trouble with bergers

Caleb85

This was the first year I hunted with them and I am having problems! !!
Shot three deer
Deer 1...buck in front of shoulder wanted till morning to retrieve, tracked blood for over 1000 yards ( not jokeing) never found him..215 yard shot.

Deer 2...doe behind shoulder and low ..this blood trail was so weak (like it just punched a small hole in and out ..never found her..345 yard shot.

Deer 3 ...doe took a spine shot on her so would not have a repeat of above-mentioned. .dropped! ! 230 yard shot.
What's the deal?
300 win mag
210 VLD hunting (orange box)
77.8gr Retumbo.

You might need to buy a metplat uniforming tool from Montour County Rifles. Also, make sure the tips of the bullets aren't clogged with debris or that the tips aren't out of shape.

I've never had that happen to any of mine. The first one ran 15 yards with a behind the shoulder shot, second didn't ever take a step with a heart shot.

None of your shots described are good shots. The bullet isn't the problem, your shot placement is.

1) in front of shoulder--- bad shot
2) behind shoulder but low---- bad shot

Thank you....I will admit the buck was running and should have waited..the doe at 320, last time I checked, behind the shoulder and low was the hart.

Thank you....I will admit the buck was running and should have waited..the doe at 320, last time I checked, behind the shoulder and low was the hart.

Oh you mean the hEart, apparently you didn't hit it. Its always easier to blame the equipment.

If the deer was running I am wondering how you know where you hit it? I shot a bunch of running deer and I never knew exactly where they were hit till I found them dead and looked for the hole. Matt

In front of the shoulder is not a killing shot, no matter what bullet you used.

Neither shot is a bullet failure. The third shot, a spine shot, any bullet would've done the job.

Hmmm... What velocity are you running those bergers? That seems like a lot of bullet and (out of a 300wm), most likely a lot of speed for deer at the ranges you describe. My deer fell at 246 yards... 168gr at 2550 from the muzzle... And it was bang flop. Deer didn't even get to move an inch from where it stopped. .30 hole in, lung and far shoulder destroyed, with silver dollar sized exit. I couldn't be more impressed.

I'm wondering if at that range, the weight and speed of your bullet just pushed on through similar to an fmj, although I've heard that typically, the results with bergers at closer ranges is like a bomb going off and making a real mess with high speed impacts. Not sure... But confusing.

Man.... Hard to say without seeing the animals and trying to figure out what happened with bullet placement and the internal wound channel. If I was shooting deer-sized game at those distances... I'm not sure a 200+ gr bergers and 3000+ fps muzzle velocity would be what I'd be considering. Now if it was elk or moose... That would be different, but even then... That configuration is effective at many hundreds of yards beyond the range you are shooting. I'd think the 168s at 2500 would be more than sufficient.

Caleb85, In my opinion it is not your bullet choice. I have taken truck loads of game with the 210 HVLD from a 300 win. Your velocity should be from 2800 to 2900 fps and that should work good. I never tracked one animal with the 210's including many elk. You want to use heavy for caliber bullets when using Berger's. They designed to fragment and using one of their heavier offerings allows enough of the bullet to carry on after fragmenting off the front. I switched to the 215 Targets a few years ago and my 300 win now sits at 24 and zero for one shot first round kills on big game. That includes many elk.

Get a good rest and slip one right in the crease behind the front shoulder just below center of the animal. You won't be tracking him far.

None of us can say for sure what happens to game not recovered. But I do have a lot of experience with your combination on big game and feel you should give it another go.

One more thing, take a staple from a paper stapler and use it to check your hunting loads and make sure the hollow point of the bullet tip is open and not clogged. I have not had this experience , but have read of others finding a few bullets with clogged tips. I now check all mine to insure I will get expansion.

One more thing, make sure your seating die is not pushing on the tip of the bullet and closing the hollow point. Also that the die is not leaving a little dent ring around the tip where the seater plug contacts the bullet. This has been a problem in the past for others and can effect bullet performance and expansion.

Check these things and put the next bullet in the crease and let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

If you follow Jeff's advice and still are having problems, i would consider switching to the 215 hybrid. I have only shot two animals with them but both have had large exits, a buck at 135 yards had an exit hole the size of a softball and a doe at 388 yards with an exit the size of a raquette ball. MV of 2977 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.