for the primer gurus

ARlife4me

So here I go as I have no idea as this is beyond my realm? Federal and cci I get, but win and rem I have no idea about their system? What's the difference between just the plain stated win large primers and 8 1/2's. Also, what's the difference between the plain stated rem and the 9 1/2's? Is 1 supposed to be a magnum or like feds gold medal match?

9 1/2's are magnum, 8 1/2's are standard. 7 1/2's are standard, but soft cups and prone to piercing. Require less pressure rounds use.
So a WLR is the same, but not, as a 8 1/2. According to all of my Pressure Trace results, all of Remington's primers, both LR & SR, are colder than other brands. Winchester LR primers are the hottest of all, and Federal SR primers are the hottest by only a small margin over Winchester. CCI are just above Remington.

Cheers.

9 1/2's are magnum, 8 1/2's are standard. 7 1/2's are standard, but soft cups and prone to piercing. Require less pressure rounds use.
So a WLR is the same, but not, as a 8 1/2. According to all of my Pressure Trace results, all of Remington's primers, both LR & SR, are colder than other brands. Winchester LR primers are the hottest of all, and Federal SR primers are the hottest by only a small margin over Winchester. CCI are just above Remington.

Cheers.
So what did you use for a standard to compare to? I'm going to be reloading ,but only for shooting in warm to hot temps as this is for load development. It wouldn't be an issue if I was only using my trusty cci's I've used for 39 years exclusively. Thanks for any additional info.

Remington 7 1/2 are bench rest SR and thicker cups designed for the 223 Remington. Remington 6 1/2 are the softer SR primers and not recommended for the 223.
Thanks for that info also. The more I have the better. Thanks again!

So what did you use for a standard to compare to? I'm going to be reloading ,but only for shooting in warm to hot temps as this is for load development. It wouldn't be an issue if I was only using my trusty cci's I've used for 39 years exclusively. Thanks for any additional info.
You've been reloading for 39 years and don't know the differences in primers 🤔

Cheers.
Just one clarification. There are both 9 1/2M Magnum and 9 1/2 Standard. I have both

Last edited:
No standard as such, all primers were tested with identical components using the pressure trace system, those with shorter and lower start pressure indicate a lower case pressure before the powder ignites, this is a valid test of the brisance of any primer. Both small rifle, large rifle and pistol primers were tested.

Cheers.

You've been reloading for 39 years and don't know the differences in primers 🤔
That's not correct, but is correct o_O 🤫 . I've only used cci's (200, 250, 300, 350, 400 and 500's until I bought a 300bo that I use 450's in) as they are the extent of my primer knowledge. I the last year I've branched out to Fed's via gold medal match (215's to be exact).

Just one clarification. There are both 9 1/2M Magnum and 9 1/2 Standard. I have both
I checked the 9 1/2's I have and it does have the "M" after the numbers and states magnum on the box. So, are the 8 1/2's both, but doesn't state magnum or not on the box as it being the same?

Comes down to one thing: What primers one has on hand. Some are hotter than others and powder will make a difference in respect to velocity. Yes there is a difference in primers even if stated as IE: Win Match, Rem 7 1/2 ( match ) ,Federal etc its the cone when primer is fired. Same for BR primers / Match

I checked the 9 1/2's I have and it does have the "M" after the numbers and states magnum on the box. So, are the 8 1/2's both, but doesn't state magnum or not on the box as it being the same?
In Remington I only have 3 types. Thats all I can confirm. 9 1/2M (LRMagnum), 9 1/2 (LRStandard), 7 1/2 SR Bench Rest