Need some advice from those who know.

Ohlongarm

On the fence about what barrel to get in 17 hornet CZ, sporter or varmint, how much accuracy difference might there be comparing one to another.
I will use the caliber within its' limitation mostly, LOL. About 300 yards, would the difference in accuracy really be a game changer, have a line on a sporter now, varmint who knows.THX

I have had a .17 in one form or another since the early 70's. They are just like .22's or anything else as far as the difference between a sporter and a heavy barrel. As far as factory rifles go the heavy guns on average will shoot a little better. However, it is more the individual barrel than the weight. Some of my most accurate rifles have been sporters. Just depends on the individual barrel. Same with custom, but they are more consistently accurate. A heavy barrel will usually allow more shots in a string before accuracy sours. They are easier to shoot well simply because of the weight. What it really boils down to is what are you going to use it for? If you intend to carry it a lot, and shoot it a little (predators maybe?) then a sporter would most likely be better. If you intend to sit and shoot a lot (ground squirrels?) then a heavy barrel would most likely be more suitable. A straight hornet isn't the most accurate .17 cartridge in the first place.

I have had several 17 Remingtons on different actions over the years. The most accurate one is my current one, but it is a custom rifle with a lapped button rifled stainless job in a VSSF II/Sendero contour.
Of all the 17's I've had, only one is a sporter barrel, and that's my Sako L461 Deluxe. It shoots to .75MoA with 25g HP by Hornady, but it has quite a longer throat than normal.
Currently only have these 2.
Was going to build another on a Rem 700 with a 28" barrel, but shelved it due to Corona, just can't get a barrel in a reasonable time frame.
I would expect a heavy barrel to be more accurate for longer than a sporter barrel, but not necessarily in all cases, as the 17 bore leaves a lot of barrel steel around it, even in sporter size.

Cheers.