First long range rifle

G

I bought myself my first long range rifle a Rem.7mm rum sendero s.s. fluted barrel. The trigger has been set at 2 pounds.I bought this rifle to hunt whitetalls I have broke the barrel in now I would like to reload for hunting and target shooting. Im new to long range shooting but I like the rifle so for. All I have shot is Rem. 140 grain nosler partions. They shot good but Im sure some of you have some loads iI could try Im open to all sugestions. THANK YOU

S1 have you ever heard anything about the A-Max bullets pencilling (not expanding) at LR? i've got a friend that built a 22-6mm and was getting 3600 from the 75 A-Max, but experienced variable bullet performance on coyotes.

For once I will have to agree with S1.I have a 27" barreled 7STW thats just about to get a 7 Ultra reamer run in it.I want to get away from the belted case.And from what I've seen and heard.H1000 is the powder for the heavy bullets

Boyd,

Looking at Nosler #5 and H870 seems to come up as the best vel for the 160 and heavier bullets in either the Rem mag and STW. Something to also consider. The WC872 may also be good.

Going to build a STW and replace the WBY that I have been playing with the last few years. Going to use the 162gr Amax or SST. Should give me the same recoil but better wind bucking performance.

I hope that it will fly similarly to my 300RUM and 240gr MK. Those MK are too expensive for extensive plinking. The Hornady's at half the cost, will be better.

Jerry

Jerry,I have used 870 and 872.....The best powder I've found for my stw is Retumbo...It pushes 120gr BT's to a touch over 3700 with small clover leaf groups..Does the same with the 162's at 3300......

Si, 3000 yards is fricken far out, but it would still be fun to try.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.