The Rifle You’ll Never Touch

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48126

I was looking over a couple of my rifles today after a hunt over the weekend. I was wiping them down and got to thinking about how many custom rifles or rifles that have some kind of modification to them that I own. Then I looked at my 2006 Remington 700 ADL in .30-06. I bought it as a birthday gift to myself when I turned 18. I thought about it, and I realized today that nothing will ever be done to that rifle. I literally love how it sits currently, with no recoil pad, awful 6lb trigger, etc. This is no exaggeration at all, but this rifle will shoot 150-180 grain Remington corelokts into .5 MOA at a hundred yards all day. I've even taken it out to 500 yards on steel with the little Nikon prostaff that sits on it. Anyway thought I would share. Please post pics and a story of a rifle you'll never touch.

005E3D99-FE7E-4975-8583-53D68381E0ED.jpeg

Most of the ones that I wouldn't modify or change, are sitting in my dad's safe at his house. My safe is full of customs or modded rifles. I guess the ONE rifle that's in my safe that is still stock (other than a trigger job) is my 2002 Sendero SF 7mm STW that I special ordered when I worked at the gun store. We told our rep we wanted to order one, but he said it was too late they had stopped production about 6 weeks prior. Somehow the owner of the gun store talked the rep into doing him a favor, who talked his buddy at Remington into doing him a favor, and he had them build one last Sendero SF in 7mm STW. It shoots sub-1/2 MOA with handloads.

Here it is...

fullsizeoutput_f07.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_f08.jpeg

Beautiful rifle!
Thanks. The only time that rifle is ever getting sent to a smith is when the barrel finally burns out. And when it does, I'll honor it by having the action fully blueprinted, and a Bartlein 5R Sendero blank identically fluted and chambered in 7mm STW screwed onto it, so it still looks and feels the exact same, but with a fresh high quality tube. My local smith does a great job, and does it quick, but for this task for a rifle that means this much to me, I'll probably send it off to one of the big name pro smiths like Chase Curtis, JE Custom, Kevin Cram, John Pierce, or Kirby.

But that barrel's still got a lot of life left in it, so it will be on down the road before that happens.

This is my A-bolt in .22 Hornet, it's the box stock and the most accurate rifle I own. Has an older Vari-X leupold on it that is a cool dark Burgundy color, with a gold target dot.

Shoots 35 gr Vmax into .25 MOA, and just about everything else at .5 MOA
mCl2lGJ.jpg

6qLJO9s.jpg

My Dad's .270 Weatherby Mag. He bought it when I was young, probably mid 80's. It has seen it's fair share of deer and hogs tip over. Still shoots in the 0.5's. I tried to figure up the barrel count based on deer/hogs killed over 30 plus years, probably around 500-600, so it still has some life!

It may get a new barrel one day, but I'll never mess with the battle scars.

This is my bone stock rem 700 in 30/06. I believe it's a 1970s model. Still shoots consistent .75" groups. My dad gave it to me when I was 14 for our first elk hunt. Since then I've took it a lot of places. I'll never modify it. It's got a VX2 scope on it that took me forever to save up enough for. As a matter of fact, I still use the rifle. That's last years deer. I shot a really nice buck with it this season, and I might be taking it to Wyoming next fall. That rifle brings back a lot of memories.

Attachments

• E473DB78-D97A-4597-B64F-088EF2AABC16.jpeg
    E473DB78-D97A-4597-B64F-088EF2AABC16.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 204
I will never touch my browning x-bolt eclipse hunter in 7mm rem mag. I've owned it I believe 4 years now. It's a hunting rifle, nothing more or less. It wears a Redfield 3-9x40. I use this rifle for northern NH white tails. And pretty much whatever else moves. It shoots very well, generally around .4-.6 depending on me that day. It's killed my 2 biggest bucks and my wife's first deer so it's got sentimental value to me now. I'll change the scope eventually But the rest will remain the same. 3 shot group below
20171027_184948.jpg
received_632120093631106.jpeg

Hum I've never bought a rifle that I haven't tweaked in some way and hope I don't. That's all part of the fun! As a matter of fact I love buying cheap rifle and making them shoot better. My favorite is my TC Venture 7 RM did all the work myself and it's a one holer now. I can see if it was a Heirloom type gun certainly not wanting to change it tho.
20170620_180718_zpswwubjmop.jpg

I can't find pictures. My Sako L579 in .243 will never be molested.

It is still "New I Box", never fired. Just loved and rubbed down once a year.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.