My first long range rifle, what can i expect

what twist will it take to run them 117 matrix 1:7? I looked real hard at the 115 VLD but like Outlaw stated just wasnt much of a B.C. gain. Plus BenchMark is natorious for thier 1:8 twist

Depends on the velocity. After speaking with the owner... (can't remember his name). He was confident with my 1-8" @ 3200+ and my altitude 4400'. there would be no trouble stabilizing. Below is a Copy/paste from JBM's stability calculator... Altitude is probably sea level... I had to SWAG the bullet length... Miller states 1.300-2.000 is good stability... it should work....

Input Data Caliber: 0.243 in-- Bullet Weight: 117.0 gr --Bullet Length: 1.400 in-- Muzzle Velocity: 3250.0 ft/s Barrel Twist: 8.0 in-- Temperature: 70.0 °F-- Pressure: 29.92 in Hg-- Output Data Stability: 1.230 http://www.jbmballistics.com/contac...= in Hg tmp.value = 70.0 tmp.units = °F

You are of course now obligated to posting a range report on this thread :). I am interested in this as I am planning a 6.5 x 284 as my next build and this might be a different option.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.