Frankford M-Press vs Forster co ax?

Bigeclipse

I would like to hear thoughts about these from people who have actually used both or at least has used the Frankford one. Please avoid the "Frankford's press is made in China so its crap" talk unless you have actually used it and found it to be true. Thank you!

Last edited:
Thats the great thing about forums and reviews is I do mot need to burn my hand just to see if the stove is hot.

Not to mention the coax has a very long extremely good track record for precision. Is USA made and is only $70 more for a device that lasts a few life times. In this game $70 is a drop in the bucket especially over the long hall.

I also can not see why I would chose to support another countries economy vs my own on a sure thing with decades of proven performance.

Look over on the Hide forum a few people have put hands on and were not impressed compared to a CoAx

Your criteria that one must have experience with both to comment will greatly limit your replies. I just decided on one myself but had to do so with no hands on input with either, the way it often works for me. Read what people said on their experience's with one or the other and used that 14 press evaluation floating around the web, weighed with common sense.
I would like to hear thoughts about these from people who have actually used both.

Your criteria that one must have experience with both to comment will greatly limit your replies. I just decided on one myself but had to do so with no hands on input with either, the way it often works for me. Read what people said on their experience's with one or the other and used that 14 press evaluation floating around the web, weighed with common sense.
Which did you purchase? I updated to include people who have at least used the frankford as I've read lots about the Forster.

Thats the great thing about forums and reviews is I do mot need to burn my hand just to see if the stove is hot.

Not to mention the coax has a very long extremely good track record for precision. Is USA made and is only $70 more for a device that lasts a few life times. In this game $70 is a drop in the bucket especially over the long hall.

I also can not see why I would chose to support another countries economy vs my own on a sure thing with decades of proven performance.

Look over on the Hide forum a few people have put hands on and were not impressed compared to a CoAx
This is really not helpful as I've read lots of complaints on the Forster and lots of pluses on the frankford but there are also not nearly as many comments on the frankford compared to the Forster. Yes the Forster is tried and true so I wanted to hear both sides. I honestly like the features of the frankford better. I wasn't looking at it because of price. Lastly there is a 14 press shoot out where the frankford did surprisingly well but that was just one users opinion.

The Frankford press may be OK mechanically but you have to add $5 for every die that you use for those die blocks. Not so with the Forster. Over time that adds up. I only have about 50 dies but that would cost additional $250 for the privilege of using the Frankford press.

Adding the unnecessary (IMO) die block introduces the possibility of another die alignment issue.

Which did you purchase? I updated to include people who have at least used the frankford as I've read lots about the Forster.
Hmmmmm, guess I'm still eliminated from the discussion. Forster just seems the smarter way to go, I'd give the Frankford a while to get rid of any bugs or problems that might arise with beta testing by customers. It did do well in the press evaluation, and the light is very cool :) For the record I've never seen a more complete backed by numbers comparison on presses ever. I also got an RCBS summit so I have two new presses to work with. Can't loose with the Forster, you can sell it when they are unavailable to buy. Spent this morning setting up and going over the summit, I see why it did so well in the comparison. There went the money for my new barrel :( Dave

This is really not helpful as I've read lots of complaints on the Forster and lots of pluses on the frankford but there are also not nearly as many comments on the frankford compared to the Forster. Yes the Forster is tried and true so I wanted to hear both sides. I honestly like the features of the frankford better. I wasn't looking at it because of price. Lastly there is a 14 press shoot out where the frankford did surprisingly well but that was just one users opinion.
So what you REALLY want are people to tell you the franlin is a great machine or give positives.

Not sure how not helpful it is when I told you there is a few threads over on the hide where people have them in hand and have commented. I guess I could have done the search for you. Copy and pasted the links or even all the quoted all the posts.

The real question for something that lasts more than a life time is the price difference of $70 worth getting a unproven machine made in china that others have had to modify before they could even use it vs a made in USA long standing company with a very good rep and makes some of the straightest ammo from a production die press.
This info is in those threads I pointed you to. BTW it was not all bad. Plenty of good points just it had issues and was not as good as the coax.

