Forster Co-ax Press Pricing Question

wild_musk

I'm looking at purchasing a Forster co-ax reloading press. Sinclair and Midway both price out in the $250-270 range, but the price lists on Forster for $405. Sinclair (Brownells) couldn't tell me what the difference was today (Sat), and suggested I call Monday and ask a tech. I wanna know now, rather than have it bug me all weekend. Anybody know if there is a difference in the presses? They seem to be the exact same thing, same model, everything...

I'm looking at purchasing a Forster co-ax reloading press. Sinclair and Midway both price out in the $250-270 range, but the price lists on Forster for $405. Sinclair (Brownells) couldn't tell me what the difference was today (Sat), and suggested I call Monday and ask a tech. I wanna know now, rather than have it bug me all weekend. Anybody know if there is a difference in the presses? They seem to be the exact same thing, same model, everything...

last time I looked Midway has the best price on them at around $240. There is no difference in them, and the only options are in the handles and shell holders (jaws). If your doing the 22 hornet or the 45-70 you'll want to order the extra jaws. Some guys like using the Forster lock rings, I use the steel Lymans. They are cheaper and seem to float in the slot a little better for me, and I hate the sloted screws.
gary

I got mine from Cabelas about a year ago for around $280.

It was complete and gets the job done.

I've seen comments about the handle not clearing competition micrometer seater dies on some of the older ones. Mine doesn't have any issues.

I do prefer standard shell holders. So, I purchased the Forster adapter.

-- richard

I got mine from Cabelas about a year ago for around $280.

It was complete and gets the job done.

I've seen comments about the handle not clearing competition micrometer seater dies on some of the older ones. Mine doesn't have any issues.

I do prefer standard shell holders. So, I purchased the Forster adapter.

-- richard

Do you happen to know somebody that works in a machine shop? If you do, have them grind about .0025" - .0035" off the flat suface of the jaws. Makes them a little looser. I found that doing this helped the case float even better. I use the shell holder adapter for priming (you have to look around for the Forster / Bananza shell holders). My press is so old that it was amonst the first to use the sliding jaws and still used the old style primeing device. You see those shell holders on Ebay all the time, but you can simply take a regular shell holder and run a Hi-Roc drill thru them for about .005" clearence on the ram used to prime. Lee shell holders seem to be harder, and don't drill as well. RCBS seem to be softer if that matters. But the Hi-roc drill will get it done very accurately.
gary

Thanks for all the replies!

Gary, good info. I can do those mods myself, but I'll try loading a few as is first. I'm using a hand primer for most things, but I'll keep that in mind as well. Someone on the 6BR site mentioned going with steel lock rings also, but I don't think it was Lyman - but that's the second time I've heard that.

I was also worried about some of my dies clearing the handle, so thanks to whoever said its not an issue. I guess I could modify that also, but better if I don't need to.

V/r, Coty

BTW, for those guys who mentioned liking regular shell holders, is that a personal preference, or some more utilitarian reason?

Personal preference on my part. ...perhaps all in my head.

I never have to flip the jaws around to accomodate varying cartridges and the shell holders swap out quickly.

When using collet dies, I feel like the shell holders give a more uniform compression as the jaws seem to flex if used with collet dies.

I also feel like the base of the cartridge centers under the die more freely using shell holders. But, Gary's mod probably alleviates that if there's any truth to it at all.

If the jaws seem awkward, you might try the mod that Gary described.
Or, order the Forster adapter and give it a try.

The main down side I can see is that the dies sit just that much higher in the press. But, even the redding and rcbs micrometer dies still clear the handle.

The primer seater is hands down the best I've ever used for consistency.

-- richard

BTW, for those guys who mentioned liking regular shell holders, is that a personal preference, or some more utilitarian reason?

with the solid shell holder you have a pocket to drop the new primer in, I always felt uncomfortable with the sliding jaws and putting the primer in place. But I also know guys that use that system everyday.

As for the jaws; I rarely flip them! I use the same setting for a 22-250 that I use for a .223! I even do my 44 and 45 revolver rounds on that setting. The only thing the jaws do is to help pull the loaded round out of the die body.
gary

Personal preference on my part. ...perhaps all in my head.

I never have to flip the jaws around to accomodate varying cartridges and the shell holders swap out quickly.

When using collet dies, I feel like the shell holders give a more uniform compression as the jaws seem to flex if used with collet dies.

I also feel like the base of the cartridge centers under the die more freely using shell holders. But, Gary's mod probably alleviates that if there's any truth to it at all.

If the jaws seem awkward, you might try the mod that Gary described.
Or, order the Forster adapter and give it a try.

The main down side I can see is that the dies sit just that much higher in the press. But, even the redding and rcbs micrometer dies still clear the handle.

The primer seater is hands down the best I've ever used for consistency.

-- richard

I made the jaws thinner to help them create a tiny bit more float to help the case self align itself better in the sizing operation. Did it help a lot? I doubt it, but things do seem a bit more consistent. I never have to run my case thru the die but once, and usually see loaded ammo in the less than .002" range all the time (TIR). That means the bullets are seated within .001" of being strait and on center.
glt

[..]
[...]

I didn't mean to imply that Gary's solution might be in question.

Rather, I was alluding to whether or not my concern about the base of the cartridge aligning nicely.

It seems that either solution produces very straight cartridges. With low TIR.

-- richard

Thanks again guys. I'm curious to see how the jaws work. I ordered the press Sun night, but it's back ordered. Hopefully wont be long. Thanks, Coty.

I didn't mean to imply that Gary's solution might be in question.

Rather, I was alluding to whether or not my concern about the base of the cartridge aligning nicely.

It seems that either solution produces very straight cartridges. With low TIR.

-- richard

what I posted was nothing but my own personal method of getting it done. I also took into mind what you are doing as well. One needs to always approach this with an open mind. I often get loaded ammo with less than .0012" of runout, but just can't do it everytime. The best I've done was in the .0005", and the worst was about .0027". The press is very square, and very tight, but still figure it has about a thousandth built into it. I did check it once with a cylinder square I built that had about .00025" error in it, and I saw less than .0004" without a load on the ram. (checked on three sides, but should have checked all four I know). Still one has to remember that if the ram moves up and down; there has to be some clearence in it, and under a load it will shift one way or another.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.