For those who NEVER clean their bore, or almost never

I haven't noticed an accuracy change by not cleaning. With caveats obviously. I've never had a rifles ruiner. I HAVE had rifles be worn faster due to chemical errosion however.

I pretty much just use a carbon cleaner around 250 rounds and leave copper until velocity gets weird. However if the rifle maintains precision and MV is in a good plateau I leave the rifle as is unless theirs a reason to clean. Ie rain, or moondust

I haven't noticed an accuracy change by not cleaning. With caveats obviously. I've never had a rifles ruiner. I HAVE had rifles be worn faster due to chemical errosion however.

I pretty much just use a carbon cleaner around 250 rounds and leave copper until velocity gets weird. However if the rifle maintains precision and MV is in a good plateau I leave the rifle as is unless theirs a reason to clean. Ie rain, or moondust

Chemical erosion as well n the chemical you're cleaning with? Or pitting and rust?

My comp gun barrels go a whole day(s) match without cleaning, this may be a weekend of 200 rounds or more.
I only clean with a mild carbon cleaner until accuracy starts to wain, then clean copper.
I clean the chamber often with a bore mop and carbon cleaner followed by a hydrocarbon based solvent, when using copper cleaners I follow with metho to dissolve any left in the bore then lightly oil.
I have seen barrels ruined by over cleaning.

I also don't see an advantage to having a squeaky clean barrel all the time, it simply isn't necessary for accuracy. If I have a barrel that won't shoot to POA wth a clean barrel, and only with a foiled barrel, I normally send them down the road. Even a hunting rifle that 'walks' bullets is not staying in my gun safe.

Cheers.

My comp gun barrels go a whole day(s) match without cleaning, this may be a weekend of 200 rounds or more.
I only clean with a mild carbon cleaner until accuracy starts to wain, then clean copper.
I clean the chamber often with a bore mop and carbon cleaner followed by a hydrocarbon based solvent, when using copper cleaners I follow with metho to dissolve any left in the bore then lightly oil.
I have seen barrels ruined by over cleaning.

I also don't see an advantage to having a squeaky clean barrel all the time, it simply isn't necessary for accuracy. If I have a barrel that won't shoot to POA wth a clean barrel, and only with a foiled barrel, I normally send them down the road. Even a hunting rifle that 'walks' bullets is not staying in my gun safe.

Cheers.

What kind of carbon cleaner do you use? And you mean you only clean carbon every 200 rounds or so or between matches? I've been using either hoppes 9 or CRC sp350 for the chamber, but I doubt either of those really clean carbon very well. Can't find any boretech c4 locally.

What kind of carbon cleaner do you use? And you mean you only clean carbon every 200 rounds or so or between matches? I've been using either hoppes 9 or CRC sp350 for the chamber, but I doubt either of those really clean carbon very well. Can't find any boretech c4 locally.
Yes, I only clean every 200-300 rounds for carbon on my comp guns. I use an automotive carburettor cleaner on a bronze brush in the throat area attached to a drill. I then soak the bore with the carbon solvent and proceed to run patches until the carbon is almost invisible on the patch.
My comp barrels rarely copper foul to the point that it poses a problem, I only remove copper and get back to bare metal prior to scoping for throat erosion, my barrels throats lengthen about .0125" per match. At .050" they get setback and rechambered.
I use Sweets for copper, half a dozen of each wet/dry patches gets 'em clean.
The product I use is CRC Carbie Clean for carbon removal.
Hope this answers your question.

Cheers.

Yes, I only clean every 200-300 rounds for carbon on my comp guns. I use an automotive carburettor cleaner on a bronze brush in the throat area attached to a drill. I then soak the bore with the carbon solvent and proceed to run patches until the carbon is almost invisible on the patch.
My comp barrels rarely copper foul to the point that it poses a problem, I only remove copper and get back to bare metal prior to scoping for throat erosion, my barrels throats lengthen about .0125" per match. At .050" they get setback and rechambered.
I use Sweets for copper, half a dozen of each wet/dry patches gets 'em clean.
The product I use is CRC Carbie Clean for carbon removal.
Hope this answers your question.

Cheers.

Yes thanks. I've been spinning a .338 brush in the nexk area of my .30-06 chamber and occasionally hit the lands with the grooves. How do you know how far in to go without hitting the lands? Or do you just not worry about it?

You know, growing up, no one ever thought about cleaning .22LRs and we could still hit squirrels in the head in some pretty tall trees. I bet more barrels are ruined from overzealous cleaning than otherwise. One of the armorers at Sig, who is a comp shooter talked about cleaning his barrel every 5000 rounds; I realize velocities are way different, but some would clean after a 100 rounds.

I usually clean barrels of my hunting guns 1 time a year at the end of all the season. I average about 100 rds on those guns a season with sight in And practice. My range/ competition gun I clean a couple more anywhere between 200-500rds. I have some guns that accuracy seems best in a clean barrel but most it doesn't seem to change. I don't like cleaning barrels so I started this way thru laziness and found it works. I wipe the guns down and wipe out the chamber after every shooting session.

At the same time a clean barrel never hurts so if you like it that way it's not hurting you either.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.