Forster also used a proprietary plate or block that slid into them just like the Frankford but less bulky. After some research I see that is not correct. However, as I am just getting back into reloading so rather than spend $700 on a Forster if I can even find a place it isn't sold out, I could spend 70% less on a Frankford press and buy (b)lock rings for my 4 sets of dies and still be money ahead.

I guess the next question would be, is the Frankford press worth buying or is a Rock Chucker supreme or something similar a better option? I'm running the Lee Precision press that came in the 50th Anniversary kit and I'm in the process of upgrading about everything now that I have a bench again.
Following

I have the Rock Chucker Supreme and it has been a great press! It doesn't seem like you could go wrong with either option. Here is a good link that gives the rundown on 14 different reloading presses. I find this guy does a pretty thorough job of evaluating the presses.

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04/08/fourteen-reloading-presses-compared-single-stage-shootout/

Why would you spend $700 for a Co-Ax press when you could buy one from MidwayUSA for $340? They do show in stock now. The FA press is very close in design to the Co-Ax but I would want it to be in the reloader's hands for a few years and be thoroughly vetted before I bought one. I just don't see the need for adding a die block (additional $5 per die) when Forester allows you to use a die without a block. Just having 5 pistol die sets will set you back $75. That's $75 you could have used for bullets, powder, etc.

Also, is the threaded hole in the block accurately drilled and threaded? If not, this would introduce another area for inaccurate die alignment.

Yeah, co ax ain't-a gonna go for 7hundo anywhere I've seen. I was right around 300 on mine recently from optics planet with a discount code a member here turned me on to.the Forster aluminum rings are mostly (Iirc) to not wear as hard on the die slot in the press. Not proprietary by any means and work with most commonly available dies and presses. I looked at the FA, but couldn't justify the price difference between it and the co ax

Why would you spend $700 for a Co-Ax press when you could buy one from MidwayUSA for $340? They do show in stock now. The FA press is very close in design to the Co-Ax but I would want it to be in the reloader's hands for a few years and be thoroughly vetted before I bought one. I just don't see the need for adding a die block (additional $5 per die) when Forester allows you to use a die without a block. Just having 5 pistol die sets will set you back $75. That's $75 you could have used for bullets, powder, etc.

Also, is the threaded hole in the block accurately drilled and threaded? If not, this would introduce another area for inaccurate die alignment.
Yeah I don't know what I saw that made me think $700. Looks like they are right around half that or a little less...That make the Co-Ax more of an option.

Last edited:
I think anyone could make rings for the FA press but again I see no point. I love the Rock Chucker for what it is but the Forster is in another league for many reasons. The most important to me is the quickness at which I can swap dies. I reload for many rifles and the seconds add up. Over the life of reloading the ~$350 is not very expensive. I wish I would have gotten mine when I first started.

Is the way the Co-Ax works with the floating die beneficial for bullet seating AND resizing? Reason I ask is when developing a load I'll hammer out 20 pieces of brass to find the load because I shoot right out my front door. It would be nice to run my FL die in my rock chucker then seat bullets with another press, the Co-Ax. Would that make sense? Or does the way the Co-Ax works be accurate enough to just slide FL and seat dies in and out through my process without having to worry about resetting them and just use one press?

Dies only need to be set once on the COAX for each chamber you are reloading for if that is what you are asking.

I think anyone could make rings for the FA press but again I see no point. I love the Rock Chucker for what it is but the Forster is in another league for many reasons. The most important to me is the quickness at which I can swap dies. I reload for many rifles and the seconds add up. Over the life of reloading the ~$350 is not very expensive. I wish I would have gotten mine when I first started.

Exactly! Amortize the cost of the press (or any piece of reloading equipment) over it's life span. The difference is very small. Now look at the benefits of this press that you will enjoy over your life span. Some things in life are just worth spending more for.

Been reloading for over 45 yrs now. Knowing what I know now I would have saved my money and bought the Co-Ax as my first press. Live and learn I guess.

So what is it about the block that breaks it for you two? It's great you stated this but please could you elaborate, some of us have no idea why this would be a deal breaker.[/QUOTE

Most certainly. I own over 20 rifles that I load for. This means I have at very least 45+ dies. I have no intention of purchasing 90 die blocks at a cost of $734.70 before tax and shipment. Where I live these blocks are $24.49 for 3. Also if you happen to have another press I believe these blocks would not work. If die blocks came with the dies, like lock rings do, then it would be a different story.

I switched from a standard Rock Chucker to a Forster press about two years ago and the thing that I have noticed the most is that my COAL are just more consistent now. I use Redding competition bushing dies so I have to purchase additional rings. Yes, I am not happy about having to purchase the additional rings but the press is designed for those rings and the clearance tolerance that they provide for the float.

I have had a Co-ax for a few years it is the best press i have used. My other press is a Rock Chucker i have 30+ years on this one , got it when i retired my RCBS Jr.
On the Co-ax i use Forster rings on all my dies ( about half my dies are Forster).I think i paid under $4 ea when i last bought a 12 pack of Forster rings. Hornady rings work ok also.
I'm sure the frankford is a fine press but the Forster will last me till the end and be handed down to my son. Also if it matters the Forster is made in Illinois and when you have a problem and call them you talk to someone at the factory that understands reloading and will help you with instruction and or new parts.
The frankford is made in china and... well you can make your choice.

I do like that the FA mounts all above the table. I too have a Forster, but would like a second press and nearly bought the FA during their 25% off Black Friday sale.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.