So sorry non of this info is helpful for what you are looking for in responses.

Last edited:
So what you REALLY want are people to tell you the franlin is a great machine or give positives.

Not sure how not helpful it is when I told you there is a few threads over on the hide where people have them in hand and have commented. I guess I could have done the search for you. Copy and pasted the links or even all the quoted all the posts.

The real question for something that lasts more than a life time is the price difference of $70 worth getting a unproven machine made in china that others have had to modify before they could even use it vs a made in USA long standing company with a very good rep and makes some of the straightest ammo from a production die press.
This info is in those threads I pointed you to. BTW it was not all bad. Plenty of good points just it had issues and was not as good as the coax.

So sorry non of this info is helpful for what you are looking for in responses.
Actually no. That is not what I want. There have been very few reviews of the frankford by actual users. Most people's issue is it's Chinese made. I'm looking for real world experience.

Actually no. That is not what I want. There have been very few reviews of the frankford by actual users. Most people's issue is it's Chinese made. I'm looking for real world experience.

Ok so reviews from people that have actually bought own and have used the press and mention nothing about made in china as the issue are not what your looking for?? Or did you not actually read thru the threads on the hide.

Posts such as these few as examples:

As you can see all is not bad but its a bit rough and as expected there are a few qc issues.

Since they were already up in google here's some others from other sites

Maybe hit this guy up in link below as he seems to have one plus a few other presses and is open to answering questions about his use which seems positive. In case it does not link to the post its #19

If these somehow are not helpful then Im not sure what comments would be if you are not just looking for cheerleading which I would not think to be the case.

As for electronics Samsung last I checked had closed all its China plants. So its fairly easy to have electronics not made in china these days as Samsung is not exactly small. But that does not mean better necessarily.

I do agree China should not equal cheap crap. Its simply no longer the case but its mostly in specific areas. But its built that cheap product rep over 30+yrs its going to take a long time to over come but its well on its way as long as we do not look to its food manf.

They are good at electronics no doubt but mechanical manf products has always been a budget run industry there. Interestingly much of China raw materials to make plastics and polymers cones from the USA. I have a number of family members in that industry that have made numerous trips to over see product use etc. Texas port of Houston and Galveston area is a major hub of manf and export in this area.

Why not just order the press from a vendor with money back satisfaction policy and try it for yourself. No risk that way.

when I have a choice, I am willing to pay at least double to buy an American made product over Chinese.

buy your copycat press and be happy.
Ok so reviews from people that have actually bought own and have used the press and mention nothing about made in china as the issue are not what your looking for?? Or did you not actually read thru the threads on the hide.

Posts such as these few as examples:

As you can see all is not bad but its a bit rough and as expected there are a few qc issues.

Since they were already up in google here's some others from other sites

Maybe hit this guy up in link below as he seems to have one plus a few other presses and is open to answering questions about his use which seems positive. In case it does not link to the post its #19

If these somehow are not helpful then Im not sure what comments would be if you are not just looking for cheerleading which I would not think to be the case.

As for electronics Samsung last I checked had closed all its China plants. So its fairly easy to have electronics not made in china these days as Samsung is not exactly small. But that does not mean better necessarily.

I do agree China should not equal cheap crap. Its simply no longer the case but its mostly in specific areas. But its built that cheap product rep over 30+yrs its going to take a long time to over come but its well on its way as long as we do not look to its food manf.

They are good at electronics no doubt but mechanical manf products has always been a budget run industry there. Interestingly much of China raw materials to make plastics and polymers cones from the USA. I have a number of family members in that industry that have made numerous trips to over see product use etc. Texas port of Houston and Galveston area is a major hub of manf and export in this area.

Why not just order the press from a vendor with money back satisfaction policy and try it for yourself. No risk that way.
Thanks!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.