Not my first long range rifle

Chopper818

I own a lot of long range benchrest type guns but my only hunting rifle is
a crappy browning i bought on gunbroker for 440 to practice on.

I realized I need a hunting rifle in 300 wsm with a heavier than sporter
barrel and a trigger I can replace or adjust. I'm used to spending money
on my guns and I could build another custom but I'm wondering if the
Sako or the Browning white gold or one of the other factory guns might
meet my needs.

I go 2000 for the right rifle. I'd also buy a premium scope. I need a hunting rig
that suits me as well as my other rifles do.

I'd love to know what you guys think

I own a lot of long range benchrest type guns but my only hunting rifle is
a crappy browning i bought on gunbroker for 440 to practice on.

I realized I need a hunting rifle in 300 wsm with a heavier than sporter
barrel and a trigger I can replace or adjust. I'm used to spending money
on my guns and I could build another custom but I'm wondering if the
Sako or the Browning white gold or one of the other factory guns might
meet my needs.

I go 2000 for the right rifle. I'd also buy a premium scope. I need a hunting rig
that suits me as well as my other rifles do.

I'd love to know what you guys think
If that 2k is for a bare rifle you have a whole lot of good ways to go.

You can pick up a cheap rifle for the action, have it trued and a quality barrel installed for under 1500.00 and that leaves you enough for a nice stock.

You could go to an outfit like Snowy Mountain Rifles and have them build you one from scratch.

you can shop the classifieds here at LRH and probably pick up a nice custom or semi custom for that price.

Chopper... Being a benchrest guy... You are probably used to some outstanding accuracy at long distances. I guess the question nobody has asked is what are you planning to do with your hunting rig in the field? What game are you intending to shoot and at what distance are you hoping to reach out to? I know you have indicated a 300 wsm as a caliber you are interested in, but were I to make a recommendation to a friend, the questions above are the first things I'd ask.

Re: Not my first long range

Great question! Elk is the game. Working backwards...I'm thinking of topping this build with the Huskemaw 5-15. With that much glass I should be fairly comfortable at 400 yards and be able to reach another 100 or 200 if need be

[/B][/B]
Chopper... Being a benchrest guy... You are probably used to some outstanding accuracy at long distances. I guess the question nobody has asked is what are you planning to do with your hunting rig in the field? What game are you intending to shoot and at what distance are you hoping to reach out to? I know you have indicated a 300 wsm as a caliber you are interested in, but were I to make a recommendation to a friend, the questions above are the first things I'd ask.

Re: Not my first long range

Great question! Elk is the game. Working backwards...I'm thinking of topping this build with the Huskemaw 5-15. With that much glass I should be fairly comfortable at 400 yards and be able to reach another 100 or 200 if need be

[/B][/B]

Wow... With 600 yards as your desired maximun effective range, you've got a ton of options caliber-wise that would fulfill your needs, and the 300 wsm with the right bullet & powder combo would reach out to 1k and then some, as well as the 300 wm. I guess the next thing I'm wondering is whether you plan to be stationary... Spotting from vantage, or on the move, carrying your rifle up and down slopes during your time in the field. Each plays to how I might recommend one gun over another. If more stationary type hunting... I'd go with a heavy barreled option, and if you are planning to be on the move, then I'd lighten things up, as much as possible and perhaps even go with a different caliber that produces less recoil given that lighter rifles produce more felt recoil. The 7mm rem mag comes to mind if you aren't tied to the big 30s. There's more than enough punch in the 7rm to bust elk way out past 600, but I'm not sure why you indicated to 300wsm and my first thought is that you may already reload for it for your benchrest shooting. If that's the case, and you go with a lighter rig for mobility... Then whatever you get... I'd highly recommend a brake to offset the recoil that will undoubtedly be produced in a 300wsm light weight option. I tend to be drawn to heavy barreled guns and then suffer over the treks I make, but it's a love affair Im willing to endure to go heavy in the field. I usually feel it afterwards!

You've got tons of options if you go custom...depending on how much coin you want to throw down... But there are some amazing factory options as well. The sendero and laredo come to mind, if you are looking for accurate heavy options, and if you are looking at going really light, there are some great carbon fiber barreled options that stunned me when I first saw one. Thought I was looking at a light barreled 22-250 and it was actually a 300 wm. I'll say this one more time though... If you go light with any of the magnums, please don't try on the macho man britches... Get a brake. The rifle I just mentioned, was brake less and well...it beat the heck out of the guy trying to find a good load for it and I actually was feeling sorry for him by the time he called it quits... And still he had what I consider horrid groups out to 100 yds. 3-5". The poor guy could hardly lift his hand to shake mine goodbye.

Now some guys are going to recommend even lighter bullets for your intended range, 280, 270, 6.5x284, etc... And I definitely think it's user preference. But... Given that you already shoot distance off the bench and likely have the discipline to shoot longer distances, if you are like me, you'll always find that the elk decide that if you plan to max out at 600 yards, that they'll be teasing you from 675 yds with no way to close the gap. I think it's better to have more than less in these instances, so I think your wsm is a fine choice.

Good luck Chopper and I hope you find a rifle that makes you smile when you pull it out if the gun cabinet. I'll be crossing my fingers that whatever you go with, that it likes whatever you decide to feed it...and keeps em tight.

Last edited:
Ok... I must admit that one light weight option I own is in 300 wm and its a browning Abolt with the boss brake and scopeless, it weighs in at 7.3lbs. I've been using 168 gr berger VLDs out of it and recoil has been quite tame at respectable velocities, however, just decided to pick up some 215 hybrids and ran some loads last night. My beginning load was 71.5 gr of Reloader 22 and Quickload estimated the velocity at 2735. In actuality, it came in at a blistering 2975 which stunned me as QL is usually in the ballpark. As I wasn't seeing any pressure signs, I pushed up til I did, at 3017 fps. Even braked, she was bucking pretty good and I woke up this morning to a fairly mean bruise on my right shoulder.

I'll be backing off to a velocity of 2825 or less, which is the max recommended speed given my load setup. Even though I'll lose some wind bucking efficiency by dropping back velocity, it's worth it not to develop a flinch, at least it is to this guy! I've never been beaten up by this rifle in the past... But the 215s at 2975-3017 had me paying the toll regardless. There are better bakes than the boss system, but it is quite effective with the 168s. I can only imagine what my shoulder would look like this morning if I didn't have a brake!

Thank you all for offering your thoughts. Has anyone had any experience with
Fierce Arms? They make a great looking rifle with a proprietary action and the
price is not bad. I noticed that someone else on the site inquired about them
but nobody appeared to have any hands on experience.
The base model is 2750

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.