First Long Range Hunting Build

It's good that you upgraded from the shaw barrel to a Shilen, I have reworked so many of the Shaw barrels for my customers it isn't even funny. I use quite a few shilens and they are a good barrel.

My advice would be to wait and save a little more money and buy better glass than either of those two. I owned quite a few Bushnell's and to be honest they are the bottom of the barrel in most respects.

Since you are stepping up to the 6.5x284 (great caliber) you need much better glass as you will almost certainly be stepping up and trying to stretch your abilities to the limits of the cartridge range wise.

You're going to end up with a rifle worth a grand. Don't insult it, or limit yourself to cheap glass.

As a rule you should be willing to spend more on the glass than on the rifle you put it on.

Check the classifieds here, Over and Sniper's hide, and Ebay.

For the money the Leupold 3.5x10x50, and Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44's and Leupold 4-16 or even the older model straight 16xLeupolds will serve you better.

Also, go for the largest diameter objective you can possibly afford in a quality scope. The extra few minutes of shooting time they afford you can be the difference in a once in a lifetime trophy and a "**** I wish I had more light" kind of hunt.

This should be a great rifle for you if it all comes together right. Be willing to spend at least 450.00-800.00 on a good used scope, or one of the HD SS's like the one in the review. That's probably the bottom end of scopes I'd recommend.

That's my take on it anyhow.

If I could come up with the extra money, what are your guys thoughts on either one of these?

Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope

Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope

If I could come up with the extra money, what are your guys thoughts on either one of these?

The vortex viper is a really good scope for the money. On par with the HD mode SS's.

I've not seen or read anything to get me particularly excited about the Weaver's.

Weaver has been so many evolutions and revolutions during my lifetime I just have very little faith in their products.

Another good scope are the Burris XTR tactical Series, but again not on part with some of the others recommended.

I have the regular Viper and it does all I need it to do. I have the 6.5-20x44. It's a very good scope and consistent. I would suggest a Vortex to anybody. The Weaver's have definitely been through the mill, but the new tactical model and even the buck gold are made pretty heavy duty. They have all brass and steel internals now. Weaver has generally had pretty good glass. There are bench rest guys that swear by the T-36 which has been winning matches for decades (Not suggesting the T-36 due to being a bench scope, just a quality item made by Weaver). If you can afford the PST, go that route.

Tank

There is noting but good being said about the PST......

I have one of the older Weaver Tactical scopes (1" tube, mil dot 4.5-14) and have nothing but good to say about it. It's a really great scope. The only downer is the 1/8 MOA clicks. There's just too many of them. My discussions with the weaver people say that I would like the new one even better. But what would one expect them to say.

Keep your eye on SWFAs list Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more!. That's how I got my weaver.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.