Forster Co Ax Press Stupid Question

LDHunter

I recently replaced my old dinosaur press with a Forster Co Ax press and can't figure out why I was so stupid in not doing this YEARS ago when most of the experts swore it's the best press ever made hands down. Oh well... Stubbornness sometimes prevents doing the right thing... LOL

So my stupid question is this... Can I use my Lee Collet Neck Sizing dies with this press? Also how about a FL sizing die like my RCBS one for my 7mmSAUM?

It seems like the jaws that hold the shell which is Forster's own version of the old style shell holder look a bit flimsy to be cranking down the pressure on them to activate the collet on the Lee Collet die or when the RCBS FL sizing die bottoms out assuring me that my shoulder was set back far enough for my rounds to chamber in my two rebarreled 7SAUM rifles.

Anyone here using the Forster Co Ax that can help me out here? I suspect it's a stupid question and that I should have just gone ahead and used it for this but I'd hate to mess up my press and have to wait for replacement parts.

yes you can use the rcbs and the collet dies although you might want to change the lock ring to a forester. And for the why did it take you so long to get a coax if like around here you would have a better chance of getting teeth out of a hen. A few years ago I was at an estate auction and it was advertised to have a large selection of man cave items. One of those items was a coax and the bidding went NUTS, it sold for over $700.00. I went home empty handed

I believe you can also purchase an adaptor to fit the press that allows you to use regular shell holders. This would definitely solve any problem when using collet dies.

the first incarnation of the Co-Ax came with conventional shell holders that had a larger hole thru the middle. This was done to fit their priming device. The second generation was the same press, but with the sliding jaws (known as a "B2"). The third generation uses a different jaw setup for the priming device. I still use the B2 style, and wouldn't change it.
gary

OK... So just to be clear... It's OK to bottom out a die on the B2 style jaws that self retract when the handle is raised to remove the cartridge?

My chambers on both of my 7mmSAUM rifles is tight and my die needs to run all the way down to touch the top of the shell holder in order to bump the shoulder back enough to get the brass to chamber.

Also has anyone here actually used the Lee Neck Collet die with a Forster B2 Coax press?

Bob

yes I have used the lee collet die (7rm). Change lock ring to either rcbs or forster raise the jaws and insert die, screw it down until it touches the jaws, lower jaws and screw down the die 1/2 turn now try it out then check for the neck tension that you want after that you may need to lower the die 1/4 turn at a time to get what you want

The jaws retract, so there is no pressure on them when you push down. They clamp the case to remove only. When sizing or applying pressure, the base of the case is sitting on the metal base of the press.

I bought a RCBS rockchucker kit and started handloading in 1999.

I used that press for years before I bought a couple co-ax presses.

I felt stupid for waiting so long.

By 2011, I was designing and making improved parts for the co-ax. Another poster here on LRH had the same ideas 10 years earlier.

Attachments

• Shell holder jaw housing Bonanza, Forster, and Clark  2-24-2011.jpg
    Shell holder jaw housing Bonanza, Forster, and Clark 2-24-2011.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 184
Now I get it... I somehow didn't realize that the cartridge case was sitting on the metal plate and was focusing on pressure on the jaws instead... LOL

Thanks guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.