those who have trouble with berger

I've seen two cases that I thought something was a little odd both the the 210 Berger on deer. The first one was a shot that was back not a good shot right behind the last rib, there was no evidence of the hit internally other than a couple slits through stuff hardly anything to open it and I think many other bullet may have had the same effect.
Second one was a hit at the top of the shoulder blade, blew all the meat of the shoulders and the top of the spine and you could actually see the shoulders moving. I think the bullet just had less resistance up an out instead of blowing down or through the spine.
About all we load are Bergers or VLD's of some kind. I've always found the OP's results intriguing, this year my dad and brother shot 3 mule deer and two antelope with a 6.5 Sherman, 1-8 twist three grove Pac-nor running 3150 if I remember right, shooting 140 orange box Bergers. There was absolutely no indication of early expansion, wound channel was very similar in all animals and not one bullet failed to exit with about a golf ball size hole.

I've always heard that the cut rifle barrels are cut deeper than a button will press, this would affect the bullet I would think. I also wonder if the corners on cut rifling would be sharper.
I noticed this year a few of us shot a lot of animals with the 165 Matrix which is a very similar design to the Berger using J4 jackets. The meplats are very uniform and open on these bullets and the wound channels we saw were very similar and predictable, more so than the Berger I think so I'm really being picky on what Bergers get put on game and what are used for rock banditos.

There is a thread somewhere that someone cut the new 230 OTM and the 210 and what really stuck out to me is how much lead comes up into the tip of the bullet on the 210 vs the 230, the 230 looks like it would get a more positive start on game.

RR,

This thread was way down the list when I discovered it.

It seems to me that your bullets are are the verge of dusting as they hit the deer, thus the entrance damage.

Bergers won't function at all in my 8 twist 3 groove barrel. Any velocity at all and they venture way off course or dust.

Was preping a fella for a hunt and 30 cal 168 gr, I think it was, Bergers were dusting out of a '06 Win Featherlight. Was truly surprised. Switched to 180s and two nice bulls were harvested with the rifle.

I'm suspecting your operating near the physical integrity limit of the bullet due to mechanical influences.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.