Barrel Fluting

Desert Fox

Is barrel fluting will affect barrel accuracy after it has already been contoured. I have Rock 338 barrel in MTU contour that I want fluted to reduce weight. Is re-contouring the barrel to reduce weight is better than fluting. Gunsmith are welcome to chime-in.

If you don't get stupid with the flute depth and try to make the barrel weigh somthing that it shoulden't then you should be OK , but your smith or whoever flutes it need to lap it well after or you could end up with some loose spots in the bore , its a alot safer bet to flute a cut rifled barrel after its done than a buttoned as they are less likely to have stress in them. I have seen and heard of both types of barrel both shoot as well after fluting and also being ruined after fluting.

My advice would be either to ship it back to Rock and have them flute it or to a smith that is going to take care in the job and do a good lapping job after word.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.