Fluting

West Calamus

Question to you gunsmiths. I am thinking of ordering a barrel threaded, chambered and crowned from the barrel manufacture.. This barrel maker does not flute nor believes in fluting barrels. Question is should I have my gunsmith just flute and headspace or do Gunsmiths prefer to do the chambering and crown if they do the fluting? Yes I know I should just call my gunsmith and ask him but I feel like I bug him enough and just trying to have a heads up on this thinking process.

Must be a Shilen. Most of my barrel changes are Bartlein #4 contour 5Rs. Straight fluting by my gunsmith along w/ everything else and they shoot sub 1/2 MOA. Usually takes 4-6 months to get the build back but he's good and I can wait. One man operation. Always send a dummy round so you get your desired freebore.

Must be a Shilen. Most of my barrel changes are Bartlein #4 contour 5Rs. Straight fluting by my gunsmith along w/ everything else and they shoot sub 1/2 MOA. Usually takes 4-6 months to get the build back but he's good and I can wait. One man operation. Always send a dummy round so you get your desired freebore.
You are correct Rhett it is a Shilen. I have had awful good luck with their barrels. Not opposed to a Bartlien. Just trying to match up the cosmetics with the fluting on a Extreme weather. I know the prudent thing to do is call the gunsmith and see what he has to say.

My 264WM and 6.5PRC both built on M70EWs w/ Bartliens. My smiith bead blasts the barrels to match the receivers finish. I forget what he adds to the blasting media but he has a sample piece of barrel w/ the different finishes. Pretty cool.

I would get a different barrel maker theres plenty of good ones out there that will flute it will be the most economical way too.
^^^^^ the best idea! I have straight fluted a few on a manual vertical mill, and years ago I fluted one on a horizontal mill. Set-up time is a killer. Having to make the 'jacks' to support the barrel took time. On the manual mills I could not optimize cutter RPM or feed rate, and I had to be there to get the cutter off the work at the end of the cut, so it didn't sit there and rub. Those things take time, and time is the one thing that's hard to give away. On a CNC cutter RPM and feed rate is optimized and the program will move the cutter away from the 'work' at the end of cut. Indexing the barrel for the next cut can be programmed if a 4th axis is available and used, but the 'jacks'/supports still have to backed-off before the barrel is indexed, and then moved back against the barrel to keep deflection in check. On a manual, the side of the barrel to be fluted has to be parallel to the table. On a CNC that is programed, which is much faster than indicating the barrel to parallel. I don't have a pic of the cutter I prefer and used in this 'puter, but it's not a ball end mill. Barrel makers who flute/octagon do this work on a regular basis, and do several a day, so they have the tools, equipment and 'know-how' to do it efficiently, and on a cost effective basis. Choose a barrel maker that will flute. But, I'd have the gunsmith chamber, index the flutes and headspace.

^^^^^ the best idea! I have straight fluted a few on a manual vertical mill, and years ago I fluted one on a horizontal mill. Set-up time is a killer. Having to make the 'jacks' to support the barrel took time. On the manual mills I could not optimize cutter RPM or feed rate, and I had to be there to get the cutter off the work at the end of the cut, so it didn't sit there and rub. Those things take time, and time is the one thing that's hard to give away. On a CNC cutter RPM and feed rate is optimized and the program will move the cutter away from the 'work' at the end of cut. Indexing the barrel for the next cut can be programmed if a 4th axis is available and used, but the 'jacks'/supports still have to backed-off before the barrel is indexed, and then moved back against the barrel to keep deflection in check. On a manual, the side of the barrel to be fluted has to be parallel to the table. On a CNC that is programed, which is much faster than indicating the barrel to parallel. I don't have a pic of the cutter I prefer and used in this 'puter, but it's not a ball end mill. Barrel makers who flute/octagon do this work on a regular basis, and do several a day, so they have the tools, equipment and 'know-how' to do it efficiently, and on a cost effective basis. Choose a barrel maker that will flute. But, I'd have the gunsmith chamber, index the flutes and headspace.
Thanks for the advice shortgrass

You are correct Rhett it is a Shilen. I have had awful good luck with their barrels. Not opposed to a Bartlien. Just trying to match up the cosmetics with the fluting on a Extreme weather. I know the prudent thing to do is call the gunsmith and see what he has to say.

In most cases, if the gunsmith routinely does barrel fluting, then he would rather do the fluting himself because it's easier for him to time the flutes on the action. There's several gunsmiths who doesn't do fluting and orders the barrel already fluted. Kampfeld customs does very good barrel fluting if you wanted to send just the barrel to him but I would check with your gunsmith first.

As a manual machine guy I'd never do fluting, just like I don't do major contouring. These are processes that are far less costly done on a machining center.
I've got to be able to get four jacking screws to hold the barrel in the lathe spiders in order to be able to machine it.
Some of the crazy skeletonized and more "involved" patterns would be much more complicated to set up and hold in the spindle and would need to be sent out/done after the chambering work.

As you said, you need to discuss your options with the riflesmith doing the work.

Question to you gunsmiths. I am thinking of ordering a barrel threaded, chambered and crowned from the barrel manufacture.. This barrel maker does not flute nor believes in fluting barrels. Question is should I have my gunsmith just flute and headspace or do Gunsmiths prefer to do the chambering and crown if they do the fluting? Yes I know I should just call my gunsmith and ask him but I feel like I bug him enough and just trying to have a heads up on this thinking process.
I had a Hart #4 barrel fluted then chambered by a gunsmith, turned out to be a real shooter

In most cases, if the gunsmith routinely does barrel fluting, then he would rather do the fluting himself because it's easier for him to time the flutes on the action. There's several gunsmiths who doesn't do fluting and orders the barrel already fluted. Kampfeld customs does very good barrel fluting if you wanted to send just the barrel to him but I would check with your gunsmith first.
Having fluted, threaded, chambered and head spaced barrels myself, and having machine experience since '74, and being a 2yr gunsmith school grad (with 30+yrs experience 'smithing, now), I see it no easier to flute & time myself or to use a barrel already fluted by the barrel maker. The barrel has to be timed for proper flute location either way. Ain't no magic to it! Just simple math and machine skills...