Barrel Fluting

ofdscooby

I bought a benchmark barrel awhile back it shoots great it is a little heavier than I wanted for hunting can the barrel still be fluted and how much can I get out of a Sendero contour

I bought a benchmark barrel awhile back it shoots great it is a little heavier than I wanted for hunting can the barrel still be fluted and how much can I get out of a Sendero contour

My advice would be, If it is shooting great, Don't mess with it.

That being said, I never recommend fluting a used barrel, To much can go wrong and effect the accuracy.

Some have good luck with fluting later. I have not.

Just Me

J E CUSTOM

Even if it has no effect on how it shoots, you will only remove about 6 ounces from a Sendero contour.

I'll leave it then, the more I get into long range the heavier my guns get but I guess it's really not that bad I'm just not used to it yet

That's no lie. I used to think of a 10 pound rifle as heavy and 15 pound rifles as stupid heavy. Now 15 pounds is feeling pretty sporty for a long range rig..

As a mill guy i can tell you i have destroyed a good number of lathe turned parts by simply performing my task in the wrong order of operation. Its pretty common to destroy a prototype because we are unable to predict how stress will rear its ugly head during a machining operation. Over time we see patterns and begin to head them off. I think barrel fluting is dangerous to do unless done by the manufacturer for the same reason. They understand their process and will flute a barrel at the right time. Doing fluting after the manufacturer has finished their work is taking a chance in my opinion.

Get with Karl Kampfeld (Kampfeld Customs) he will flute your bbl and you will not lose anything in accuracy. He has fluted several bbls for me that were already chambered and ALL have shot as good when I got them back. Karl is first class in workmanship and customer service.

If you want to have a benchmark barrel fluted have benchmark do the fluting. If they won't flute a used barrel then it is probably best to not have it fluted.

Karl is great, but we don't recommend fluting after final install.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.