First long range hunting rig/build!

I was originally leaning towards the 7mm rem mag because it is a little faster, little flatter with still good energy at the target but i feel like the shooting 210 bergers out of the 300. win mag would just do it a little bit better. I think they are just about tied.

does anyone have any advice towards the build itself? barrels, what should be done?
I'd call Kreiger and let them do the full meal deal on it. The'll even square and true the action and do the final fitting as well.

Of course if you have the budget we have some good custom builders right here that can do an awesome job for you as well.

If it was me and I was going all out, i'd call Kevin Cram and talk with him (montour county rifles) I would use a 28" 10 twist .900" at the muzzle brux barrel or rock 5r and have him install a muscle brake for faster follow ups, also have hime blue print the action and flute the bolt, install a tubbs or ptg speedlock, and a jewell trigger, and have it put in a manners or McMillan so it can have weight added for balance. Then you can spend 750 to 1500 for glass. Sounds exspensive but I'm sure it'll hold 1/2 moa past 1k and in your case last 4000+ rounds.

I already have a optics, Got myself a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm FFP reticle. i want this rifle to be as light as posslible. something around 10LBS if possible.

I already have a optics, Got myself a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm FFP reticle. i want this rifle to be as light as posslible. something around 10LBS if possible.
There's a balance between light and precision. You won't find many precision rifles under 9lbs.

A used sendero stock with a sendero Taper barrel would put you in around that 8.5 lbs plus scope.

The B&C M-40 would be a little lighter possibly and the A-3 sporter a bit heavier.

For long range precision though I really wouldn't recommend going with a smaller taper barrel than that.

You can use a heavy barrel at 28" and keep the weight down with 8 straight flutes or have it snake fluted which looks cool as well, but I say 28" to get the extra speed.

I was thinking a 26" #5 contour barrel, long enough for velocity, but short enough to carry.

Whats the difference between pillar bedding and glass bedding?

I was thinking a 26" #5 contour barrel, long enough for velocity, but short enough to carry.

Whats the difference between pillar bedding and glass bedding?
With PB you drill out the bolt holes and insert steel, aluminum or nylon insterts so that the action is resting on them slightly above the stock.

Most will then glass bed the lug area and rear tang area as well to lock it into place.

Glass bedding is typically using a 2 part epoxy resin like brownells accra glass and putting it under the recoil lug and tang, where as most competent builders do this as well as mount 2 aluminum pillars in the stock that your action screws will go through. You stand to lose an easy 50+fps for every 2" of barrel with that bullet weight.

Thank you,

So i should expect or request both be done to help out with accuracy.

so right now im looking at
- Macmillan HTG or A5 stock,
- pillar/glass bedded a trued 700 action
- 26-28" #5 contour barrel
- Jewel trigger
- fluted bolt,
- muzzle break.

is there anything else people would suggest? what kind of price am i looking at here?

Thank you,

- Jewel trigger
- fluted bolt,
- muzzle break.

is there anything else people would suggest? what kind of price am i looking at here?
The price is gong to vary from around 1,750.00-5,5000 depending on who does the work by the time you add it all up.

I like to use a Tubbs or Callahan (ptg) speedlock firing pin assembly, its 60 buck well spent for the much faster lock times. With kevin probably 24-2800$

Thank you,

- Jewel trigger
- fluted bolt,
- muzzle break.

I like this list so far. Try a look at the mcmillan a3 sporter with the edge package. Mine weights 30 oz. I would go with the 7rm in a 26-27" benchmark 5.5 contour no break 1-9 twist and shoot the 180 bergers or 190 gr matrix vld! Anything smaller than moose shoot the 168's. That rig will weight 9.5lbs. And kill anything in north america. Higher ballistic coeficient and more downrange energy with less recoil and no need for a brake. No brake saves $250. Total build the way you describe is around $2000-2500. Good luck.

My 2 cents worth of info. You can also search the sell forums for the gun you want. I was going to build a gun but instead bought one from a previous member. I got a custom gun with everything i wanted and paid about $1000 less than it would cost me to build plus did not have to wait 6mo to 1yr.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.