Frankford Arsenal co-ax press

FA die blocks don't store in die boxes, so do you un-screw the dies at every change. Quick changing dies is why I HAVE Co-Ax press. No Thanks,I will buy Forester .
They actually do come with a case to store the dies in. Every set you buy has a storage box. Doesn't really matter for me as I'm not buying. I'm actually going to order the RCBS Summit as well to go along with my New Rock Chucker and Inline Fab gear. I will set up 2 stations. Found the summit on sale for $199.

Alright, I take some issue with some posts here about FA copying Forster. Yes it's similar but it's not an exact copy but if FA copied Forster then where is all the hate for every company coping the O or C style presses that every other company uses. Someone has to have the original patent and everyone else is copying but the process of this "copying" has made presses the amazing pieces of equipment that they are. Taking a design and improving on it is what all industries have done for literally thousands of years and its a GOOD thing.

I'm glad someone tried to make a press similar to Forster because Forster has the superior press on the market currently. That being true, why wouldn't you try to use what's made them so successful while also trying to improve upon it. Why would any company commission R&D dollars to make a style of press (i.e. traditional style press) that right off the bat is inferior to something already on the market (i.e. the Forster) but would also have to compete with multiple well established presses that are functionally identical? It only makes sense to try attempt to make the better style of press (i.e. the Forster). People act as though it's sacrilegious to try and use the same system that Forster uses. Personally, I hope the Forster style press become something that more companies like RCBS, Lee's, Lyman, etc pursue because it will make the equipment we as a reloading community have access to as a whole better. How is that a bad thing?

I don't think the the FA press is better than the Forster, I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is this is a good thing that a company tried to make their version of the Forster (with improvements to boot) because it only helps to improve on our access to better reloading equipment in the future. Even though the Forster is on a pedestal, it's not perfect and it could very well be improved on. Forester tried and with the exception of the integrated light, they did fail to make a better press but they tried at least. With that said, even though the FA is not as good as the the Forster, I don't believe is deserves all the disdain that it's currently receiving. Despite it's few downfalls, it's probably a better press than most (notice i said most, not all) traditional style presses on the market.

If your only argument against it is that it's a copy and it's made in China, your arguing something that's subjective and doesn't say anything about how well it functions. I wouldn't care what country it came from if it was best press on the market. The real objective argument against it would be if it's turning out bad reloads and from the sparse reviews I've seen thus far, the run-out on these reloads is actually pretty good and consistent. The FA has some major flaw of those bulky die blocks but if you look past that is it really THAT bad of a press? If they bother you that much, buy the Hornady LNL bushing adapter and use a single block and all LNL bushing on all of your dies. Seems like an easy solution to me. I'll get off my soap box now

Enjoy whatever you choose to use, that's what makes freedom of choice so sweet :) Remember freedom of opinion is also a good thing :)

It's one thing to try and improve on a design to make a product that is better in quality, cost or features but to me that FA seems to be made like that only to compete with a $350 press instead of a $130 press.

I don't believe it is superior to a good "O" style press.

It's like Chinese digital calipers, I avoid the ones that look like Mitutoyo copies because their engineering budget was put in to trying to look like a quality caliper instead of making a quality caliper.

Full disclosure, I dont believe the RCBS Summit is worth the price premium over an "O" style press. If it was within $20 my opinion might change. Also I think the Co-Ax is a poor value comparatively. I'm sure it is great but I've never heard anyone say it is better than arbor press style reloading so I'm going to stick with my inexpensive "O" style press and work on technique. If that fails me, I'm getting an arbor press and new dies.

It's a copy but they missed one of the most important details. With the die holder riding on the shafts, any wear of those shafts, casting or bushing leads to tilt of the die holder.

On the Co-Ax, the shafts move through the base and at that location, a few 0.001" wear will have very little effect on the die alignment.
This is a legitimate argument/concern against the M-Press and something I've never noticed.

does your Summit have 2 black Allen screws at the base or 3?
I guess you mean the screws to hold the primer catcher on at the bottom? I don't use it to deprime so there are no screws or primer catcher at the bottom. If you mean further up the base there are four much larger ones. Than theres two on the linkage. Why do you ask?

I guess you mean the screws to hold the primer catcher on at the bottom? I don't use it to deprime so there are no screws or primer catcher at the bottom. If you mean further up the base there are four much larger ones. Than theres two on the linkage. Why do you ask?
No, the large Allen screws on the backside bottom of the press. It appears in some pictures to have 2 large screws on the bottom back and in other pictures there are 3. Appears there may be 2 variants?
Well me being as I am I decided to get a Summit also. So that being said with both the Rock Chucker Supreme and the Summit I should be good to go. I've always had great customer service from RCBS and they were great today when I called them and asked a ton of questions. Got both for 285 out of my pocket as I had a credit memo from a place I do business with.

87472913-5F7C-4BB3-B71E-6332B12F36BD.png
3216BCAD-D0EA-45E0-B96C-3104EEDD38CE.png

Last edited:
Don't know buddy, in that case mine has two on each side. I have the summit and a rockchucker also, you might want a shorter handle they make, have to see when you get it. Enjoy it and message me if you ever have any questions, its pretty simple though. Learning to set dies from the feel rather than so many turns off the shellholder is unique I guess. I find it simpler and faster myself.

Don't know buddy, in that case mine has two on each side. I have the summit and a rockchucker also, you might want a shorter handle they make, have to see when you get it. Enjoy it and message me if you ever have any questions, its pretty simple though. Learning to set dies from the feel rather than so many turns off the shellholder is unique I guess. I find it simpler and faster myself.

YouTube has some good videos using the summit. Thanks brother!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.