6.5x55 gurus help plz

6mm06guy

Ok guys I have two old mauser I'm wanting to convert to 6.5x55, brownells has pre fit barrels that are 24" 1-9 twist. Will these barrels shoot 140gr pills? I also have a remington 700 I'm wanting to build in 6.5x55 for long range and I see that pac-nor offers a no throat barrel, has anyone had any experience with that chambering? Where do i get a reamer to match 140 gr bergers.

I recommend a 26" barrel for the 6.5x55, but a 24" barrel is OK. I have a 6.5x55 and a .264 Win Mag with 9 twist barrels. Both shoot 140 VLD's very accurately, but may not do so in all conditions. I have tested the 6.5x55 down to around 1000 feet ASL and 40*F.

An 8 twist is a safer bet. My 8 twist 6.5-284 performed better in the wind vs my 6.5x55 @ very similar muzzle velocity, which I attribute to Brian Litz's research showing that effective bc can be degraded by inadequate bullet stability.

I don't have any experience with a no-throat or short-throat chamber. My 6.5x55 chamber was cut with a standard reamer and performs very well. I don't see a reason to obsess over throat length for this cartridge. If you want something other than the standard 6.5x55 chamber, I believe the 6.5x55 AI would yield more benefit than tinkering with throat dimensions.

I had a 1:8.5 twist 6.5×55 that would handle all bullet weights up to and including 160gr RN bullets, then I had an ex military '96 in 6.5x55 with 1:9" twist, it, too, would handle all bullet weights, but, I shot military comp and we HAD to use mil surp 139gr FMJ spitzers, these berdan primed mil surp cartridges were outstanding in the accuracy department, very small groups were possible at 500yrds, and more.

I don't think you'll have a problem with the 1:9" twist.

Cheers.
:D

I have a surplus of 140 gr bullets and I'm wanting to use the 2 mausers one for me and one for my dad,to use for a deer rifle. The remington I want to build as a bench gun as an alternative to a 6.5x284, because already have so much brass for the swede. Would a longer than 28" be better for long range?

I would rather have a 1-8 twist, but midway and Brownells both only show 1-9. Does anyone know of a cheap 1-8 Mauser prechambered barrel? Are the shaw barrels any good? They looked like they ran $150-180. Thanks for the advice guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.