First serious long range rifle

You will be happy with the Bartlein barrels. As far as Grayboe stocks, they are a good budget stock. I have two of them on a couple factory rifles. They are a bit heavy, but very rigid.

Ok you all convinced me. Bartlein it is. Going with a sendero contour. 26" 1-7.5 twist. That should stabilize the heavier 105 grain bullets.

Elkeater, yes, that 1-7.5 twist should work fine. I'm shooting Berger 105 Hybrid Targets in my 6x47L, & it does a fine job.... Good Luck with your new build! Idaho-5R

Unless your looking to shoot some subsonic stuff or the 110smk or 115's from Berger or older DTAC an 8tw is more than enough especially a cut barrel for 105-108 class of slugs. Don't overlook the 107smk when you start shooting. Not quite as slick as a hybrid but they shoot very well also

I am using a 8 twist and shooting 105 vld a lot slower then the lapua will be shooting them. Unless you plan to shoot something heavier 8 twist is fine.

I have used Krieger, Bartlein, and the other name brand barrels with good success. IMO, the chambering and load can be as much of a performance factor as the choice of barrel. Observing performances of shooters over a several year period in high volume/hot competition, it seems that the most notable have usually involved a Krieger barrel. My current Surgeon/Kreiger-Med Palma 26" in 6.5x47 used for competition is one of those "mystical" rifles that delivers exceptional performance accross the full spectrum of requirements(accuracy, ES, zero, shot count, temperature, etc)..... with very little effoert.

First of all you going to like the 6 creedmoor. 1:7.5 twist Bartlein and 105 Berger's do the job in two of my 6 creedmoors. With that said, my most accurate rifle has a Proof barrel.
Load or buy the Berger's. Copper Creek has excellent loaded ammunition i run in my hunting rifles. The 105 Hunting VLD Bergers are great for range practice, competition and devastating on game.

Hope is to shoot the bergers. I'm really starting to get some things dialed with my idea of exactly what I want in this rifle. Figured I'd throw some ideas around on here while I deeply contemplated exactly what I want.

I've settled on a 26" bartlein varmint contour barrel. A timney trigger, grayboe renegade stock, mesa precision m5 DBM, and a few other odds and ends like a better recoil lug, titanium firing pin, and I'm thinking of going with a Leupold vx-3i LR for the glass.

I purchased a Krieger a couple years ago and had Krieger do the clambering as well. They wouldn't flute the barrel and in fact stated if I had it flutes they wouldn't warranty the barrel. Without a doubt the most accurate and consistent rifle I own. I do have a twin to that rifle with a Brux 5 r that is slightly faster (about 35-50 fps) but it doesn't show the consistency of the Krieger. With that the Brux only took about 20-25 rounds to clean up where the Krieger was closer to 60 rounds before the copper issues resolved. I'm running Berger 215s in both and yes I did have both fluted.

I wanted to get a Bartlein for my latest build but waiting 8 months vs 3 at Krieger, I just stuck with Krieger. PRS blog shows some interesting trends in barrel manuf preferences.

You can get a Bart at a lot of places today with a credit card. Bullets.com Amazon, bugholes and that's off the top of my head

Even though the OP has made up his mind...or his smith did for him, I can't disagree. I have used Krieger's and even have an X-Caliber one as well. All the barrels give super consistent velocities compared to factory barrels and accuracy is crazy good. If you were on a budget, there are other good barrel manufactures out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.